NH non resident permit?

14 days? At the risk of being overly redundant, it took me 10 minutes to get a PA non res. The deputy looked at my DL, had no interest in my LTC, typed my information into the computer, got a response, and then had me stand in front of the camera. Half of the 10 minutes was for the picture to print and then he ran it through the laminator, like the RMV used to use.

AL was almost the same when my son went in to get his CCW.

There is no reason for any process to take longer.

OTOH, there are people in RI who have been waiting for over a year for a CCW from some towns. It doesn't seem to matter if it's resident or non, the PDs take their own sweet time despite the fact that the RI Supreme Court has stated that 90 days is sufficient.

III works across the country and any decent department runs your BOP (in-state) and III when you get pulled over for speeding! It takes only about 2-3 minutes to really run a background check on someone. Mental health check is more complicated, but this should give you some idea. That's why NH can do it in 14 days (per law). In MA, most of the reason it takes longer to process is laziness on the PD (wrt background checks) plus a multi-step process across multiple agencies.

According to NH State Police Permit and Licensing department they are not currently processing non-resident permits that did not submit a resident CCW license along with the application. They are currently reviewing procedures/processes with their legal department and are holding applications until a decision is made. They provided an option of either 1) sending the application back or 2) holding the application until a decision is made.

According to NH State Police Permit and Licensing department they are not currently processing non-resident permits that did not submit a resident CCW license along with the application. They are currently reviewing procedures/processes with their legal department and are holding applications until a decision is made. They provided an option of either 1) sending the application back or 2) holding the application until a decision is made.

That's nice of them. However, they still have only 14 days to either approve and deny (in writing) your application. What they want to do is not the law. Get a lawyer on their ass!

No photograph/fingerprint shall be required or used... for a resident or nonresident

Do they take fingerprints for instate applicants? If not, they may not have the authority to require that either.
Specifically forbidden by state law:
RSA 159:6 II said:
No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.

Didn't the courts just tell them it wasn't required?

That they did, the information i got was via voicemail since i missed the call. So they received the application today and the countdown begins. I may call back tomorrow and try to get more details.

Didn't the courts just tell them it wasn't required?

So a copy of my MA LTC-A wasn't required? I only sent them the front, the sent it back, with a note that they needed the back copied too.

So I copied the front AND the back, sent it in, and got it 4 weeks later.

That they did, the information i got was via voicemail since i missed the call. So they received the application today and the countdown begins. I may call back tomorrow and try to get more details.

Weird, mine was delivered to them on 6/7/16 at 7:19am and I haven't heard anything from them. Of course I did include a copy of the court ruling so maybe they don't think I'm worth talking to. Doesn't matter, the clock started ticking on the 7th.

So today is 14 days since they received my application (6/7/16 at 7:19am) and normally I'd wait a few days just in case it's in the mail, but my check hasn't cleared. So I called and went through the menu and the recording told me applications were running about 4 weeks...Didn't I hear that they only had 14 days? Anyone have a cite on this for the non-resident permit?

Before I leave a message asking about the status I'd like to see where the 14 day limit comes from myself. I'm betting someone out their has the location memorized.

update: found the reference, call and left message asking for status.

Last edited:
So today is 14 days since they received my application (6/7/16 at 7:19am) and normally I'd wait a few days just in case it's in the mail, but my check hasn't cleared. So I called and went through the menu and the recording told me applications were running about 4 weeks...Didn't I hear that they only had 14 days? Anyone have a cite on this for the non-resident permit?

Before I leave a message asking about the status I'd like to see where the 14 day limit comes from myself. I'm betting someone out their has the location memorized.

update: found the reference, call and left message asking for status.

Didn't get a call back but the check cleared today, was deposited by NH on the 20th.

So, a Mass. resident over 21 years old, with an FIC that is not a PP, can get a New Hampshire pistol permit ?

That *should* be the case now. If one passes the same background check as a NH resident, then it should issue. The court held that the law does not permit a different standard or extra hurdles.

So, a Mass. resident over 21 years old, with an FIC that is not a PP, can get a New Hampshire pistol permit ?

Actually its a MA resident without any permit, who is not PP, can get a NH permit. Kind of like Utah but without the training requirement.

I just received the NH non-resident license in the mail today exactly 14 calendar days after NH received the application!! [cheers][party]

I did NOT have a resident (RI) CCW during the application process which means NH DoS is complying with the recent court ruling that a NH non-resident does not need a resident license prior to applying to NH.

I just received the NH non-resident license in the mail today exactly 14 calendar days after NH received the application!! [cheers][party]

I did NOT have a resident (RI) CCW during the application process which means NH DoS is complying with the recent court ruling that a NH non-resident does not need a resident license prior to applying to NH.

I saw this and thought "dam I'll have to call and see what's up with mine", they received it on 6/7. But I figured I'd check the mail first [smile] and there it was.
Got my non-res for Utah and NH....but still unsuitable in MA (although I did just drop of an FID app to see what would happen).

My wife's arrived today -- 15 days after she mailed the application to Concord.
She did include a copy of her MA LTC.

Not a requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no statutory penalty for missing the RSA 159:6 "14 day" deadline, and NHSP often falls behind on issuing non-resident permits.

There should be. New law should require SP to issue it within 14 days or forfeit the fee and refund the applicant.

Is Anyone aware if failing to notify the NH SP permitting office about a change of address cause for revocation or cancelling of the non-resident permit?

When you move to NH, your non-resident P&R is immediately revoked. Needs fixing.

Is Anyone aware if failing to notify the NH SP permitting office about a change of address cause for revocation or cancelling of the non-resident permit?
Doesn't look like it, as 159:6-b wouldn't apply.

Under SAF-C2100, if your home-state LTC is revoked (e.g. you moved to a new state), that would be an issue, but I haven't seen published rules after the latest rules.

Hey guys new to the forum but was wondering if you guys could help with some laws, in NH k was told with out an LTC you can either open carry or conceal carry unloaded but you are allowed to have a loaded mag in your pocket it just can't be in the gun? Is this true? Also do you think it is possible to get a resident permit when I have two houses there one of which we have owned for 20 years.

Both questions can be readily resolved for the low, low cost of $100 for four years.

do you think it is possible to get a resident permit when I have two houses there one of which we have owned for 20 years.
The success rate of getting a resident permit as a part-time resident landowner depends on the town you are in, police chiefs in towns with lots of vacation homes will often reject "resident" applications from summer residents.

in NH was told without an LTC you can either open carry or conceal carry unloaded but you are allowed to have a loaded mag in your pocket it just can't be in the gun? Is this true?
There are multiple [thread=101600]threads[/thread] on State of NH v. Oriol Dor, decided 8/7/2013

Both questions can be readily resolved for the low, low cost of $100 for four years.

Last edited:
Hey guys new to the forum but was wondering if you guys could help with some laws, in NH k was told with out an LTC you can either open carry or conceal carry unloaded but you are allowed to have a loaded mag in your pocket it just can't be in the gun? Is this true? Also do you think it is possible to get a resident permit when I have two houses there one of which we have owned for 20 years.

Loaded open carry without a license is legal, so long as you are not in a vehicle. You can carry unloaded in any manner of your choosing, including in a vehicle. You may have a loaded magazine with you, it just cannot be inserted into the firearm.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges.

I have no idea of the answer to the resident license as a part time resident question.

07/22/2016 - Sent the letter and $3 to NH via regular US mail for change of address on non-res P&L.
07/27/2016 - Received my new non-res license, in hand.

5 Day Turnaround!

Back
Top Bottom