• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non-resident LTC "reasons for application"

I am considering applying for a NH “non-resident pistol/revolver license.” In the space labeled ‘For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?’

The instructions on the reverse specify that you should note “All proper purposes” or “Personal protection” in the space. Is this really all they want? My Mass application statement of reasons is five pages long.

I guess what I am asking is: Is NH a “shall issue” state for non-residents?

Last edited:
It's a little confusing but yes, it is multiple choice. The answer you choose has no bearing on whether or not you get approved for a license.

I chose "all proper purposes" for my resident license if that helps.

Yes, NH is "shall issue" for both residents and non-residents. I don't recall I put on my last renewal application, but I simply put "personal protection" on my original. Hunting, target shooting and all the others (even ALP) are completely irrelevant, since you don't need any license unless you want to carry concealed, and there's only one reason you need to do that.

Ken

(1) I just put "all lawful purposes" on my NH non-res application. Got it in about 10 days.

(2) A fellow MA friend of mine, still in a MA state of mind when he filled out his NH NR application, put down a bunch of stuff. His application was returned to him with a note telling him "we don't want any of that. Just write down 'all lawful purposes' and send it back to us".

lagrangian said:
A fellow MA friend of mine, still in a MA state of mind when he filled out his NH NR application, put down a bunch of stuff. His application was returned to him with a note telling him "we don't want any of that. Just write down 'all lawful purposes' and send it back to us".

[laugh2] [rofl] Gotta love NH

all lawful purposes works just fine...the turn around time on my NH license was about 2 1/2 weeks...my friend got his in 3 weeks with all lawful purposes as the same reason for issuance

SiameseRat said:
can you get an ALP in NH if you have a "restricted" Class A from Assachusetts?

Jen, the only reason to get a CCW Permit in NH is to Conceal Carry. They don't need LTC or Pistol Permit to buy a gun there...only one to Conceal Carry, so ALL NH permits are ALP in NH.

SiameseRat said:
can you get an ALP in NH if you have a "restricted" Class A from Assachusetts?

Jen,

The answer is YES!

Someone in NH SP took it upon themselves to deny Ma**h***s with restricted LTCs some years ago. This was subsequently corrected as there was NO legal justification for that action per NH RSAs. Refreshing, isn't it?

LenS said:
Jen,

The answer is YES!

Someone in NH SP took it upon themselves to deny Ma**h***s with restricted LTCs some years ago. This was subsequently corrected as there was NO legal justification for that action per NH RSAs. Refreshing, isn't it?

If I didn't love certain aspects of this stupid state I'd pick up and move.

Give me a few more years for the novelty to wear off...

dreppucci007 said:
Jen, the only reason to get a CCW Permit in NH is to Conceal Carry. They don't need LTC or Pistol Permit to buy a gun there...only one to Conceal Carry, so ALL NH permits are ALP in NH.

Dave- thanks. I know that NH only needs LTC for CCWs. Just wasn't sure what their policy was on out of staters CCing if their home state gives it to them up the bum like ours does. That makes it a little more "delicate" in my mind. Stupid laws. [frown]

Does New Hampshire require fingerprinting for carrying a firearm for non residents ?
also: if not required can I purchase a firearm through a private party with ID ?
Thanks

Does New Hampshire require fingerprinting for carrying a firearm for non residents ?
also: if not required can I purchase a firearm through a private party with ID ?
Thanks
can you as a non resident of NH purchase a firearm from a NH resident? yes you will have to go through an FFL

I am considering applying for a NH “non-resident pistol/revolver license.” In the space labeled ‘For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?’

The instructions on the reverse specify that you should note “All proper purposes” or “Personal protection” in the space. Is this really all they want? My Mass application statement of reasons is five pages long.

I guess what I am asking is: Is NH a “shall issue” state for non-residents?
Just use the friggin reason that they tell you to use on the back of the friggin form. What's the friggin problem here? Any 10yo can read the friggin form for you if need be. If they didn't want that, they wouldn't tell you use it. Jack.

Last edited:
No

Fingerprinting has nothing to do with who can or can’t buy a gun in a state. You’re a non-resident of NH so you cannot buy from any private individual in NH. You can buy/transfer long guns and shotguns via a NH FFL if they’re legal in your home state. Pistols and others will need to go through your home state FFL.

You guys are funny. Stay in MA. We don’t need the tax increases that tend to come with Mass-migration.

Feel free to visit and spend your discretionary pennies while you imagine what it would be like to live in a place that does not assume you need a baby sitter and lets you keep almost all of your money.

Back
Top Bottom