NH: Help stop local gun bans… Act Now!

I asked in the other thread, but I don't think it was answered: doesn't New Hampshire have some form of mandamus?

RSA 491:14 states that petitions for writs of mandamus can be heard in Superior Court. The other references in a search were heavily weighted to zoning, planning, and development areas of the RSAs. So to answer the question, yes but it may not be a form that helps us with violations of preemption.

BTW, IANAL.

P.S. House session cancelled tomorrow due to the weather so if you haven't emailed your representatives yet you get an extra day.

RSA 491:14 states that petitions for writs of mandamus can be heard in Superior Court. The other references in a search were heavily weighted to zoning, planning, and development areas of the RSAs. So to answer the question, yes but it may not be a form that helps us with violations of preemption.

Why not? It's a pretty egregious example of a local official/agency violating established law, which is textbook for writ of mandamus.

Why not? It's a pretty egregious example of a local official/agency violating established law, which is textbook for writ of mandamus.

I agree that a writ of mandamus is justified. I'm looking at the context of where mandamus is mentioned throughout the statutes and guessing how a court might infer legislative intent based on that.

I asked in the other thread, but I don't think it was answered: doesn't New Hampshire have some form of mandamus?

I am certainly not a lawyer, but I thought a writ of mandamus was designed to force a specific act which someone is obliged by law to do. I think they filed a writ against the County Clerk in KY who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. I’ve heard of writs against zoning boards who refused to enforce a particular zoning law. The writs compelled them to do what the law required them to do.

If the Selectmen of a city were to pass a law, say banning firearms in parks, would a writ be a vehicle to compel them to not do that? As I said I’m no lawyer, but that’s not the way I’ve read of writs being utilized.

Paging StrangeNH...

I am certainly not a lawyer, but I thought a writ of mandamus was designed to force a specific act which someone is obliged by law to do. I think they filed a writ against the County Clerk in KY who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. I’ve heard of writs against zoning boards who refused to enforce a particular zoning law. The writs compelled them to do what the law required them to do.

If the Selectmen of a city were to pass a law, say banning firearms in parks, would a writ be a vehicle to compel them to not do that? As I said I’m no lawyer, but that’s not the way I’ve read of writs being utilized.

Paging StrangeNH...

It's only Wikipedia, but:
Mandamus - Wikipedia

Mandamus ("We command") is a judicial remedy in the form of an order from a superior court,[1] to any government subordinate court, corporation, or public authority, to do (or forbear from doing) some specific act which that body is obliged under law to do (or refrain from doing), and which is in the nature of public duty, and in certain cases one of a statutory duty.

Last edited:
Rumor is it that some folks are opposing this with a justification that punishing politicians for breaking the law is not constitutional (paraphrased)

I dont see anything in the NH constitution that this bill contradicts with.

Punishing selectman/others who fail to act in "Good Faith" and pass ordinances/other that voilate the rights of citizens and break our lawfully passed/adopted state laws is a GOOD thing and provides a deterrant for others who would be similarly inclined to act like douches

I've heard the same arguments, and I really don't get it. If the selectmen embezzle money, or dump toxic waste illegally, or some such, they can be prosecuted, so why not these laws?

There are specific penalties for many things, just not one for violating a civil right that is secured under the bill of rights in both the NH and Federal Constitutions.

I have yet to see any arguments against passage of this bill, that when examined have any merit. Lot's of hyperbole, but not much fact...

I emailed the committee. I know we they had a snow day today.

Do you when they will vote on it?

I emailed the committee. I know we they had a snow day today.

Do you when they will vote on it?

The committee voted to send it for study which is a way to kill it without admitting that's their intent. Next up is the full House (tomorrow?) so email your representatives to pass the amended bill.

Bill will be on the house floor tomorrow. If you have time you can also call the state house and ask for a message to be given to your rep. unless your know their cell phone.

State House, Room 311
(603) 271-3661

I reached out to my representatives.

NH needs get away from dial-up when streaming its sessions.

WTF is wrong with people.....

Folks are telling me that there are RKBA folks saying that this bill is unconstitutional........allegedly something to the effect that the legislature imposing PENALTIES on subordinate political entities (Selectman/other) for violating state law which already prohibits them from doing so by statute would "Somehow" constitute a violation of "Separation of Powers" in the constitution.

This is apparently coming from folks that are supposedly on the pro RKBA side of the aisle.....

This is a bullshit argument, and even then, that's up to the Courts to decide. Why are RKBA people making the Anti's argument for them?

Pass the bill, and let the whiners adjudicate it if they want/can afford. In the meantime, we have a law that finally has teeth.

In a 2nd year, "study" means death as the legislative session is over (ends in June) before the "study" begins. A Nay vote was a correct vote.

[Art.] 15. [Compensation of the Legislature.] The presiding officers of both houses of the legislature, shall severally receive out of the state treasury as compensation in full for their services for the term elected the sum of $250, and all other members thereof, seasonably attending and not departing without license, the sum of $200 and each member shall receive mileage for actual daily attendance on legislative days, but not after the legislature shall have been in session for 45 legislative days or after the first day of July following the annual assembly of the legislature, whichever occurs first; provided, however, that, when a special session shall be called by the governor or by a 2/3 vote of the then qualified members of each branch of the general court, such officers and members shall receive for attendance an additional compensation of $3 per day for a period not exceeding 15 days and the usual mileage. Nothing herein shall prevent the payment of additional mileage to members attending committee meetings or on other legislative business on nonlegislative days.

In a 2nd year, "study" means death as the legislative session is over (ends in June) before the "study" begins. A Nay vote was a correct vote.

Is there an obligation for even a pro forma study or do we simply wait for this to be introduced in the next session?

Study or not, it's done for now. I'm hoping for a version next session that at least allows the aggrieved party to seek attorney's fees from an entity found in violation. Under the existing law, that would take extraordinary circumstances. That would put it on par with modern civil rights statutes.

Back
Top Bottom