NH Ammo and Gun Ban Public Hearing Feburary 13th at 1PM!

And not to belabor a point, but does said coworker listen to the radio? Even passively (which most people do). If so, what?

Methinks we've already established the audience we need to reach doesn't use the FaceToobs, watch TeeVeeNooze, or read the fishwrap.
He doesn't, or didn't, get into politics. People are really good filters, even if they watch the news or listen to the radio, they will tend to filter out what they aren't normally interested in. This is why we need to reach out, and not in a condescending way.

And not to belabor a point, but does said coworker listen to the radio? Even passively (which most people do). If so, what?

Methinks we've already established the audience we need to reach doesn't use the FaceToobs, watch TeeVeeNooze, or read the fishwrap.
There are only two ways you are going to reach those people.

1. Mail. Send a postcard (using bulk postage rates) to every registered GOP voter and every undeclared who takes GOP primary ballots in the state. Since the only ones who can afford to get the statewide database of voters are political parties, you need to be involved with the NHGOP for access to that list. Even if you get that list for free, you gotta pay for postage. There are 296K registered republicans in the state and 386k undeclareds. Even if we assume half of undeclareds vote republican, that leaves you with ~490K voters to reach. At a bulk postage rate of $0.19, that is $93,100. And that is just postage. That doesn't cover the cost the 490K pieces of paper that have to be printed off.
Even if we assume the number of people we need to reach is half of the number of registered republicans in the state you are still looking at a postage cost of $28,120 and the cost of 148K postcards.
And then you need to spend that again the next year when new bills are filed.

2. Go door to door and meet those 148,000 voters all across the state to inform them of these horrible bills. By the time you are done, it will be time for reps to submit new bills. And that is if you make it your full time job.

As part of ideas 1 and 2 you need to collect email addresses and phone numbers (preferably cell phone numbers) so you can send email or text blasts the next time around instead of spending money on mail.

Got any better ideas? Lets hear them.

What's the deal with speaking at this.
Showing up is critical. You can either sign in on the blue form opposing the bill or sign up to speak with a pink card. There was a resource on how to testify at NHliberty, but the link is broken. I will find a copy.

Text posted below. [Credit to NH Liberty Alliance for this work]

How to Testify at a Public Hearing
Testifying before the NH legislature is not something to be taken lightly. While it is not
rocket science, you need to be well-prepared and should understand how the legislature functions, as well as proper state house etiquette, so as not to leave a negative impression that may be nearly impossible to overcome. It is recommended that you sit in on numerous committee hearings before you testify. If you're sure that you're ready, here are some specific hints to help you be as effective as possible.
House of Representatives

For each bill scheduled for a public hearing, there is a sign in sheet on a table in the
hearing room where you are asked to fill in your name, whether you favor or oppose the bill and if you are representing an organization (if not, write "self"). Just showing up and signing in carries weight with the committee as they often look at the sheet and sometimes announce the number of pros and cons.

If you are well-prepared to testify, you will need to fill out a pink card to do so. Generally, the representative who is closest to this table will pass the cards up to the chair. The rooms are usually laid out in a horseshoe fashion.
The chair will call on people to testify in the order they determine. Preference is usually given to the bill sponsor(s), other legislators, state employees and then John Q. Public. Be patient - your turn will come.
When your name is called, proceed to the chair provided, sit down, properly address the chair, introduce yourself and get right down to business.
If you have written testimony, submit it in the same way as your pink card.
If the chair asks you to summarize, please do so! Do not antagonize the chair (and the rest of the committee) by continuing to give your entire testimony at this time.
Most important rule of all: Do not go over 3 minutes! Practice at home, time yourself and cut it down. If you can't say it in 3 minutes, you can't say it!
Stick to 3 main points that are pertinent to the bill. If you have more points to be made, try to get a friend to make them for you. You may want to consider addressing an issue that opponents of the bill are likely to bring up.
If you go off topic or go on for too long, you may notice the reps getting that glazed over look. This is not a good thing and should be seriously avoided.
If others who have testified before you have already made your points, say so when you are called to speak. The reps will appreciate it if you don't repeat what they have just heard. While you may not ask questions, you should be prepared to answer questions from the committee. Do your research first to have an idea of which committee members may be for or against the bill you are testifying on. This will give you advance information as to whether the various reps will be asking you a friendly or hostile question. If you don't know the answer to a question, or don't understand the question, say so. Some questions are attempts to discredit you, others are attempts to help you get more information out to the committee. Take a moment to assess which it is and take a deep breath before you answer.

Remain polite and calm at all times, especially in the face of adversity.
Senate
For each bill scheduled for a public hearing, there is a sign in sheet on a table in the
hearing room where you are asked to fill in your name, whether you favor or oppose the bill and if you are representing an organization (if not, write "self"), and a box to check if you would like to speak (no pink cards!). Just showing up and signing in carries weight with the committee as they often look at the sheet and sometimes announce the number of pros and cons.
You may notice a large number of lobbyists in the Senate. One theory on this is that it's much easier to lobby 24 Senators than it is 400 Representatives.

Same rules apply here as in the House.

Last edited:
My wife has surgery that day, depending on how that schedule plays out, or if I can get one of the mothers to help out, I'll be there.

There are only two ways you are going to reach those people.

Well, no, there are several and many, each with varying costs and degrees of effectiveness.

The most effective will always be button-holing - especially if the target is known to you already - but it's extremely (human) resources inefficient: we simply don't have enough volunteers to canvass door-to-door.

Digital media are cheap, but as already noted not at all effective, as it likely wouldn't reach the eyes we're looking to reach. Even if Facebook/Twitter/... were straight shooters (they're not), are our eyes even there? Direct email, unsolicited, = spam.

Direct (snail) mail is extremely expensive, and I'm not convinced at all effective. Even most mailings from NRA, GOA, ..., that come here are classified "top-secret: DBR" (Destroy Before Reading). [smile]

This leaves traditional marketing media:* print, billboards, and electronic. Each of these costs money.

Print would work if people still read the newspapers. Some probably do, at least in the audiences we're looking to reach.

"Electronic" = TV and radio. TV ads tend to be very expensive, and especially with the trend towards DVRs, easily avoided. Everyone scoffs at radio as being old-school and not hip and trendy, but again, people do still listen, aren't as likely as with TV to avoid ads, and they're not especially expensive (much cheaper than TV, and comparable to print in many cases).

Billboards? Not sure. The only dealings I've ever had with those guys had to do with PSAs for non-profits, which is a different universe entirely. I'm guessing the good, well-placed ones would be prohibitively expensive.

*There's also non-traditional (guerilla) marketing. Given how most of that operates, and the way our supporters would likely think, I would suspect that would probably piss off more than would be wooed in our favor.

Does anyone familiar with NH politics know what the chances are of this crap passing sometime in the next 5-10 years? Within the legislature's Democratic caucus, is there widespread support for gun control?

Even if we assume Sununu would veto any of this crap, he's up for re-election in 2020 and he could lose.

Asking because I'm considering buying property in NH in the near future, and don't want to end up being screwed.

Does anyone familiar with NH politics know what the chances are of this crap passing sometime in the next 5-10 years? Within the legislature's Democratic caucus, is there widespread support for gun control?

Even if we assume Sununu would veto any of this crap, he's up for re-election in 2020 and he could lose.

Asking because I'm considering buying property in NH in the near future, and don't want to end up being screwed.

If I were being honest with myself, I would expect this kind of crap having a good shot of passing everywhere. There is no utopia, stop lying to yourself. NH is the obvious target and a LOT of money is being poured in to accomplish this stuff.

Now, am I doom and gloom over it? No. I didn't move here to kick my feet up and unplug from this. I truly think all of these gun control bills stacked up for this year is a gross oversight, and will likely cost the Dems in the next election. NH has a pretty wild political pendulum. I do expect Sununu to stand up to this, but I am not putting all of my eggs in that basket.

For those that think "this cannot happen here" Just remember, Bloomberg poured $125K into mailings against just 1 NH senator in 2016. The anti-gun crowd is committed to winning this state over and making us look like MA and the balance of the anti-gun new England states.

Soloman2,
there is one other option. That is for each of us to start using our personal network and working with each other to build this network. The more we work together the more effective we will be. Everyone of us knows at least 10 gun owners on our email list. We need to share the alerts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom