• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

sorry to start the sheet storming, I forgot to add, that I asked about (R) Duane Brown rep for the Rumney/Wentworth district and was told that he "IS" running. Earlier in the year there was info that he was not, so guessing he changed his mind and is going for another term. good news any way. thanks for those info links.

While perfect is generally the enemy of good I need to point out that Ayotte does not even qualify as good. If the choice is Ayotte vs Hassan, it is basically a choice of mostly evil vs full evil.

What is the point of voting for slightly less evil? Especially when the Fed is basically a lost cause anyways?

Focus on the state level candidates (Governor and lower) by donating money and time, donate to The Foundation for New Hampshire Independence, and make the case for liberty and #NHexit with everyone you meet. The only way to truly win is to convince those around you that liberty is the true path to prosperity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If this is the case, and I agree that we should focus on the state level elections over the fed, why not just drop a check mark in who ever is on the final ballot as an R? I am all about protest voting, but if it is a lost cause anyways, why give it away that much easier?

If it comes down to Hassan vs. Ayotte, I'll vote for Ayotte, because Hassan has declared she will back an AWB among other anti-gun laws, and Ayotte has a record of opposing the AWB and several other anti-gun measures, even though she has been about the same level of crappy on some civil liberties as Hassan has stated she will be.

So a lesser of two evils argument. I see. That always works out so well. I suppose the concept of just, not voting for an evil is, as you say, too nuanced?

Ayotte embodies the worst aspects of both Republicans and Democrats. Pick an issue, and she is usually on the wrong side of it. She has been one of the biggest threats in all of congress in regards to the 4th and 5th Amendments.

So a lesser of two evils argument. I see. That always works out so well. I suppose the concept of just, not voting for an evil is, as you say, too nuanced?

Ayotte embodies the worst aspects of both Republicans and Democrats. Pick an issue, and she is usually on the wrong side of it. She has been one of the biggest threats in all of congress in regards to the 4th and 5th Amendments.

Because that's not the way it works here in Real World. Here in Real World you don't get to say "Well, I didn't vote for an evil, so I guess there are no consequences, and I can just dance off and smell the daffodils."

Here in Real World, you get the more evil, which results in things like Heller being overturned, which is a real, for-the-rest-of-our-lives evil.

Just 10 minutes ago I listened to a commercial from the bastards from the Americans for Responsible Solutions PAC telling me KA is in the pocket of the gun lobby, and how she's the only Senator in all of New England that voted against UBC's. She votes with the dangerous gun lobbies whenever she can. Ooooo...be scared.

Then I come here and listen to people tell me how she's a progressive Anti, just waiting to pass an AWB. She votes against our gun rights whenever she can. Ooooo...be scared.

I mean, WTF?

Vote for who you want in the primaries; that's where you get to play whatever fantasy ideology games you want. But don't kid yourselves: in the General, you're either voting for Horseface or against Horseface.

While perfect is generally the enemy of good I need to point out that Ayotte does not even qualify as good. If the choice is Ayotte vs Hassan, it is basically a choice of mostly evil vs full evil.

What is the point of voting for slightly less evil? Especially when the Fed is basically a lost cause anyways?

Focus on the state level candidates (Governor and lower) by donating money and time, donate to The Foundation for New Hampshire Independence, and make the case for liberty and #NHexit with everyone you meet. The only way to truly win is to convince those around you that liberty is the true path to prosperity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oh for Christ's sake... [thinking]

Because that's not the way it works here in Real World. Here in Real World you don't get to say "Well, I didn't vote for an evil, so I guess there are no consequences, and I can just dance off and smell the daffodils."

Vote for who you want in the primaries; that's where you get to play whatever fantasy ideology games you want. But don't kid yourselves: in the General, you're either voting for Horseface or against Horseface.

Umm, in the real world, your vote doesn't matter. Otherwise, it was a decent rant. Your use of bold and italics was well done.

In the REAL world people look at the actions of individuals and act accordingly

Ayotte's voting record is one of consistent violation of our constitutionally protected rights

What people are doing is saying "No More" and refusing to vote for politicians that violate their rights

Ayotte has to go.....she needs the same treatment Brown got and a forced retirement to protect the people from these statists

Sometime you'll have to explain how electing Jean Shaheen protected us from the statists.

Sometime you'll have to explain how electing Jean Shaheen protected us from the statists.

If NH got Brown he would likely end up being stuck as the incumbent next go around because of the pure faggotry with political parties always anointing the incumbent by default. Nobody would have been willing to replace Brown with a better republican, because GOP mainstreamers = shit. These are the same *******s who tried to prop up Havastain as a good idea. [rolleyes] So if you picked brown you would have ended up with 12 years of Brown, instead of 6 years of Shaheen and possibly 6 of (insert someone easily way better than brown here). You elect Brown and that's off the table and its just 12 years of shit at a bare minimum. (Unless republicans in NH had a plan to not toe the party line and run an independent against Brown, but because GOP = shit, this usually never happens).

Not only that but Brown became so bad, him getting in would effectively be like getting 99% of Shaheen anyways, he sucked so ****ing bad as Senator down here that he only did like ONE thing that was remotely good- he voted against confirming Kagan. That was about the only thing I remember. The other 900 times he was usually voting with Dems or designing bills with them.

If Brown had played conservative even 30% of the time he probably would have won NH handily but he failed to do even that.

-Mike

If NH got Brown he would likely end up being stuck as the incumbent next go around because of the pure faggotry with political parties always anointing the incumbent by default. Nobody would have been willing to replace Brown with a better republican, because GOP mainstreamers = shit. These are the same *******s who tried to prop up Havastain as a good idea. [rolleyes] So if you picked brown you would have ended up with 12 years of Brown, instead of 6 years of Shaheen and possibly 6 of (insert someone easily way better than brown here). You elect Brown and that's off the table and its just 12 years of shit at a bare minimum. (Unless republicans in NH had a plan to not toe the party line and run an independent against Brown, but because GOP = shit, this usually never happens).

Not only that but Brown became so bad, him getting in would effectively be like getting 99% of Shaheen anyways, he sucked so ****ing bad as Senator down here that he only did like ONE thing that was remotely good- he voted against confirming Kagan. That was about the only thing I remember. The other 900 times he was usually voting with Dems or designing bills with them.

If Brown had played conservative even 30% of the time he probably would have won NH handily but he failed to do even that.

-Mike

GFT

As much as it sucks that Shaheen was elected it DID result in the permanent retirement off Sununu who had made a series of horrific votes

Rinse and repeat for Brown....

Keep smacking down big gov progressive republicans and sooner than later the folks funding these statists will give up because donating to these people is a bad investment......

Make no bones about it.....this is a fight against the statist progressives in the GOP just as much as it is against the statist progressives in the Dem party

Clearly you believe in the fairy tale that people like Rubens and Hemingway lose because of "statist money" and not their inability to appeal to a broad mass of voters, even within their own party. Keep kidding yourself. Everyone needs a reason to explain away failure.

On the up side, if all the people who throw around terms like "statists" decide to stay home, or throw away their votes by writing in Bob Smith or some other such silliness, we're only talking about 50-60 votes, statewide.

Clearly you believe in the fairy tale that people like Rubens and Hemingway lose because of "statist money" and not their inability to appeal to a broad mass of voters, even within their own party. Keep kidding yourself. Everyone needs a reason to explain away failure.

On the up side, if all the people who throw around terms like "statists" decide to stay home, or throw away their votes by writing in Bob Smith or some other such silliness, we're only talking about 50-60 votes, statewide.

Take a look at where the money came from for Ayotte and Brown?

Follow the money and then tell us all who Ayotte is casting votes for......it aint her constituents thats for shit sure

Sen. Kelly Ayotte - Campaign Finance Summary

You make the assumption that Hemingway and to a lesser degree Rubens DONT appeal to voters broadly......thats not the case and we've seen in multiple election cycles unreliable GOP pols in the NHGOP go on smear campaigns with out of state money to discredit these people.

If you want more evidence that the likes of Hemingway and others DO appeal to voters then look at the composition of the NH House and Senate?

Last edited:

Is that why Frank Edelblut is winning polls against Gastas, Sununu, & Foster?

Take a look at where the money came from for Ayotte and Brown?

Follow the money and then tell us all who Ayotte is casting votes for......it aint her constituents thats for shit sure

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00030980&cycle=2016#funds

You make the assumption that Hemingway and to a lesser degree Rubens DONT appeal to voters broadly......thats not the case and we've seen in multiple election cycles statist progressives in the NHGOP go on smear campaigns with out of state money to discredit these people.

If you want more evidence that the likes of Hemingway and others DO appeal to voters then look at the composition of the NH House and Senate?

Last time I looked, people vote, not money. But, hey, that's me.

Last time I looked, people vote, not money. But, hey, that's me.

It very much IS about the money

Its really no different than whats happening with the MOM's movement.........the etablishment pols in the GOP are funded by out of state money and push a narrative that doesnt match up with the reality of the candidates record and/or smear their grass roots opponents

Follow the money and usually you can find the source of the rot

Last edited:
Yeah the people's vote is what matters but it's the money that sway the uninformed with more ad time and misinformation.

Yes, this is the "stupid voter" theory. Interestingly elitist, for a libertarian-leaning crowd.

"We [Ron Paul/Bob Smith/Jim Rubens/name your failed candidate here] would have won if not for the money convincing the stupid voters to vote wrongly. If only they knew as much as WE do, they'd have voted correctly."

It's both condescending and dismissive at the same time.

"It's not possible that my candidate can't appeal to a larger audience, or that my view might be in the minority. It must be some other reason. Like money! Or statists! Or...statists money!"

ETA:

I voted for Brown. Know why he lost? Because he had limited or no ability to energize his base, and a shitty message that didn't get any traction with undeclared voters. Not because of OPM (other people's money). It wasn't Shaheen's "big money" convincing "stupid voters."

I voted for Havenstein. Know why he lost? Because he ran a shitty General campaign, with no resonating message to offset Hassan's tenure of "nothingness." With no major scandals to point to, he needed a stronger campaign to get people off their butts and convince them. He didn't. It's like he quit after the Primary. And this is coming from a guy who knows him personally. It wasn't a money issue. He didn't lose because of Hassan's "big money" convincing "stupid voters."

Last edited:
Yes, this is the "stupid voter" theory. Interestingly elitist, for a libertarian-leaning crowd.

"We [Ron Paul/Bob Smith/Jim Rubens/name your failed candidate here] would have won if not for the money convincing the stupid voters to vote wrongly. If only they knew as much as WE do, they'd have voted correctly."

"It's not possible that my candidate can't appeal to a larger audience, or that my view might be in the minority. It must be some other reason. Like money! Or statists! Or...statists money!"
It's not a matter of the voter being stupid, it's that they don't take the time to argue politics on web forums. Most people only care enough to vote the way their friends do instead of looking into it past the surface and possibly have an unfavorable position.
If the LP or other liberty leaning candidates had the money to spend I would eat my shorts if more people didn't vote for them or their policies.

Maybe you missed how Havenstein about a million on the primary, blowing away Hemingway on money spent. And lets not forget that Havenstein loaned his campaign quite a large sum in order to ensure he massively outspent Hemingway.

ETA:

I voted for Brown. Know why he lost? Because he had limited or no ability to energize his base, and a shitty message that didn't get any traction with undeclared voters. Not because of OPM (other people's money). It wasn't Shaheen's "big money" convincing "stupid voters."

I voted for Havenstein. Know why he lost? Because he ran a shitty General campaign, with no resonating message to offset Hassan's tenure of "nothingness." With no major scandals to point to, he needed a stronger campaign to get people off their butts and convince them. He didn't. It's like he quit after the Primary. And this is coming from a guy who knows him personally. It wasn't a money issue. He didn't lose because of Hassan's "big money" convincing "stupid voters."

I met Havenstein at a Friends of the NRA event on the Seacoast shortly before or after the primary began. He was wandering around trying to meet people. He didn't have the presence of an energetic person (maybe 10 or 20 years ago he might have but not now). He seemed feeble when I listened to him talk to me person. He also was surrounded by aides where ever he went that ushered him along. Hemingway was the opposite. Energetic, outgoing, and not surrounded by aides.

And where is Havenstein now? I haven't heard a peep out of him on NH politics in the media or internally since he lost. What happened is that Havenstein left NH and moved to Texas in 2015. He never had any real ties to NH and people saw that in the general since Maggie and her allies were able to run ads highlighting the fact that he spent years Maryland and basically only returned to NH to take a position of power. Whether true or not that is how he was portrayed and it was a devastating line of attack.

Actually it passed both the House and the Senate, so it did go through, the problem is that veto requires a super majority to be overridden. So that comment is really a "red herring"
If one were to look back when we had a legislature prepared to over ride a veto, that was the year that the NRA stuck their nose in the process without being asked and pissed off the legislators that were carrying this for us.
Weak on the legislature,really weak.

Actually it passed both the House and the Senate, so it did go through, the problem is that veto requires a super majority to be overridden. So that comment is really a "red herring"
If one were to look back when we had a legislature prepared to over ride a veto, that was the year that the NRA stuck their nose in the process without being asked and pissed off the legislators that were carrying this for us.

Yup, still weak. I seem to recall another state that managed to over ride a governors veto this year on CC.

Better watch out. In your state, statements like that could have you declared unsuitable at the whim of your COP, and your LTC could go "POOF!"

He's already aware I'm a potential felon that the AG has decided "not to pursue at this time". I think I might be good ;)

You know what? You really should spend your energy on addressing the issues with your state. The good folks here in New Hampshire are doing quite well of holding our own. Those to the south of us, can't even get a bill they would like to have, out of committee. Now talk about weak, WOW! It doesn't get much weaker than that.

Many people on gun forums prefer to make comments more than getting out and accomplishing things. A good number of people on here say NH is turning into Mass. Have you noticed this in your town? Because I haven't.

criticizing across state lines is exercise in futility. it behooves the remaining 49 states for NH to pass constitutional carry. freedom either prospers or fails. there are no inherently protected areas.

the latest news is a bummer, but i believe it's only a matter of time until NH can get constitutional carry passed.

Back
Top Bottom