NH Alert: Hohenwater back in town, Constitution Carry in Jepordy

Yep, tomorrow night night after the dirty dead of retaining HB582 is done.

BTW, did anyone ever read the RICO laws? Do they apply to large groups that mail monthly publications?

At this rate MAINE will have con carry before NH. MAINE!!!

No disrespect intended towards Mainers.

Thanks guys. I'm going to refrain from contacting NRA-ILA myself since (in legal parlance) I don't have standing. But I am very interested in what response you get, if any. I've seen a lot of anti-NRA stuff, both here and on the web, but I've yet to read anything about someone actually getting a response from NRA.

You have "standing" if you are an NRA member.

Sent them an email.

- - - Updated - - -

At this rate MAINE will have con carry before NH. MAINE!!!

No disrespect intended towards Mainers.

No. NRA is sending Hohenwater there on Wednesday.

Email sent to the NRA from this life member from MA expressing my displeasure with this Hohenwarter fellow. If anyone has any better actions I could take plase let me know.

We need to know if anyone is spending time with him and which of those people don't vote to support the bill. Those people need to be run out of office.

If so, how? Why on earth would they care what he said? Something is wrong here...

He did it last time:

By the Honorable Bob Clegg, President of Pro-Gun New Hampshire and former NH Senate Majority Leader

“…New Hampshire is too stupid to know what it needs…” John Hohenwarter’s statement to Bob Clegg

[Posted Thursday, May 12, 2011, at 11:20 p.m.] John Hohenwarter is the NRA-ILA representative to New Hampshire. In the time Mr. Hohenwarter has been here he has managed to do what the best anti-Second Amendment groups have not. On behalf of the NRA, he has stopped the passage of the Constitutional Carry bill, the Ward Bird bill, and the bill to allow a person to stand their ground when attacked, a true right of self defense.

In the name of the National Rifle Association, Mr. Hohenwarter decided to bring a new four-page bill to the NH legislature. Doing so using the same process available to every citizen in the state would have been fine, but he didn’t think he should use the normal legislative process; no, Mr. Hohenwarter wanted to be treated specially. In fact, acting like a DC politician, he actually thought he could create law in the dark of night, where no one would see what was being done.

The four-page bill in question would require NICS checks where they are now not demanded, would create additional criminal penalties, and would prohibit a young person from carrying a firearm. Can you see why the dark of night was his preferred method?

The four-page bill was shown to the House committee overseeing firearms laws, and they immediately rejected it. Not only did it make a mess out of Constitutional Carry, but the creation of new criminal penalties needed a public hearing. Mr. Hohenwarter was instructed to find a sponsor and bring the matter before the legislature as a bill, which in NH means full public hearings with notice and the content of the bill readily available to all who might want to read it.

The Constitutional Carry bill, HB330, passed a House of 400 with only 109 “no” votes, a phenomenal feat for any legislature.

But Mr. Hohenwarter wasn’t satisfied with that. Even though HB330 had just passed the NH House of Representatives by a veto-proof majority, he found a Senator willing to sponsor his four-page bill as an amendment to completely replace it, assuming the NRA would never be seen to be at odds with the Second Amendment groups in the state. What a mistake. Fully expecting Hohenwarter to scuttle Constitutional Carry in the Senate with his four-page replacement, representatives of several pro-gun state groups testified in the Senate committee hearing against the Hohenwarter amendment and its attempts to restrict gun owner rights. The Senator who had been persuaded to sponsor the four-page amendment pulled it, explaining that he didn’t realize that no one but Hohenwarter wanted it.

Move forward to the days before the final votes on three very important gun rights bills. Word came from the Senate they would hold them until next year. Seems Mr. Hohenwarter, using his position as a representative of NRA, made indications – threats – of poor NRA ratings for any senator who dared to pass a gun rights bill other than his version that no one wanted. The Senate decided to hold all gun rights bills until everyone “was on the same page” – but that is impossible!!! Pro-Gun New Hampshire is not interested in taking away rights, nor is it interested in creating new criminal penalties. The law is clear enough.

Hohenwarter has demonstrated this pattern of behavior before. As Pennsylvania’s NRA State Rep he caused the same kind of problems. But don’t take our word for it, read about it here at the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Forum: http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-10/116528-nra-liason-pa-hohenwarter-q-session.html

When I spoke with Hohenwarter, he explained to me that the House committee never rejected his bill, but instead claimed the House Majority Leader agreed to pull it so it would not go public, and had an agreement with the Senate to slide it into HB330, and the public would never know. When told that’s not how we do things, Hohenwarter stated that New Hampshire is too stupid to know what it needs, and that NRA had a room full of lawyers we needed to start listening to. He made derogatory remarks about two well known experts on gun rights, attorneys Evan Nappen and Penny Dean. Neither of them understands gun laws, he said, and they need to let the NRA lawyers handle it.

Here’s where we need help. We need to HEAVE HO HOHENWARTER. We need your help in sending him off to where the Brady Bill is still considered good legislation. I don’t know where that is, but that is certainly where he needs to be.

New Hampshire needs to have NRA on its side. As NRA life members, we need to stand up for our rights. We need every NRA member to contact the NRA and ask them to send Hohenwarter out – we don’t care where, just out. We need Constitutional Carry, we need the right to stand our ground, and we need the bill that says trespassers can avoid seeing a gun by not trespassing and a property owner shouldn’t need a commutation of a sentence for standing ready to defend what is his.

Please, we need you. If you are a member of NRA, contact NRA-ILA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683) and tell them you want to HEAVE HO Hohenwarter.

The future depends on you. If John Hohenwarter stays we will be forever regretful of the lost opportunity to have a Constitutional Carry law, a right not to run from those who would take from you or do you or your family harm, and with the likes of John Hohenwarter we won’t clarify the law that forced an armed man on his own property to do time in jail for confronting a trespasser. Don’t let Hohenwarter make you the next victim. Send him packing.

Please, we need you! If you are a member of NRA, contact NRA-ILA at (800) 392-VOTE (8683) and tell them you want to HEAVE HO HOHENWARTER.

Ask for BOTH Chris Cox and Chuck Cunningham, who are Hohenwarter’s bosses.

You can email them BOTH at:

Chris Cox: [email protected]

Chuck Cunningham: [email protected]

http://pgnh.org/heave_ho_hohenwarter

Seriously, **** that guy. The NH legislative process is straightforward and setup the way it is for a reason. You don't get to barge in an do things like they do in DC. Not how it ****ing works in NH. With 400 reps, it would be pandemonium if each one could submit a bill anytime.

Email sent to the NRA from this life member from MA expressing my displeasure with this Hohenwarter fellow. If anyone has any better actions I could take plase let me know.

If you also give them extra money during their drives or attend Friends of the NRA banquets etc - you could tell them that spigot will be shut off if they don't retrain their dog.

If enough members and Lifetime members point this out, they may sit up and listen. After all - Money Talks.

Well here's my letter.

To Whom It May Concern,

I have been informed by my friends, fellow gun owners and patriots in New Hampshire that you have once again dispatched John Hohenwater to meddle in the affairs of pending Constitutional Carry legislation. I have reviewed the facts surrounding the last time Mr. Hohenwater went to New Hampshire and ruined the attempt to make New Hampshire a Constitutional Carry state. These facts can be reviewed by you, here: http://pgnh.org/heave_ho_hohenwarter

And now, not only has Mr. Hohenwater come back to New Hampshire to mess with legislation that looks like it would have easily passed, he is also apparently going to do the same sort of meddling in Maine, and has done so recently in Pennsylvania.

Makes me wonder who's side he's on. Certainly not mine.

I'll put it simply. I am a proud member of the NRA and value just about everything the NRA does. If I weren't, I would not have become a Life Member. However, attempts to ruin good legislation cannot stand. Mr. Hohenwater needs to be recalled home. If his involvement in this process leads to scuttled Constitutional Carry, you can forget about me upgrading to Benefactor, and acquiring Benefactor Memberships for my wife and my three children.

Respectfully yours,

The5thDentist, D.M.D.

I sent that via the general contact form, but am also sending one to Chris Cox.

And you know what stinks about the NRA site? You have to go to the store to try and figure out the order of the Super Life memberships. I can't find anything on the main NRA site as to what the order is. For the record, it's Life, Endowment, Patron and Benefactor.

solomon2, Your post is below. If Handgunlaw.us is wrong about NH "Shall Issue" then the NRA along with many other Pro Gun Groups Is wrong also by your account. See their info about New Hampshire Here:
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-hampshire/

Handgunlaw is not as good a site as people think. They are adamant that New Hampshire is a "shall issue" state because we happen to have the words "shall issue" in the law. Problem is, they are apparently ignorant of the fact that a law needs to be taken in whole not in part. Even worse, the "in whole" part is the same freakin sentence. And that apparently court cases (that define suitable person) mean nothing to them.

Apparently the words "if" and "and" do not exist according to handgunlaw.us. If you rearrange the wording of the law it could read like this and still mean the same thing: "If a person has a proper purpose and they are a suitable person, the license shall be issued." The NH law has "shall issue" in there but also has a qualifier that is not only undefined in the law, it expressly allows a chief subjective discretion as to issuance, denial, or revocation of a license.

The wikipedia entry has been fixed though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_Hampshire

solomon2, Your post is below. If Handgunlaw.us is wrong about NH "Shall Issue" then the NRA along with many other Pro Gun Groups Is wrong also by your account. See their info about New Hampshire Here:
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/new-hampshire/

The fact of the matter is that NH is longer "shall issue" as can be evidenced by certain chiefs "using their own discretionary standards" and denying licenses NOT BASED ON LAW.

Just for entertainment value, here's the link to the NRA's write up of what happened the last time.

And yes, I know the link is probably a dupe. [smile]

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20110514/new-hampshire-the-truth-about-house-bi

OMFG. OMFG!!!!! THe NRA is ****ing retarded.

As passed in the New Hampshire House of Representatives, H.B. 330 would create legitimate concerns about the carrying of concealed loaded handguns in public by minors. While the bill would not protect the carrying of firearms by minors, it would not actually prohibit it either. This is a key distinction, as under current law, minors are essentially prohibited from carrying concealed loaded handguns in public by the licensing requirement, which would be repealed if H.B. 330 were enacted.

The NRA is retarded. OPEN CARRY OF HANDGUNS FOR MINORS IS ALREADY TECHNICALLY LEGAL. Yet the NRA isn't having a conniption about that. But allow a coat to be thrown over it and heads apparently explode over at the NRA HQ.

So the NRA is meddling because they don't like that NH law wouldn't specifically address the issue (just like in VT it doesn't address the issue because there is literally no law on carry).

Last edited:
We should start throwing blanket parties for each and every NH state NRA official. Freaking bunch of Fudd asshats.

Not that it will do any good but I wrote to the NRA today and told them I was a past member for many years but neglected to renew my membership last year due to some financial stuff. I was literally going to renew this week until this asshat showed up (I called him a stooge in my letter) but they can forget me ever renewing my membership the rest of my life. I will give my money to an organization that will stand with me, not against me.

Hitting that send key made me feel a little bit better.

I can't wait to see them at their table at the Concord NH gun show in April.

Rumor has it that Jasper was one of those invited to diner... I cannot confirm as I was "uninvited" after being asked to be there.... What ever "uninvited" means.. :)

If so, how? Why on earth would they care what he said? Something is wrong here...

Nothing is wrong here except that Hohenwarter is in NH mucking stuff up again

Last time he threatened several senators with bad scores from the NRA to get them to back away from supporting Constitutional Carry

Was told this personally by 2 senators

So. regardless of what happens with the house version of the bill in committee there is still the Senate version that has ALREADY passed.

That bill WILL crossover to the House on 4/2 at which point in time we are SUPPOSED to get another shot at public hearing in from of the public safety committee again.

Everyone better gear up for that hearing and pack the house floor overflowing into the halls.

We need to bus folks in from every corner of the state to testify

We need to make testimonies go on until midnight and make is abundantly clear that they WILL do the will of the people and pass the bill or they WILL suffer consequences in 2016 at the ballot box.

I hope you all can make it clear to your state reps that a bad NRA rating (due to Hohenwarter) is much better than screwing the citizens of NH.

I hope these matters can be brought up at the hearing on April 2nd so that Hohenwarter's antics will be exposed to the public.

I will surely be letting the NRA know my displeasure of Hohenwarter's meddling.

You all need to be calling Cam and Company on Sirius radio as well.

We can make this a big issue if you flood Cam and Company with calls and messages.

Every one of my messages sent during the show have been read on the air.

https://twitter.com/camandcompany

Nothing is wrong here except that Hohenwarter is in NH mucking stuff up again

Last time he threatened several senators with bad scores from the NRA to get them to back away from supporting Constitutional Carry

Was told this personally by 2 senators
They wiling to go on the record?

Design,do you have any details on when/where that "Dinner" is?

Might be time for an impromptu protest

The NRA of today is not the NRA of yesterday and many of the states that have in the last 30 years made provisions for CCW can in part owe this to the efforts of the NRA. There is still the national picture.

I'm not an apologist for the NRA. I became a Life Member and later Patron Member when they were the biggest, baddest most effective 2A organization in the country. Times change, political dynamics change. Seems to me that today people need to invest in local grassroots organizations. Comm 2A and GOAL here in Mass, also seems to me that up in the Granite State all the Gun Owner's groups need to consider uniting under one banner for the common cause or consider doing it like we do it here, one for legislative and one for courts. There are going to be plenty of battles in the future and complacency and assumptions that things will always stay the same are dangerous cuz there are Moonbats everywhere.

Seems to me that today people need to invest in local grassroots organizations. Comm 2A and GOAL here in Mass, also seems to me that up in the Granite State all the Gun Owner's groups need to consider uniting under one banner for the common cause or consider doing it like we do it here, one for legislative and one for courts. There are going to be plenty of battles in the future and complacency and assumptions that things will always stay the same are dangerous cuz there are Moonbats everywhere.

Quoted for truth.

Design, I can only think that the reason that you were "Uninvited" to the dinner is because they know that you will report on who said what to who and that won't go over well for those that are so willing to stick it up our ass.

There's also the fact the design makes the feds scared... http://pontiactribune.com/five-state-legislators-feds-worst-nightmare/

Hoell has done an admirable job protecting the liberties of residents in the ‘Live Free or Die’ state. He introduced HB470 and co-sponsored HB246 to re-affirm the natural right of New Hampshire residents to nullify laws in the jury booth that they believe to be unjust. In addition, he co-sponsored a measure to create restrictions on the transfer of military equipment from the feds to state and local government agencies. Hoell signed onto efforts to stop federal gun control and Common Core curriculum as well.

Back
Top Bottom