NH 2020 Gun Bill Legislation List. See Post #1

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
HB1115 altering definition of compact/where guns may be discharged in a town has been scheduled for hearing on tues 02/18/2020 11:00 am LOB 301

This is a very dangerous bill for multiple reasons

design

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
KBCraig,
I guess they don't care enough about protecting their rights. I always hear, 'from my cold dead hands' but the reality is a day off from work will do far more good than declarative statements. If work is for most like it is for me, there is plenty of vacation time waiting to be used up, just work is so busy that taking time off is hard.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KBCraig,
I guess they don't care enough about protecting their rights. I always hear, 'from my cold dead hands' but the reality is a day off from work will do far more good than declarative statements. If work is for most like it is for me, there is plenty of vacation time waiting to be used up, just work is so busy that taking time off is hard.
I know it is. I'm not blaming anyone for having to earn a living.

I do too. I normally work four days a week at my day job, with Tue/Wed/Thur scheduled off. My committee meets on Tuesdays and session days are Thursday, so I usually have Wednesday as a day off.

Because the Democrats wimped out because of weather 2/6, we're now behind schedule, and next week is a deadline week for certain bills. I'll have committee Tuesday, full house session days Wednesday *and* Thursday, and my county delegation meeting on Friday.

I have to squeeze my day job hours in there somewhere.

design

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
KBCraig, you are clearly on the front lines protecting our rights, we need more people to join you

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KBCraig, you are clearly on the front lines protecting our rights, we need more people to join you
I appreciate that, because there are many weeks that I feel like I'm failing the job that pays me more than $100/yr. And may I say: thank you for your service!

I'm fortunate that my boss is understanding, and values my efforts and experience. It probably helps that I've taken maybe three sick days in over five years, and while I usually juggle my days off between the job and the State House, next week will be the first time that I am booked solid on all days.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to protest like they do in France. Bring in the farmers with the manure flinging trucks.
Rep. John Burt did bring his classic Farmall tractor and manure spreader to the State House lawn last year.

No manure was spread on the lawn, because more than enough was being spewed inside.

design

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
NHFC just sent out the following alert:

Every week, it seems like another anti-gun bill is being introduced. Sometimes, it seems like the gun-grabbers have unlimited resources to take away our rights and are able to introduce several anti-gun bills, this week it is “just” one.... Phew... [Fighting these anti-gun bills can seem exhausting sometimes, especially when the committees are stacked against you. If you are interested in helping us with alerts or interested in helping NHFC as a volunteer in some other form, please use our contact tab and let us know.]

This week the bill is HB1115, the “2020 Private Range Closure Act”. The bill will be heard by the Municipal & County Government committee tomorrow morning (Tuesday 2/18) at 11:00 am in LOB room 301. This bill would increase the distance between someone discharging a firearm and any commercial building or house or group of houses that are a certain distance apart. The bill would also increase the minimum distance that discharging a firearm is illegal from any property the local town officials designate for ‘recreational use’. This means, anti-gun local town officials could wipe out shooting sports in a number of areas of your town. Simply put, this would end private ranges in most of Southern New Hampshire.

There is absolutely no reason to do this. It is a feel-good attempt to erode the rights of law-abiding citizens who wish to shoot on their own property. There is not an issue in New Hampshire with the law as it currently exists. Many people in rural towns of NH legally and safety target shoot under the current law of 300 feet from an occupied dwelling. There is no need to extend the reach of this law.

This proposal, taken in conjunction with SB 469 [A bill which is still alive in the Senate Judiciary Committee] which proposes to close existing and legal firing ranges, is nothing more than an on-going attempt to eliminate any and all opportunities for law-abihttps://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/contact-us/ding citizens of the state to practice shooting. Both HB1115 AND SB 469 should be deemed inexpedient to legislate. [killed]

MUNICIPAL AND COUNTY GOVERNMENT, Room 301, LOB
11:00 a.m. HB1115, the “2020 Private Range Closure Act” HB 1115, relative to the discharge of a firearm in the compact part of a city or town.

You can send the following letter to the Municipal & County Government committee:
[[email protected]]

Dear Representative:

I am writing to you about a bill that will be heard tomorrow morning (Tuesday 2/18 at 11:00am).

HB 1115 is yet another encroachment on the Second Amendment rights of the citizens of New Hampshire.

Under the legislation, local communities would be empowered to expand the number of properties around which it would be illegal to discharge a firearm and the area around buildings where it is currently illegal to discharge a firearm would increase to 900 feet. The requested increase is so large, that it would effectively wipe out most private firearms ranges in southern New Hampshire.

Bottom line, HB 1115 is yet another sneak attack on gun rights under the guise of safety.

Rather than increasing safety, it would create a patchwork quilt of uncertainty and danger. Landowners and sportsmen could easily find themselves unintentionally violating the law. Citizens might be discouraged from keeping their skills sharp as their access to private ranges would be eliminated.

There is absolutely no reason to do this. It is a feel-good attempt to erode the rights of law-abiding citizens who wish to shoot on their own property. There is not an issue in New Hampshire with the law as it currently exists. Many people in rural towns of NH legally and safety target shoot under the current law of 300 feet from an occupied dwelling. There is no need to change the law.

This proposal, taken in conjunction with SB 469 which proposes to close existing and legal firing ranges, is nothing more than an on-going attempt to eliminate any and all opportunities for law-abiding citizens of the state to practice shooting.
HB 1115 is also an attack on hunting in southern New Hampshire. It would make much of the southern part of the state unhuntable.

If you stand with New Hampshire’s landowners and sportsmen, then I urge you to vote HB 1115 inexpedient to legislate.

I would ask you to find HB 1115 INEXPEDIENT TO LEGISLATE. (ITL)

Sincerely,

In addition to this one public hearing on HB1115, there are 4 bills on the floor that need to be killed: One of the bills came out of committee with a motion INEXPEDIENT TO LEGISLATE. (ITL) so we have focused our letters to the House Members on the other bills. NHFC has mailed out first class letters to all of the House members asking that these bills be stopped. Now it is your turn to make that same request. Please remind your Representative that all four of these bills need to be killed: Please ask your State Rep to vote to ITL all four of these bills!

HB 1101-FN, “Buy a Gun, Go Home Without it” [AKA] imposing a waiting period between the purchase and delivery of a firearm.
HB 1350, “2020 Mandatory Gun Lock Tax“ [AKA] requiring a locking safety device be provided for commercial firearm sales and transfers.
HB 1379-FN, “Universal Gun registration” [AKA] requiring a background check for commercial firearms sales.
HB 1660-FN, “Eldercare Gun Confiscation” [AKA] establishing a protective order for vulnerable adults.
We would ask that you also contact your reps and remind them that they took an oath to uphold the Constitution an and that by voting to pass any of these measures that they are violating their oath.

“Shall NOT be infringed” in 2020 means just what it did in 1776! Keep your hands off of my firearms.

You can view the letter that were sent out here:

You can cut and paste this text into any letter that you write:
Here is where you find the contact information for your own legislators:

Given all of the anti-gun bills, one might think this is hopeless, but that is far from the truth. One of this years Anti-gun bills is already dead (SB624) and there is a real possibility that two more of this weeks bills may die in the house because of your activism. Never, never give up!

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bill status' updated in post #1

Some have passed one or both houses of leg
Others laid on table or ITL

Mag ban passed House.....

HB1660 passed both house and senate and is pending to be sent to governor......IDK what will happen here since Gov Sununu wants a protective order for adults and worked on one with Bradley......his entire caucus in house voted against this bill.....will be rough on the party/down stream elections if he allows it to become law especially given that he vetoed the clone of it last year with a lengthy statement why (HB696)

Lot of bills are pending scheduling of hearings in Senate

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m new here and also a new resident to NH. I moved away from Massachusetts to get away from this nonsense. If there is anyway I can help fight the good fight (besides voting of course. It’ll be nice having my vote really count for the first time in my life) please send me a PM with details. Thanks for all who are keeping up the constant battle.

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hi, I’m new here and also a new resident to NH. I moved away from Massachusetts to get away from this nonsense. If there is anyway I can help fight the good fight (besides voting of course. It’ll be nice having my vote really count for the first time in my life) please send me a PM with details. Thanks for all who are keeping up the constant battle.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

1st step

Find your reps/sen and add phone and email info to email client and smart phone......mail, email and call regularly.....if its a dem then be a squeaky wheel.....if its a rep that waffles then treat like a dem (be polite).....if its a solid republican/libertarian then support/thank them regularly.........rinse and repeat for senators

Current roster with email, phone, address info for senate/house is here http://gencourt.state.nh.us/downloads/Members.xls

Download a copy and save it.

2nd step

Add gov's phone number to email client/smart phone...603-271-2121

I've never seen his email published.....web form is here under Share an Opinion

Rinse and repeat previous recommendations for the executive council...... Official website of the New Hampshire Executive Council

3rd step.....sign up for NHFC and/or any of the other gun groups in NH....pay attention to all of them.....NHFC is the most active involved by far but I would note we have a very good/involved NRA ILA rep currently....this has not always been the case...google "heave ho hohenwarter" for history

4th step.....show up....showing up for hearings is really hard for all of us but it makes all the difference.....further up this thread in one of the first few post is info on showing up for hearings, parking in concord etc.....

Welcome to NH......if you dont want it to turn into mass then we all need to be involved

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Current status based on OP is that a bunch of bad bills have passed and a bunch more WILL pass and go to Gov Sununu's desk

Food for thought

If we take Gov Sununu based on his actions and own words, given his overt violation of right to assemble, right to redress, right to worship, 4th amendment rights, 5th amendment rights and a pile of other overt violations aliong with abandonment of the NH GOP party platforn........why does anyone actually believe he's going to do the right thing and veto all/any of the anti RKBA bills that land on his desk?

He's already totally abandoned the base/core of the party and is fawning over progressive support for the above constitutional violations......

It looks to me that we're way past slippery slope and in full free fall wrt Sununu and abiding by the constitution

gov sununu said:
I believe that public health trumps everything

Last edited:

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Current status based on OP is that a bunch of bad bills have passed and a bunch more WILL pass and go to Gov Sununu's desk

Food for thought

If we take Gov Sununu based on his actions and own words, given his overt violation of right to assemble, right to redress, right to worship, 4th amendment rights, 5th amendment rights and a pile of other overt violations aliong with abandonment of the NH GOP party platforn........why does anyone actually believe he's going to do the right thing and veto all/any of the anti RKBA bills that land on his desk?

Because he did it last year! You got a dam short memory, and loyalty runs both ways. His vetos last year showed where he stands, we need to remind him of that, but we also need to acknowledge it.

This pandemic is a tough situation. The gov has a duty to protect its citizens but needs to balance this against their personal freedoms, frankly, there is no complete win in what they do. And there are some things I think they F'd up and others that make sense. Keep in mind, that if everyone cared about how they and their actions could affect other people, there would be no problem. But that's not how a lot, maybe most, think.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Because he did it last year! You got a dam short memory, and loyalty runs both ways. His vetos last year showed where he stands, we need to remind him of that, but we also need to acknowledge it.

This pandemic is a tough situation. The gov has a duty to protect its citizens but needs to balance this against their personal freedoms, frankly, there is no complete win in what they do. And there are some things I think they F'd up and others that make sense. Keep in mind, that if everyone cared about how they and their actions could affect other people, there would be no problem. But that's not how a lot, maybe most, think.

I've thanked and acknowledged Sununu's eventual veto's of a lot of bad bills

But at the same time he signed into law a bunch of bills that are equally destructive of liberty/freedom

No one is perfect, I have no illusions of holding out for perfection......

But Sununu just said the following in combination with his gross violations of civil rights

I dont thing anyone can/will argue that his actions are lawful let alone constitutional.......so how do we nudge the governor back onto the rails?

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've thanked and acknowledged Sununu's eventual veto's of a lot of bad bills

But at the same time he signed into law a bunch of bills that are equally destructive of liberty/freedom

No one is perfect, I have no illusions of holding out for perfection......

But Sununu just said the following in combination with his gross violations of civil rights

I dont thing anyone can/will argue that his actions are lawful let alone constitutional.......so how do we nudge the governor back onto the rails?
Are you going to post this on the corona thread as well? If all you want to do is throw shat then go for it, but it it really mattered to you you'd stick to a discussion in a thead.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Are you going to post this on the corona thread as well? If all you want to do is throw shat then go for it, but it it really mattered to you you'd stick to a discussion in a thead.

Instead of taking issue with me personally can you address the argument/point I made?

If he's willing to violate all other rights why does anyone believe he wont do it with RKBA?

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All, there are a significant number of bills that have passed the house or senate and will be passed to the other house of the legislature for hearings in coming weeks

Right now there's no indication that normal processes will return for forseeable future and we'll need to "attend" and "testify" electronically/over zoom

The link below is an example of a Senate hearing scheduled for Fri 5/29

Please consider familiarizing yourself with the process in advance

Its important that we continue to oppose bad gun bills and do everything possible to prevent passage in the legislature

This may actually work in our favor and make it easier for larger numbers of people to "attend" and "testify" electronically

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All, there are a significant number of bills that have passed the house or senate and will be passed to the other house of the legislature for hearings in coming weeks

Right now there's no indication that normal processes will return for forseeable future and we'll need to "attend" and "testify" electronically/over zoom

The link below is an example of a Senate hearing scheduled for Fri 5/29

Please consider familiarizing yourself with the process in advance

Its important that we continue to oppose bad gun bills and do everything possible to prevent passage in the legislature

This may actually work in our favor and make it easier for larger numbers of people to "attend" and "testify" electronically

Only if you can communicate to them, and assist them getting online. Some advance workshops on this would be a wise idea for the winning team.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Only if you can communicate to them, and assist them getting online. Some advance workshops on this would be a wise idea for the winning team.

Use tomorrows unrelated hearing as a test run, connect via Zoom then choose not to testify after connected

Instructions were in the previous pdf

I suspect a lot of people are familar with use of Zoom.....its easy to use but like all things....the first time doing something new/different is sometimes challenging

Second time is much easier usually

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Use tomorrows unrelated hearing as a test run, connect via Zoom then choose not to testify after connected

Instructions were in the previous pdf

I suspect a lot of people are familiar with use of Zoom.....its easy to use but like all things....the first time doing something new/different is sometimes challenging

Second time is much easier usually

So, how are you getting this information out to the hundreds, or thousands, of New Hampshire voters you are looking for? Do you have any sort of mail chain, maybe through the sportman's clubs? Through some other group or affiliation? I don't even live in NH, so I'm of no help to you.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For those actually keeping score and playing along/participating this is interesting

Republicans in the house have been criticized by dems and the UL for not folding......

Kudos to GOP leadership.....

Whats at play is the road map for how the house deals with remaining legislation for this session

Without a change to house rules, a 2/3 majority is required to pass anything in the House....unless they are concurring with a senate bill....in which case as I understand it just requires a simple majority

Without a rule change for the deadline, any House bill would require a two-thirds majority for passage. The House would be able to vote to concur with Senate changes to House bills, which would send them to the governor, because a simple majority would be needed for approval.

Dem Speaker Shurtleff has been in typical form.....ignoring process, making claims that are patently false and generally doing whatever the fook he wants until called to the mat/floor for it

Unfortunately, the house passed most of the gun control already and its pending hearings in the Senate save one or two bills

HB 687 as I recall has passed both houses of leg and is pending enrollment before being sent to Sununu at some politically opportune time.....for those that done recall...this is the red flag bill that got rammed thru despite constitutional issues.......and passed by 25 votes in House.......the margin that we failed to run candidates in house races by coincidentally......which illustrates WHY we need to recruite a candidate to run in every single house race for 2020.

Given that pretty much all of the bills have universal opposition so far by GOP I would say under normal circumstances that the governor would be expected to veto them to avoid the terrible optics of going against his entire caucus.......but given sununu's lack of fidelity with the constitution since March of 2020 I think anything is possible/on the table for Sununu at this point

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sununu vetoed the last batch of anti 2a bills because he had, and wanted, the support of the people. Forgetting this, and encouraging others to pull that support is not the act of an honorable man.

Working to undermine the one person who stands between our 2a freedoms and the loss of those freedoms is no less than actively working to remove those freedoms yourself. If JPK gets his way we would all turn against Sununu, he has made that plainly clear. This would result in our loss of our 2a freedoms.

Sununu is not perfect, no man is. But he is the best assurance we have and I'm not going to stab him in the back.

Everyone will make their own decision. I will continue to call/email Sununu's office and ask him to veto these bills as he has past ones. And I will support him come next election when he does.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Covid and the shut down of the legislature may stand a chance at killing some of the gun bills still in the legislature

The GOP in the house has essentially shut down any extension in the house.....so anything still in the house appears to be dead..

Stuff passed over to the Senate is at risk\in question....

HB687 passed the house and is sitting in the senate pending a hearing (Red Flag Bill)

Lots of bills passed over to the Senate as per the OP in this thread.......Senate rules/calendar requires the senate to take action before 6/30........

HB1660 passed both houses and is pending being sent to Gov to sign.....entire GOP caucus voted AGAINST this bill.....lets see what Sununu does with it...

Top Bottom