NFA Items - Picture thread

picked up my 8.5" .300BLK upper on saturday. waiting on the receiver to get back from the engravers, good thing i already have a registered receiver kicking around i can play with.

3D4FEA7E-18AE-4E7A-97BA-2A44C1C3FCD1_zps6eu3cvhu.jpg

Some nice additions to this thread lately. I like lxpoys SBR pile, and atilla's 300 upper. I have good news, my krink build should be done Friday. Should have some good pics Fri/Sat of a pretty rare bird.

lady-amhersts-pheasant.jpeg

AKS-74UN Super Krink

After a one year build, I present the AKS-74UN.

This was a brand new kit with correct twist unfired barrel and registered receiver. Lots of work went into this by Jayson at IGF. Rail was dehoned and smoothed along with many other parts before assembly, test firing, refinishing, and a final test fire. Carrier and hammer were black nitrided for wear resistance. She's a beauty. Still looking for a decent NSPU-3 (1PN51) optic to complete "the look". I'll probably sleep with it tonight to make atilla jealous.

NBAFmF8.jpg

3WK1w2A.jpg

X5rH4Ou.jpg

INkaFXd.jpg

a6c3xoH.jpg

JEm7h9S.jpg

DL9MWgN.jpg

XysetLP.jpg

DvfYzzp.jpg

What is the black finish? She looks great.

Thank you sir, .... it's a dry moly-resin with a shiny black sheen that is furnace baked on and bonds to metal. It's also self-lubricating (important for interior rails). I believe IGF also uses it for refinishing HK projects. Makes for a tough and sexy finish. I had the carrier and profiled hammer sent out to get black nitride treatment to increase their strength and wear properties as well, it matches well on the charging handle side. Barrel is original arsenal chrome lined.

You can see yourself in the dome of the rivets. I like [grin]

This was a brand new kit with correct twist unfired barrel and registered receiver. Lots of work went into this by Jayson at IGF. Rail was dehoned and smoothed along with many other parts before assembly, test firing, refinishing, and a final test fire. Carrier and hammer were black nitrided for wear resistance. She's a beauty. Still looking for a decent NSPU-3 (1PN51) optic to complete "the look". I'll probably sleep with it tonight to make atilla jealous.

NBAFmF8.jpg

3WK1w2A.jpg

X5rH4Ou.jpg

INkaFXd.jpg

a6c3xoH.jpg

JEm7h9S.jpg

DL9MWgN.jpg

XysetLP.jpg

DvfYzzp.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely like how you roll: Do it and do it right.

Do you have that finish on any of your other firearms and how does it wear?

Frigging Gorgeous.

I definitely like how you roll: Do it and do it right.

Do you have that finish on any of your other firearms and how does it wear?

Unknown right now, too early to tell. It "seems" really hard and smooth, I have high hopes for it. This is the first Krink I have with Jayson's Envirotech refinish package from IGF. I've got some RPK mag dumps scheduled for break in soon, I'll video the results. To my knowledge Rifle Dynamics also offers a moly blend finish with the same characteristics. My beater Krink is on page 1, an updated image is below. It's starting to show marks from lots of hard use in progressive carbine, cqb, 3-gun events, drills, but I built it to shoot and throw around. Magwell area and bottom of the receiver is getting pretty marked up, rolling around in the dirt, rocks, sand, and against 8-hole boards. It's earned those scars, but I don't want the thing to look trashed at the end of the year either. When I get tired with it I'll probably send it in for the same treatment & refinish in the off season.

1slwXqL.jpg

What is your reasoning behind mounting the red dot on the front instead of the traditional side mount?

Good observation. Most real 5.45 krinks built from parts don't have side rails unless you rivet them on, so mine is naked on the other side. [smile] That's fine with me, I like less in the way.

I asked myself the same question regarding dots a while ago, and went on a quest to see which platform worked best for me. This may be a bit long but bear with me. I have a bunch of short and standard barrel length AK's in 5.45 and 7.62 to test, I have several RS-Machine rails, 30mm ring and flat top adapters, large Trijicon, Aimpoint (comp/pro), small and medium size dots (Burris, RMR, Bushnell, PA, etc.) to test. My application wish list was for a red dot with a 25-50mm objective, in the lightest package that does full co-witness for 0-100yd distances, yielding the fastest TTFS (time to first shot) on the timer.

I found the RS rail to be a nice piece. It's weightless, clamps down well, and is repeatable. However I feel it places full size optics too far to the rear forcing the user to uncouple from focusing on the front sight from low ready or on the move. With unlimited eye relief I didn't see a reason for it to be 'scope distance' 3-4" eye relief distance like a traditional optic, it also blocks your peripheral vision something fierce with a big round black ring near your head. The Aimpoint comp3/4, PRO, and Eotechs are way too big and heavy IMHO to have any business back there, the weight was killing me for just a simple "dot". They seem overly huge and complex for what I need.

I tried a Samson MFG wedge (rear iron sight replacement w/ reverse-pinch block) putting a picatinny in the middle. Tried it with small (RMR / burris) and medium (Bushnell trophy) dots to move it further forward, halfway up the OAL of the rifle. I found myself getting faster on the draw, but the added height over the sight block was causing me to overcompensate on the lift and moving the bore further apart from the dot. Not as bad as the optic height over the bore of a Tavor or similar, but enough that I was having trouble fitting into slots and cutouts to hit targets.

The best luck I've had is with the Ultimak gas replacement tubes (and also the Troy AK rail system and their own tube) for mounting up front on the rifle. This allows any decent (cheap or expensive) 25+mm viewport size optic to sit right where you raise the rifle to view the irons instinctually, and you can do it fast once you train with it. My favorite bang for the buck for all SBR and sub-guns so far is the simple Bushnell trophy red dot. Tried it on the 5.45 Krink, MP5, UMP, 7.62 SBR, and it just "works" for me. Hoist up the gun and regardless of the battery working or not, you'll either see your irons, or a red dot on the tip of the front sight post with your irons. You shoot the same spot regardless. I find the biggest benefit of the red dot is after the shot, through recoil, waiting for the gun to get back into battery. Simply focus on the dot and it falls on the front sight when ready to go. So in summary, up front, full co-witness with irons, lightweight < 5.0oz, somewhat rugged, and allows krink top-covers to still flip up and operate. Hopefully my long story made sense.

It's best explained with a video probably too, here's me running it on the mp5:

One thing I'm really interested in testing out is the new Trijicon MRO up front to see if it's any clearer / better than the $79 beater optics [wink]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good observation. Most real 5.45 krinks built from parts don't have side rails unless you rivet them on, so mine is naked on the other side. [smile] That's fine with me, I like less in the way.

I asked myself the same question regarding dots a while ago, and went on a quest to see which platform worked best for me. This may be a bit long but bear with me. I have a bunch of short and standard barrel length AK's in 5.45 and 7.62 to test, I have several RS-Machine rails, 30mm ring and flat top adapters, large Trijicon, Aimpoint (comp/pro), small and medium size dots (Burris, RMR, Bushnell, PA, etc.) to test. My application wish list was for a red dot with a 25-50mm objective, in the lightest package that does full co-witness for 0-100yd distances, yielding the fastest TTFS (time to first shot) on the timer.

I found the RS rail to be a nice piece. It's weightless, clamps down well, and is repeatable. However I feel it places full size optics too far to the rear forcing the user to uncouple from focusing on the front sight from low ready or on the move. With unlimited eye relief I didn't see a reason for it to be 'scope distance' 3-4" eye relief distance like a traditional optic, it also blocks your peripheral vision something fierce with a big round black ring near your head. The Aimpoint comp3/4, PRO, and Eotechs are way too big and heavy IMHO to have any business back there, the weight was killing me for just a simple "dot". They seem overly huge and complex for what I need.

I tried a Samson MFG wedge (rear iron sight replacement w/ reverse-pinch block) putting a picatinny in the middle. Tried it with small (RMR / burris) and medium (Bushnell trophy) dots to move it further forward, halfway up the OAL of the rifle. I found myself getting faster on the draw, but the added height over the sight block was causing me to overcompensate on the lift and moving the bore further apart from the dot. Not as bad as the optic height over the bore of a Tavor or similar, but enough that I was having trouble fitting into slots and cutouts to hit targets.

The best luck I've had is with the Ultimak gas replacement tubes (and also the Troy AK rail system and their own tube) for mounting up front on the rifle. This allows any decent (cheap or expensive) 25+mm viewport size optic to sit right where you raise the rifle to view the irons instinctually, and you can do it fast once you train with it. My favorite bang for the buck for all SBR and sub-guns so far is the simple Bushnell trophy red dot. Tried it on the 5.45 Krink, MP5, UMP, 7.62 SBR, and it just "works" for me. Hoist up the gun and regardless of the battery working or not, you'll either see your irons, or a red dot on the tip of the front sight post with your irons. You shoot the same spot regardless. I find the biggest benefit of the red dot is after the shot, through recoil, waiting for the gun to get back into battery. Simply focus on the dot and it falls on the front sight when ready to go. So in summary, up front, full co-witness with irons, lightweight < 5.0oz, somewhat rugged, and allows krink top-covers to still flip up and operate. Hopefully my long story made sense.

It's best explained with a video probably too, here's me running it on the mp5:

One thing I'm really interested in testing out is the new Trijicon MRO up front to see if it's any clearer / better than the $79 beater optics [wink]

Great response, much thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
20150919_070520.jpg Guess I should have put some details. It is a 5.56 with an 11.5" barrel. I have taken it out once and the Battle Comp performed nicely. Not as loud as I though but I think my neighbor on the side of me thought differently. Sorry I may go to the range for some piece but not quite. Next project is an UMP conversion then maybe a 300 BLK.

Last edited:
what sights are those - micro co-witness with a low mount optic, or do my eyes deceive me?
Those are Scorpion Evo 3 A1 micro sights lower 1/3 cowitnessed with a Primary Arms 30mm red dot in low height mount.

Very low profile BUIS but with the Vltor stock, I can get a decent cheek weld when using the irons.

Back
Top Bottom