• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newsflash -- Precision Target Sports Bill Moves to Governor's Desk!!

JonJ said:
Could you easily buy one before this was signed?

No, but I still can't for financial reasons as opposed to financial AND legal reasons before.

Hey, I wonder if they might be able to "sporterize" these for hunting purposes.

Moderator said:
I bet you would be the first one on here complaining if the bill did not get signed. It's better then getting nothing at all. It hopefully will also show that the AG does not have the final say on what guns can and cannot be sold in this state from a FFL to civilian. As you know the AG was against this.

No, absolutely not. Actually, I contacted my rep on this as well. I agree it is in the right direction, but just such a teeny tiny step.

KMaurer said:
Yeah, I know some competition shooters and shotgunners who had exactly the same attitude when the federal AWB was allowed to sunset. Whoopdie doo! Now you can buy machine guns.

Poco a poco. One step at a time.

Ken

I agree with you here. Where do you all come off thinking I am against this again? I just don't see it doing anything for me either. I still support the signing and passing of this law. Sorry I'm so cynical, I live in MA and read this forum.

JonJ said:
So if you can't afford it, no one should be able to buy one?

What am I the new whipping boy here? Gimme a break.

Last edited:
Coyote33 said:
No, but I still can't for financial reasons as opposed to financial AND legal reasons before.

So if you can't afford it, no one should be able to buy one?

Coyote33 said:

They? Meaning the manufacture? I would guess no, I believe the gun must be sold as a approved target pistol. However, once the gun is in you hands you can do whatever you want to with it as long as it still complies with state and federal laws.

There was NOT a "procedure" before to declare a gun as a "target" gun (exempt from testing/Regs).

Now that there will be a "procedure", I think that I know Ron Glidden well enough to predict that he will be a "tough task-master" at determining what meets this criteria.

Then if the Sec. of Public Safety disagrees or decides NOT to issue a List, there will be NO List and no way to sell that gun in MA.

We won some, but it is much less than "ideal".

Time will tell what the end result is for us.

So, basically, you cannot go into a store and get one today, right now, the day after the bill was signed? This did WHAT again?

pokinit.gif
pokinit.gif
pokinit.gif

(-:

Last edited:
Adam_MA said:
So you would consider This
a defensive gun, and not a target pistol?

No, it's a Target gun. But the problem is the base of that gun is a 1911. I don't think that this law is going to take into account the final product. I think that the models of what will be on that approved list is going to be what comes out of the factory.

I agree, anything is a good thing. But I don't see much of a change of what will be available with what was signed.

Now, maybe if they go by model numbers. And these guns come off the line with hard mounted red dots and such, it might make a difference...but I'm not holding my breath.

Scrivener said:
First, the only thing stopping Kimber, Les Baer, et al from selling guns in Mass. is those companies' inertia. Simply put, they do not consider Mass. gun owners worth the effort. Note that a certain dealer keeps offering to PAY for the testing and Baer still ignores this state.

I know I remember seeing this on that web site. [frown]

Scrivener said:
Second, your comment that "all 1911 style guns also considered to be defensive guns" will come as a great shock to anyone shooting Bullseye competition. [rolleyes] .

Are you saying that Bullseye shooters don't realize these are used (and possibly/likely) marketed as defensive handguns as well? That's why I said 'also'. [wink] Maybe not all 1911s... but many. I think we're splitting hairs and my concern is MA/AG will try the same to our disadvantage!

Scrivener said:
Further, as has been discussed on this board numerous times before, SVI certified its two approved models as "target guns" to the AG's office. All are 1911 designs; each has been available here for several years.

Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping up with all the posts on these boards... never mind understanding MA laws. I'm trying to educate myself here, there's lots of data... it doesn't directly impact me today (specifically wrt my choices for firearms) but it is VERY important to me and other gun owners.

Coyote33 said:
What am I the new whipping boy here? Gimme a break.

No, because I'm thinking along your lines of thought.

Not that things should be available today. But I'm not seeing much more on that list tomorrow.

I think that if it was left alone as first put into office, it would have been a good thing. And more of the Cowboy, IPSC, IDPA shooters would have more to choose from.

This started out pretty much a mirror of what CA has as a law. They dinked around with it...changed it and took a lot of verbiage out.

Now, it's more of a feel good change to make us think that something moved forwared. In a twisted way, it did. But I don't see a lot of change coming down the pike in the next few or 12 months.

Again, I hope that I'm wrong...and when this list comes out, there will be a slew of guns on it....but we'll have to see.

Coyote33 said:
So, basically, you cannot go into a store and get one today, right now, the day after the bill was signed? This did WHAT again?

If you had following the bill and been reading about it here on the forum you would know that we must now wait for the EOPS to compile a list of approved target pistols.

Last edited:
Moderator said:
If you had following the bill and been reading about it here on the forum you would know that we must now wait for the EOPS to compile a list of approved target pistols.
I have, and that was the point I was trying to show. Right now, the only list of anything approved is the one I did here, and let me tell you, that is a bargain.

Here is the news link: Romney signs bill to ease tests on target pistols

Coyote33 said:
I have, and that was the point I was trying to show. Right now, the only list of anything approved is the one I did here, and let me tell you, that is a bargain.

Here is the news link: Romney signs bill to ease tests on target pistols

You are wrong. There are other lists.
LARGE CAPACITY WEAPON ROSTER Note that this is not a approval list.
Executive Office of Public Safety APPROVED FIREARMS ROSTER

There is no AG compliant list, that is the abortion of a thread/list you started.

Last edited:
Coyote33 said:
You are off my friend. There is no other list to my knowledge of guns for sale in MA other than the one I did. Those might be approved, but are not for sale anywhere.

And neither is YOUR hallowed list!

Just because "Joe's Gun Shop" will sell a Pardini, hardly means that every shop will do so.

There are some shops that will sell frames, there are others who won't touch them.

Some shops query the mfr on gun S/Ns (e.g. Glock) or models to make 110% sure that they are exempt and can be sold here. There are other shops that will take the word of the guy who sells it to them or puts it on consignment.

Any lists created by whomever in MA is strictly BS! If any of the various "regulatory" bodies changes their mind at ANY TIME, it can throw the list into a tail-spin.

Len, if it is for sale, it is for sale. That list is the real thing. If someone sees something on there which is incorrect, I can fix it easy enough. Until some other list is put together, that is all there is. So much for actually DOING something. I'd rather DO than TALK.

C-pher said:
The new list, you're not going to have to worry about that one...there's not going to be anything on it..[smile]

Oh, you mean anything additional as a result of the signing of this bill?

[rofl] [laugh2]

Coyote33 said:
Oh, you mean anything additional as a result of the signing of this bill?

Given that the bill was just signed yesterday, I think it a tad premature to be declaring it a nullity.[slap]

Instead of carping about how little this bill will do, we might be well-advised to put our energies into sending to the GCAB our own list of "guns designed for formal target shooting".

Ladies and gentlemen, get your pens and pencils movin'!Best idea yet. And seeing as how we all know someone who is connected to a board member....

Last edited by a moderator:
Scrivener said:
Given that the bill was just signed yesterday, I think it a tad premature to be declaring it a nullity.[slap]

You must have skipped on your reading. Go back to the beginning.

Coyote33 said:

Uh oh... There you go... You have gone and poked the scrivener with a stick. Have you not learned ANYTHING since you've been here? Scrivvy-baby will BURY you, not to mention leave you weaponless if you enter into a battle of whits!

DONE. Here are the results:

Your first post was a query as to the status of the bill - hardly insightful. Your second post was this encomium:

Coyote33 said:
You can now buy a Hammerli or Pardini. Whoopdie doo!

Your derogatory assessment is both inaccurate and premature. Note further that a certain gun store w/i the 128 belt has been selling each for some time, state law notwithstanding. [rolleyes]

So, what bon mot, thoughtful analysis or spellbinding observation of yours did we miss? [horse]

Adam_MA said:
Scrivvy-baby will BURY you, not to mention leave you weaponless if you enter into a battle of whits!

Presupposing that he was not already devoid of such necessities.........[wink]

Scrivener said:
Presupposing that he was not already devoid of such necessities.........[wink]

Ouch!! Wow. I'm just greatful you didn't join on my other post where I though I was getting it tough!

Back
Top Bottom