• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

newly produced m1 carbines: who makes the best

just wondering; seen fulton armory ones for $2,000, auto ordnance $1,100, the israeli ones are considered good, the chiappa 22lr version looks cheap, others are considered junk. i have a original beauty $100 yrs ago, now it seems best to spring for a real one

Last edited:
Have you priced the ammo? It’s not the 1970s surplus market anymore
You pretty much have to reload it. Even with high component prices, it’s reloadable for 20 cents plus brass.

But I agree with others, the GI ones run fine. If you just want one to just blast around, pick up an import marked one and you are in business. There’s a huge market for parts too, so if something breaks you can always get a USGI replacement part.

Springfield Armory now even makes a pellet gun M1 carbine for the little ones in your life.

Get A real GI one. They have great vibes...
average $1200 for a decent one
Agreed! I bought one, myself, recently and love it! It's very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. And the ammo wasn't too expensive, either (compared to some of the other ammo I shoot, that is). My Inland Mfg/GM M1 cost me $1000, even:

full

Frank

Have you priced the ammo? It’s not the 1970s surplus market anymore
Yes, the days of cheap M1 Carbine ammo are long gone. I knew an old timer who told me that he used to buy surplus carbine ammo for 1-2 cents a round.

I just finished up reloading about 1500rds of 110gr FMJ and 110gr plated. Bought all the components except the plated bullets years ago. Probably loading them for 12 cents each.

Lots of South Korean troops were still carrying M1 carbines when I was there in the late 1970's. Used to see them on their PT runs, full packs holding M1 carbines over their heads. Tough soldiers.

Used to see them by creeks in late fall/early winter, cold as hell out, bathing in their skivvies.

Last edited:
Get A real GI one. They have great vibes...

If you want to feel the history, sure.

If you want a shooter, a woods gun or a defensive gun, I’d go Fulton. Buying a USGI one, you’re stuck with however they zeroed elevation as you need to file the front sight post down to zero. And the barrel is also very likely shot out. I got lucky with mine and it shot 3-4 MOA with quality defensive ammo. Otherwise it was 5-6 MOA with bulk brass cased FMJ. I know they’re not known for precision, but if someone is interested in going to M1 Carbine matches, a new Fulton will shoot much better than a USGI one.

All depends on what you want to do.

For anybody wanting to use an M1 Carbine for deer or defense, I recommend Lehigh’s 85gr Cavitator. The Underwood loading is the most precise .30 Carbine ammo I’ve shot and the gel tests indicate it would be very effective. Much more so than JHP.

Downside is that it has a clear POI shift from typical 110gr FMJ. It was hitting 13 MOA up and 7 MOA left. So I’d recommend a red dot sight mounted on it to be able to properly zero for the load.

IMG_9927.png

With the prices of new ones, why not buy a GI carbine ?
Well, there are a few good reasons not to buy a GI.

1. If you want the original configuration of the flip sight, push button safety and no bayonet lug. I can't give any real historic data here, but in my experience most GI carbines will no longer be in this configuration.

2. If you don't want the hassle of inspecting a used carbine and any issues that might arise from one.

3. If you want to "modernize" it in any way. Really all this means is putting a red dot on it, or putting it in a new stock, so it's not like you're actually going to bubba the rifle, but you aren't going to keep it in its historic form.

I don't see much merit to a new stock but a red dot is quite useful on the M1 Carbine because the sights just aren't that great, especially if you have the flip sight. If you want to use the M1C for deer hunting, your ammo may not align with your POA.

The options for a dot mount include Fulton's, which replaces the rear sight, the Amega scout mount (which would be very difficult to find these days), and the Ultimak scount mount, which might be the best option because if your dot fails you can remove it and still use your irons. I went with the Ultimak for my Auto Ordnance carbine. And frankly, the M1 Carbine actually looks really good with this setup and the mag pouch on the stock. It is an incredibly light, handy option for deer hunting in New England (you'll need a 5-rd mag in NH).

Of course, you can certainly do all this to a GI carbine, especially since none of it is irreversible.

The Underwood load has been mentioned - that's a great round. However, I chose the Federal Premium 110gr Power Shok JSP. I find that it pretty much hits exactly to the same POA/POI as 110gr FMJ. Buffalo Bore also makes a 110gr JHP "Full Power+" load as well as a particularly nasty 125gr hard cast, both at 2100fps.

What red dot mount did you use?

I didn’t because I had a pretty good USGI WWII M1 Carbine. Didn’t want to mess with it. I was just trying a bunch of different ammo in my carbine.

But it seems like the consensus on best option is Ultimak. It’s also what Fulton sells. I doubt it would be good for precise 1-MOA shooting, but it should be stable enough for the level of precision of the gun and the kinds of accuracy its CONOPS requires.

Well, there are a few good reasons not to buy a GI.

1. If you want the original configuration of the flip sight, push button safety and no bayonet lug. I can't give any real historic data here, but in my experience most GI carbines will no longer be in this configuration.

I don’t have numbers, but every M1 Carbine that went through depot level refit after WWII will NOT be in that original configuration. And that is the vast majority. Pretty much only take-homes and special cases that didn’t go through post-war refit.

Back
Top Bottom