New to me Ruger Single Six

Picked this beauty up today from a member here. What a beautiful, classic gun. Light, well balanced, solid. 22lr shoots soft, 22mag has a satisfying bark, a 2 year old could handle both.

From the serial number it looks like 1972 manufacturers, I'll send ruger a letter for details. It had the safety recall done, I got the original parts and receipt from ruger for the service, in the original box, with the original manual. The velvet bag for the 22mag cylinder is immaculate. The guy I but it from said "I got it new, probably has a box through it if that."

Great seller, his good friend (also a DAMN nice guy throughout the process) are nice guys. If you're looking for a good backyard ffl in Western Mass, or West of Worcester at least, check out Paradis Firearms in North Brookfield. Paul's a class act:)

The flyer was the first shot for me, probably the first out of the gun in decades. The rest are 11 more 22lr and 12 22mag from 15 feet. I plan to try different brands and find out what she likes best.
20180906_164810.jpg 20180906_165018.jpg

I got a 50th anniversary Ruger .22/.22mag and love it. Sexy and fun to shoot...

Oh, and that ain't a "flyer"...

It's a "Warning Shot"...

Congrats! I bought one from a fellow NESer a few years ago and it's fun as hell to shoot. I've never tried it with the magnum cylinder, but I've been meaning to. The thing was fantastic when ammo was in short supply. I could shoot for an hour and go through 50 rounds.

I think mine's a similar vintage to yours and I wouldn't trade it for two Single Tens.

I have the single six hunter version which matches my ruger super blackhawk hunter in 44 mag. As ToddDubya stated, you can can shoot for cheap and have a ton of fun. I love 22 the 22 magnum fireball :). Enjoy!!!

I have the single six hunter version which matches my ruger super blackhawk hunter in 44 mag. As ToddDubya stated, you can can shoot for cheap and have a ton of fun. I love 22 the 22 magnum fireball :). Enjoy!!!
Lady Radtekk and I have a pair of GP100'S 6" in stainless, and I have a 44mag SuperRedhawk 7 1/2". I may be adding a Blackhawk 44mag soon...

I am holding onto the stainless version of the single six revolver for a friend of mine. It is a real nice gun. .22 magnum is very fun to shoot when you get a little tired of 22lr.

I also have his 44 mag super Blackhawk Ruger, which is like a scaled up single six.
There is surprisingly manageable recoil on the Super Blackhawk even shooting .44 magnum, I think due to the way the grips are rounded, the thing kind of rolls up rather than transmitting a shock to your hand. It's not a particularly heavy gun, but the ergonomics are really good.

I bought one of these some time ago from a buddy that was downsizing his collection and I have to say it is easily one of my favorite guns to shoot. It comes out with me every time I go to the range. Gets lots of compliments too!

I've got the 357/9mm convertible Blackhawk, love it! Beautiful piece of weaponry and fun to shoot. Paradis is a great little shop in North Brookfield that is just around the corner from the orchards if your out driving this fall

I've got the 357/9mm convertible Blackhawk, love it! Beautiful piece of weaponry and fun to shoot. Paradis is a great little shop in North Brookfield that is just around the corner from the orchards if your out driving this fall

The convertible is on my short list. What's not to love about a single gun that can shoot 9mm/.38/.357 ?
Talk about having a platform that is well suited to meet ammo scavenging needs Post-SHTF...

iu

I picked one up a few years ago for next to nothing from a member at my club. They were always too much at dealers and were often missing the magnum cylinder. I also bought a .30 carbine revolver from the same guy.

I also have a Super Blackhawk. .44 magnum. I'm trying to stop buying single action revolvers, but I'm not doing well at it.

My son just bought a Colt Scout (the Colt version of the Single Six). It's a .22 magnum. It's in new condition and was made in 1961. The dual cylinder option was not offered until 1964. It's interesting to note that the bore dimensions for .22 long rifle and .22 magnum were not the same. Dual cylinder guns were bored for .22 magnum. If Ruger did the same it might explain why my Single Six was more accurate with the .22 magnum cylinder.

8C5E874E-764F-4A1D-868D-A5FCE8865FA0.jpeg Hard to wrong with a Ruger single action. I have several of my dads early 3 screw revolvers. My latest is a new model Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45 ACP SN 00051 from the collection of the late Fred Davis Jr. My wife found an imaculate autographed copy of his publication “A guide to Ruger guns VI” and gave it to me for Christmas.

It's a great gun, we bought the Single-Six (2 cylinders, but never shot .22Mag yet) some years ago. Fun gun but unloading it is a PITA. I also bought the Ruger .30Carbine as well, lots of fun and usually bring it to the Pumpkin Shoots.

I think the sweet spot for balance lies in the 4.625" or the 5.5". Bought my first in the 80's as a squirrel/bunny gun and got addicted to them. Out west you tend to take new shooters to 'the range' more often than in New England. These single-sixes were the perfect revolver to start with. I would follow up with the sp101 and Redhawk. [rockon]

Then we break this out for some long distance gentlemen's bets.

IMG_3381.JPG

Last edited:
I picked one up a few years ago for next to nothing from a member at my club. They were always too much at dealers and were often missing the magnum cylinder. I also bought a .30 carbine revolver from the same guy.

I also have a Super Blackhawk. .44 magnum. I'm trying to stop buying single action revolvers, but I'm not doing well at it.
I sense a similar issue happening in my house. My daughter thinks it's cool, and Lady Radtekk has a stated affinity for revolvers in general.

Not really. It was whatever crossed the path first while in season, squirrel or bunny. LOL

Couldn't have been the bunny...
...they got 4 rabbit's foots.

I got two, one is the SS steel with a 9.5" barrel on it. I got both without the Mag cylinders, I want to send the 9.5" back to Ruger to get that fitted for one.

Jason

I have 2 Single Six convertibles both with 4 5/8 inch barrels. One is 1971, can't remember the others date.

Also have a 50th Aniversery 357 Black Hawk, and another 357 Black Hawk from the 60s. Both 4 5/8 barrels.

All four are teriffic firearms.

I got two, one is the SS steel with a 9.5" barrel on it. I got both without the Mag cylinders, I want to send the 9.5" back to Ruger to get that fitted for one.

Jason

I have 2 Single Six convertibles both with 4 5/8 inch barrels. One is 1971, can't remember the others date.

Also have a 50th Aniversery 357 Black Hawk, and another 357 Black Hawk from the 60s. Both 4 5/8 barrels.

All four are teriffic firearms.
Looks like I have some catching up to do...

Yay, another project![party][banana][dance]

Back
Top Bottom