• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Steyr AUG Legality in Mass.

rkwjunior

NES Member
I know this has probably been beat to death, but i cant find a thread specifically on this subject. Can someone tell me if A "new" Steyr AUG is legal in Mass, As long as I change the muzzle device?? Long story short, a seller on gunbroker denied me of the sale, he said it's banned by name along with all duplicates and copies of the Steyr AUG. What pissed me off was the fact that he called My home town firearms officer and some gunshops in Mass to confirm, and of course they said No.

I am pretty sure you could get it transferred with a permanently attached comp. I have an AUG clone and had no issues

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

Gunbroker is full of tards.
my guess is he just panicked when he heard the word "massachusetts" and thinks he is selling rifle to Al-Queda

He absolutely panicked, then bagged out after he dragged me along for 3 weeks. He was a young kid going to law school and didn't want to risk it. Hypothetically if it was illegal here he would not be in danger of getting in trouble, the FFL accepting the transfer and myself would get screwed, am i right about this??

I want to know for sure whether the AUG is banned by name?? MGL does say Clones or Duplicates.

A Steyr AUG A3 USA or Steyr AUG A3 M1 is not a "Steyr AUG" as it was banned by name. Competely different models made and sold by different entities.

The A3 and A3 M1 did not exist until present day. The A3 and A3 M1 are not made by the same company - Steyr Mannlicher in Austria vs Steyr Arms USA in Alabama (whose receivers are technically "manufactured" by Vltor and Sabre Defence").

The AUG is a "platform", as is the AR15. The A1, A2, SR, USR, A3, and A3 M1 are all separate models of the AUG "platform".

Current guns banned by name - no.

Dude if someone isnt willing to ship a rifle to an accepting FFL, then theyre full retard.
if someone on gunbroker is that stupid then dont even give them your $$.
chances are somebody scared the kid about Massachusetts so theres no talking him out of it....thats why its called "full" retard.

BTW i have found gunbroker sellers who wont even ship a 10rd mag...so if thats not clear proof then i dunno what is. The only saving grace of gunbroker is that there are usually many sellers so just find the least retarded one.

on the plus side, congrats on the future Aug!

- - - Updated - - -

A Steyr AUG A3 USA or Steyr AUG A3 M1 is not a "Steyr AUG" as it was banned by name. Competely different models made and sold by different entities.

The A3 and A3 M1 did not exist until present day. The A3 and A3 M1 are not made by the same company - Steyr Mannlicher in Austria vs Steyr Arms USA in Alabama (whose receivers are technically "manufactured" by Vltor and Sabre Defence").

The AUG is a "platform", as is the AR15. The A1, A2, SR, USR, A3, and A3 M1 are all separate models of the AUG "platform".

Current guns banned by name - no.

Yeah this guy knows his aug-shit....so what he said,

Dude if someone isnt willing to ship a rifle to an accepting FFL, then theyre full retard.
if someone on gunbroker is that stupid then dont even give them your $$.
chances are somebody scared the kid about Massachusetts so theres no talking him out of it....thats why its called "full" retard.

BTW i have found gunbroker sellers who wont even ship a 10rd mag...so if thats not clear proof then i dunno what is. The only saving grace of gunbroker is that there are usually many sellers so just find the least retarded one.

on the plus side, congrats on the future Aug!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah this guy knows his aug-shit....so what he said,

I told him exactly was Steyr_AUG said, but he said the law said all duplicates and clones, and it does.

And the Tavor isn't better than the AUG, just another AUG knock off.

I told him exactly was Steyr_AUG said, but he said the law said all duplicates and clones, and it does.

If that were true, every ban-compliant AR15 and AK (etc) today would be verboten in MA (as they are duplicates and clones of the "Colt AR15" and "AK") which are also banned by name.

“Assault weapon”, shall have the same meaning as a semiautomatic assault weapon as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994, and shall include, but not be limited to, any of the weapons, or copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber, known as: (i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK) (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9 and M-12; (vi) Steyr AUG; (vii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (viii) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as, or similar to, the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

Have it sent to an NH FFL. Arguing with remotes is a waste of time. There are several who will do compliance work, too, more than likely.

-Mike

Unless you want a 9mm conversion kit....

This really isn't that hard. No the AUG is not banned in Mass, but it will need to be made ban compliant ( just like most AR's). The seller got scared, move on. Have it shipped to a NH FFL if need be, or have your FFL in Mass doing the transfer be the point of contact with the seller.

I here ya, so what makes them legal??

Wrong question. The question is, "What makes it illegal?" Everything and anything is legal until a law is passed specifically saying that it is not. The answer in this case (not including the typical features we have to address on all similar rifles): Nothing, because of what Steyr said. It's a platform, not a very specific model of firearm made by a very specific manufacturer.

Last edited:
Unless you want a 9mm conversion kit...

I Was one of the lucky few to get one.

Wrong question. The question is, "What makes it illegal?" Everything and anything is legal until a law is passed specifically saying that it is not. The answer in this case (not including the typical features we have to address on all similar rifles): Nothing, because of what Steyr said. It's a platform, not a very specific model of firearm made by a very specific manufacturer.

I understand what your saying, but if it says copies and duplicates doesn't that mean any platform of the AUG??

I Was one of the lucky few to get one.

There's seems to be a good number of them for sale in Gun broker at the moment... might be a good idea to get a second. (Although $1200 current asking price is silly stupid )

As far as the ban status, I'm not sure why you keep asking the same question.... No, it's not banned as many others have said. If your that concerned maybe you should contact a lawyer for advice

I'm not concerned for myself, I just want to know how it's truly interpreted and why the platform isn't illegal with the way it's worded in the law. Just want to educate myself for future reference.

I'm not concerned for myself, I just want to know how it's truly interpreted and why the platform isn't illegal with the way it's worded in the law. Just want to educate myself for future reference.

The "list" of banned firearms was basis of the itemized list of "features" that were banned. All of those firearms shared at least 2 of the evil "items" in addition to a removable magazine so where therfore considered a "assault weapon" by reducing the number of "evil items" to no more than 1 item in the list in addition to a removable magazine you cannot have a "Assault Weapon" and therfore is not covered under any of the AWB laws

If you have a firearm that no longer has all of the features of the original "banned" models, there is no way for you to have a copy or duplicate. The way the law was written, the firearms listed were not banned by name, but banned by the commonality of features. The list also states that the banned firearms list was not all inclusive but covered ANY firearm that contained any number of features in excess of the allowable limit

Last edited:
Yup, this.

One word, Ta-Vor [smile]

+1 the Aug is so 1980s Die Hard.

What does that even mean ?

If I go to say, Four Seasons, they don't have a SCAR on the shelf to sell me. The place in Peabody has one on the shelf, they will pin the stock, weld/pin a muzzle brake, and sell it to me. I believe the difference is Four Seasons is not a licensed gunsmith. Someone can correct me if I 'm wrong, and any mass FFL can modify a SCAR or other non-compliant rifle for you.

And what kind of license is this pray tell? I have never heard of such a thing....

The owner told me they are a "licensed manufacturer," (gunsmith?) and can therefore bring in non-compliant rifles and modify them and sell them. Are they lying? Can any store in Mass stock and modify non-compliant rifles like SCARs, Colt 6920MPs etc?

If so, why are people shipping rifles to NH dealers to be modified for MA sale?

The owner told me they are a licensed manufacturer, and can therefore bring in non-compliant rifles and modify them and sell them. Are they lying? Can any store in Mass stock and modify non-compliant rifles like SCARs, Colt 6920MPs etc?

Pretty sure that you either have to have a Gunsmithing FFL or Mfr FFL to do this, not merely an 01 FFL (dealer). Commiechusetts have similar laws/regs requiring at least an extra gunsmithing license issued by the local PD. An SOT here can answer this better than I, I'm sure.

The owner told me they are a "licensed manufacturer," (gunsmith?) and can therefore bring in non-compliant rifles and modify them and sell them. Are they lying? Can any store in Mass stock and modify non-compliant rifles like SCARs, Colt 6920MPs etc?

[rofl] wow, just wow. You can make a firearm compliant yourself provided you do it in a free state

Pretty sure that you either have to have a Gunsmithing FFL or Mfr FFL to do this, not merely an 01 FFL (dealer). Commiechusetts have similar laws/regs requiring at least an extra gunsmithing license issued by the local PD. An SOT here can answer this better than I, I'm sure.

Makes sense then. People should check it out, Northeast Arms in Peabody. They just opened in like May.

- - - Updated - - -

[rofl] wow, just wow. You can make a firearm compliant yourself provided you do it in a free state

Really, weld the comp on yourself, and hope it's reversible? I'm not a skilled welder. Or I can walk into this store in Peabody and have them do it for free, that's my point.

that's a lot easier than transfering it to NH, getting a gunsmith to modify it, then transfering it to mass, paying transfer fees and gunsmith fees, and taking all that time to do it.

Or just walk into a local store and drive home with the rifle, done.

Last edited:
The point is you don't have to be a licensed manufacturer to do the work... I've heard this BS before as a way of charging more for the work

Back
Top Bottom