• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Steyr AUG Legality in Mass.

Makes sense then. People should check it out, Northeast Arms in Peabody. They just opened in like May.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, weld the comp on yourself, and hope it's reversible? I'm not a skilled welder. Or I can walk into this store in Peabody and have them do it for free, that's my point.

that's a lot easier than transfering it to NH, getting a gunsmith to modify it, then transfering it to mass, paying transfer fees and gunsmith fees, and taking all that time to do it.

Or just walk into a local store and drive home with the rifle, done.

Yeah, your really missing the point.... there is no transfer fee to bring it to a gunsmith, in any state. And, any gunsmith competent enough to do the work can do so, it does not have to be a licensed mfg

The point is you don't have to be a licensed manufacturer to do the work... I've heard this BS before as a way of charging more for the work

Well, because they're licensed, they're able to sell you a gun that most Mass stores cannot.

And they don't charge if you buy the rifle from them. Granted they seem to charge retail, like the Colt 6920MP is $1259, not $879 like grabagun, but at least they don't charge for the smithing.

- - - Updated - - -

To do it your way I have to transfer it to NH, pay a gunsmith, then transfer it to Mass.

Well, because they're licensed, they're able to sell you a gun that most Mass stores cannot.

And they don't charge if you buy the rifle from them. Granted they seem to charge retail, like the Colt 6920MP is $1259, not $879 like grabagun, but at least they don't charge for the smithing.

- - - Updated - - -

To do it your way I have to transfer it to NH, pay a gunsmith, then transfer it to Mass.

Nope you don't ( and your getting majorly ripped off )

How so? For ex. They have an LMT CQB for $1700. They'll weld on a comp of my choice, pin the stock, and I walk out the door.

How do I get the same rifle your way for less?

- - - Updated - - -

No need to transfer from NH to MA. Long guns can be transferred by any FFL (dealer/mfr) in any state as long as it is legal in MA. Then you do an eFA-10 as "registration" (NO info on source, skip that page) and you are done. Most gunsmiths also have a 01 FFL to sell guns as well.

How so? For ex. They have an LMT CQB for $1700. They'll weld on a comp of my choice, pin the stock, and I walk out the door.

How do I get the same rifle your way for less?

Colt 6920MP is $1259, not $879
Buy from grabagun for $879 with $5 shipping, have sent to dealer for transfer and gunsmith in $25 + $75-125 and take it home. Save yourself a few hundred $$$

Or

Go to NH dealer and buy it for $900ish, pay $75-125 for AWB compliance crap and take it home.... save yourself a few hundred $$$ (this way you also save the sales tax )

The "list" of banned firearms was basis of the itemized list of "features" that were banned. All of those firearms shared at least 2 of the evil "items" in addition to a removable magazine so where therfore considered a "assault weapon" by reducing the number of "evil items" to no more than 1 item in the list in addition to a removable magazine you cannot have a "Assault Weapon" and therfore is not covered under any of the AWB laws

If you have a firearm that no longer has all of the features of the original "banned" models, there is no way for you to have a copy or duplicate. The way the law was written, the firearms listed were not banned by name, but banned by the commonality of features. The list also states that the banned firearms list was not all inclusive but covered ANY firearm that contained any number of features in excess of the allowable limit
While this logic sounds reasonable, can anybody point to a case or legal opinion confirming the idea that a rifle banned by name in MA would be rendered legal to posses in MA if modified?

While this logic sounds reasonable, can anybody point to a case or legal opinion confirming the idea that a rifle banned by name in MA would be rendered legal to posses in MA if modified?

It's not so much logic as the way the 94 AWB was written ( the mass law is more or less just a copy and continuation of it )

Buy from grabagun for $879 with $5 shipping, have sent to dealer for transfer and gunsmith in $25 + $75-125 and take it home. Save yourself a few hundred $$$

Or

Go to NH dealer and buy it for $900ish, pay $75-125 for AWB compliance crap and take it home.... save yourself a few hundred $$$ (this way you also save the sales tax )

Yeah, ok, I know for the Colt there's great deals going on, making retail way overpriced.

Both scenarios require an additional transfer from NH FFL to Mass FFL right? You can't just drive it home from NH.

- - - Updated - - -

US law (compared to say, UK law) follows the letter of the law, not the intent. So most likely since the name of the rifle isn't exactly the same as written in the ban, it's legal.

Both scenarios require an additional transfer from NH FFL to Mass FFL right? You can't just drive it home from NH.

Two things I cannot make clear enough... 1.There is NO transfer required for a long gun out of state, period. If you are purchasing it from a FFL you can take it home to mass and register it without any additional FFL. If you are buying it online and having it shipped to a FFL, you will pay their fee and take it home and register it in Mass. 2. You stated earlier the "because they are licensed they can sell things most Mass stores cannot" this is completely untrue. Being a licensed MFG gives special privliges, but this is not one of them. FFL'S are exempt from AWB issues for items in their imventory, so the gun shop you mentioned has zero special privilege because for their MFG status.

You are mixing up many laws and making them into a completely different one.

Two things I cannot make clear enough... 1.There is NO transfer required for a long gun out of state, period. If you are purchasing it from a FFL you can take it home to mass and register it without any additional FFL. If you are buying it online and having it shipped to a FFL, you will pay their fee and take it home and register it in Mass. 2. You stated earlier the "because they are licensed they can sell things most Mass stores cannot" this is completely untrue. Being a licensed MFG gives special privliges, but this is not one of them. FFL'S are exempt from AWB issues for items in their imventory, so the gun shop you mentioned has zero special privilege because for their MFG status.

You are mixing up many laws and making them into a completely different one.

Wow, you're right, I thought the high-capacity rule for handgun transfers applied to long guns, thanks for clearing that up. Now that you explained it, yeah, seems better to go that NH gunsmith route!

Yeah, I understand a Mass FFL can stock a non-compliant rifle, but seems to me a lot of manufacturers won't ship a non-compliant rifle to a Mass FFL, legal or not.

Wow, you're right, I thought the high-capacity rule for handgun transfers applied to long guns, thanks for clearing that up. Now that you explained it, yeah, seems better to go that NH gunsmith route!

Yeah, I understand a Mass FFL can stock a non-compliant rifle, but seems to me a lot of manufacturers won't ship a non-compliant rifle to a Mass FFL, legal or not.

Just to clarify one further thing, you can use a out of state gunsmith for work on your rifle or pistol with requiring a "transfer"

Just to clarify one further thing, you can use a out of state gunsmith for work on your rifle or pistol with requiring a "transfer"

Will the NH FFL hand over the rifle to me (a Mass resident) before it's modified? Or I have to arrange a gunsmith to modify it before I can take possession?

Thanks for all the help, and glad it's good news I'm hearing for once.

Will the NH FFL hand over the rifle to me (a Mass resident) before it's modified? Or I have to arrange a gunsmith to modify it before I can take possession?

Thanks for all the help, and glad it's good news I'm hearing for once.

YES, NO, MAYBE.

In the specific case you are mentioning, NO. The firearm needs to be legal in your home state. If you have a secondary property in another state that you can store the firearm at some FFL will sell you non AWB complaint rifles.

Some FFL don't know better either way and will sell you something non compliant or sell you nothing at all

Last edited:
YES, NO, MAYBE.

In the specific case you are mentioning, NO. The firearm needs to be legal in your home state. If you have a secondary property in another state that you can store the firearm at some FFL will sell you non AWB complaint rifles.

Some FFL don't know better either way and will sell you something non compliant or sell you nothing at all

Ok thanks - still great news, prices seem really high in Mass.

Banned model name = Steyr AUG
New model name = Steyr Arms, Inc AUG A3

Therefore, it's not banned by name.

If you buy from PJs-steyraug.com he will make it MA compliant and ship to a dealer of your choice. No additional charge for making it complaint.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Hmm..I was in FS a few hours ago, it was still up and still shows up on their used guns page. At the asking price, it will up for a long time.

I asked, they do not pin muzzle break, which is still a problem in MA

doesnt matter, transduct it through a good FFL and they can probably fix that for short money... shouldn't be more than like $50 or so to have someone do that.

-Mike

Just buy out of state and ask the seller to remove the barrel and ship separately.

The barrel comes off in 3 seconds... bring it somewhere to have a brake pinned before taking possession of the firearm at your FFL. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom