New shot gun day.

I reached out last night to a restorer. He said he could restore if for display or shooting. The ball park range is $500-$1,000

Nice gun. Likely pre-1898 and therefore not legally considered a firearm by federal or state law. No paperwork required.

True and the ignition system puts it in the "Not a gun" category legally (both state and federal), so no paperwork required, no trigger locks required either.

You just need to be careful if Damascus barrels as they need very light loads or they could blow up the barrel. Do some Google and reading on those type barrels and cautions before using it.

I'd get an idea of value before doing anything to it other than cleaning the barrel and works. Also ask what the value would be after restoration, as sometimes it decreases value.

Great gift!

Thanks Len. I don't plan to shoot it. I did ask what the restorer thought the value to be. I did see one on the net for I think $1,700.

True and the ignition system puts it in the "Not a gun" category legally (both state and federal), so no paperwork required, no trigger locks required either.

I dunno about the ignition system. Looks like a standard center fire shotgun.

In the evolution of firing systems, this rifle comes after cap and ball to using nipples to set off or push firing pins to ignite primers on shells loaded in the chambers...interesting and rare.

First off, this is a shotgun. Secondly, this appears to be a garbled description of the pinfire system, which AFAIK, was never used on shotguns. Also, your shotgun is not a pinfire. Its plainly obvious from the photos. Furthermore, there is no nipple on a gun which fires self contained cartridges. That whole apparatus has been done away with and replaced by the primers in the cartridges.

I dunno about the ignition system. Looks like a standard center fire shotgun.

First off, this is a shotgun. Secondly, this appears to be a garbled description of the pinfire system, which AFAIK, was never used on shotguns. Also, your shotgun is not a pinfire. Its plainly obvious from the photos. Furthermore, there is no nipple on a gun which fires self contained cartridges. That whole apparatus has been done away with and replaced by the primers in the cartridges.

I think you're getting hung up on semantics, here. You can see the end of the firing pin that the hammer strikes in the last photo, right were the nipple would be on a percussion gun. It isn't a pinfire, it is a regular shotgun that the hammer strikes the "nipple" and sends the firing pin into the primer. I'm not sure if the firing pin goes all the way through, or if the strike to the "nipple" hits a separate firing pin.

I have a very nice 1880's damascus barrel SxS 10 guage that I bought chamber inserts for and shoot light 16 gauge loads through. It's a heavy SOB! I've shot a pheasant with it. Even though it is antique, it is capable of firing modern ammunition (even if it's not meant to be fired with modern smokeless powder, if it is capable of doing so then it's a "firearm" as far MA storage laws are concerned) and therefore I keep a trigger lock on it where it sits above the fireplace. Pretty friggin' lame to have to do that, but MA. If it were percussion or matchlock you would not have to triggerlock it. Yours seems to be the same ignition system as mine.

I wish I could upload more pics but NES won't let me. Only 10 per post!

Last edited:
I have a very nice 1880's damascus barrel SxS 10 guage that I bought chamber inserts for and shoot light 16 gauge loads through. It's a heavy SOB! I've shot a pheasant with it. Even though it is antique, it is capable of firing modern ammunition (even if it's not meant to be fired with modern smokeless powder, if it is capable of doing so then it's a "firearm" as far MA storage laws are concerned) and therefore I keep a trigger lock on it where it sits above the fireplace. Pretty friggin' lame to have to do that, but MA. If it were percussion or matchlock you would not have to triggerlock it. Yours seems to be the same ignition system as mine.

The propellant is not relevant, only if the gun takes fixed cartridges.

Back
Top Bottom