• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New shot gun day.

Wife's uncle just gave me this. I have no knowledge of it's history but have asked and will edit when I find out. I think I can just include this into my inventory with my C&R? Or is it too old to matter?
DSC00696.jpg
DSC00697.jpg
DSC00698.jpg
DSC00699.jpg
DSC00701.jpg
DSC00702.jpg
DSC00703.jpg
DSC00706.jpg
DSC00707.jpg
DSC00708.jpg

I don't think it's muzzle loading. The lever on top allows me to break it. And there are 2 triggers.

I'll give you $20

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you $20

NO way man, I want $22! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed that on the flat surface between the 2 barrels on the underside is the number 2743 which appears lightly stamped.

Try some 3" magnum loads with steel shot.... Just kidding.
Heres a phone number.
raick%20freres%2053%20illustration-01.jpg

It might be old enough that it's no longer a gun.

Get more pix of the marking, proof marks, etc.

Remove the foreend, then break the action, the barrels should swing free...then you can get the proof marks, etc

The text you posted seems to indicate that it's a Belgian gun, with Krupp steel barrels.

More pix will help.

Thanks for that, didn't have a chance to search myself yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely beautiful! 16 gauge? You should consider having it professionally restored, at least clean up any rust in the engravings.

That's what my wife's uncle said too. Do you know of anyone local to Foxboro who would do it.

- - - Updated - - -

It might be old enough that it's no longer a gun.

Get more pix of the marking, proof marks, etc.

Remove the foreend, then break the action, the barrels should swing free...then you can get the proof marks, etc

The text you posted seems to indicate that it's a Belgian gun, with Krupp steel barrels.

More pix will help.

I tried to upload more pics but got a message that I could only upload 10 pics. Sent the others to GPP and waiting for him to post.

Got them will try and up load.

Last edited:
It has this proof mark

ELG on star in a vertical oval: final acceptance, of use of 1846 to 1893.

Is that muzzle loading?
those look like firing pins under the hammers, but it probably used black powder shells. it's really in nice condition, well taken care of. someone loved that gun. and the screws aren't too buggered either. pretty nice gift, good for you!

Thanks everyone. This Uncle in the past has also given me an early 1970's Colt SA Army LNIB condition too.

And my wife's grandfathers Winchester Model 1890 in near mint. And a Colt 1851 Navy Cap and Ball in a nice presentation case.

I was just told this from Uncle Bill.

My next store neighbors Grandfather brought it here from Europe when they migrated to the U.S. in the 1800's. In the evolution of firing systems, this rifle comes after cap and ball to using nipples to set off or push firing pins to ignite primers on shells loaded in the chambers...interesting and rare.

From just a quick search, it looks like it's definitely C&R eligible. It appears that Raick Brothers stopped trading around 1950, which at this point makes anything they produced C&R eligible if in the original configuration, no?

Thats a beautiful SxS. I've been looking for one like that for YEARS, SxS, mule ears, double triggers, English cut stock, sling swivels.......Those features are hard to find all on one shotgun.

Very nice shotgun.

Do you hunt? This would be an amazing gun to use lightly (once or twice a season with reduced pressure loads) going after pheasant. You day is a success, whether you see a bird or not.

Back
Top Bottom