New shooter thinking of Sigma 9mm or SR9

I think it's sort of interesting that no one had anything to say about the Ruger and it fell completely out of the conversation.

See post #7.

I thought it was real nice. Nicer than the P-95, and with a striker instead of hammer. Great quality feel to it.

Would not get the Sigma.

M&P - I love mine
Beretta - to big to carry great at the range
Ruger - A friend has one and is very happy with it.

If your a Smith & Wesson fan and serious about purchasing one of their guns stay away from the Sigma and buy an M&P 9mm Smith. Much better gun and they worked the bugs out of this weapons system better than they did the Sigma. Smith sort of got egg on their face with the Sigma because the crapped it out too soon without running it through the necessary tests.

I just got back from Smith & Wesson last week because I was down there all week for a weapons class and the training coordinator and I got into a real good conversation about the Sigma and even he admits its a piece of crap.

Again, buy a M&P smith if your set on the Smiths. I am a Glock fan to the bone but I also like some of the Smiths and the M&P guns are good to go.

my 2 cents.

Rob

I think it's sort of interesting that no one had anything to say about the Ruger and it fell completely out of the conversation.

honestly the SR9 was my 1st gun, I loved it... until I shot a few other pistols at the range..... then I could not get rid of it fast enough!

to the OP I purchased a brand new with tags never fired Beretta 92fs dual tone ( inox slide ) with case and two mags off the classifieds on this site for $450 yup $450 the deals are out there!!!!

Worked fine for me, I don't see what got your panties all in a bunch.

Well the last time I bought 10mm ammo it was almost as expensive as .45[shocked] That may well work for you but I still don't see how a subcompact Glock in 10mm is the thing for a non carry piece as a first pistol.

I don't have any experience with Sigma. But, I do own the Ruger SR9 and have consistently shot 100 rounds per week for the last 8 months. I have had no problems or issues with the gun. Very well made, and I think built to last.

I asked this same question when I was looking for my first handgun. The responses I got were about the same, so I bought a 1911 instead. It was out of my budget, but I've always really wanted one. A little later on, I went out and got a M&P 9mm and I'm really glad i did. I just had the Greg Derr trigger done, and I'm sure I'm going to like it even more. If I had waited until I moved up to NH I may have gotten a Glock instead, but I didn't want to pay the MA premium for one. So like everyone else, FWIW, I would say spend the extra $100ish and get an M&P.

This. Or save and get an M&P. You might not even need to save, used M&Ps run about $400.

Agreed, keep your eye open in the classifieds. I picked up a very lightly used M&P9 full size last summer for $375, and a M&P9c unfired for $400. Add a trigger job and you've got a much better gun that a Sigma for not that much more.

Well the last time I bought 10mm ammo it was almost as expensive as .45[shocked] That may well work for you but I still don't see how a subcompact Glock in 10mm is the thing for a non carry piece as a first pistol.
And the last time I bought 10mm ammo I picked up some M&M Reloads for $13.75/50rds, whats your point? I mean for everything thing you've said up until this point?

Agreed, keep your eye open in the classifieds. I picked up a very lightly used M&P9 full size last summer for $375, and a M&P9c unfired for $400. Add a trigger job and you've got a much better gun that a Sigma for not that much more.

Thanks eisenhow

I will keep an eye out. If I can find an M&P for that price I would take it. I am save'n for the SR9 for now.

Back
Top Bottom