New shooter thinking of Sigma 9mm or SR9

Looking to get either the SR9 or the Sigma 9mm. This will be my first 9mm and I can't carry. I just want a gun I can get comfortable with shooting 9mm. Budget around $400. I shot the Sigma in Springfield last week and it was ok, but I DO like the feel and boxy-type look. The price is great too.

Are there other choices in this price range?

Has anyone taken out the pigtail spring on the Sigma and felt a difference in the trigger pull?

Thanks!

My first handgun was a Sigma .40. I could never really get used to the trigger. I bought it in the mid 90's and just sold it last month. The gun is very dependable as I only had one jam ever (the gun needed to be cleaned)

Held the Ruger last weekend and it seemed pretty nice. The only downside is that older P-series magazines don't fit, so you are limited to 10 rounds top capacity.

Was it because of the trigger pull? Everyone I ask tells me taking out the pigtail spring will cut the pull in half.

The pull was horrible, absolutely horrible. However, the quality was severely lacking as well. The trigger actually fell apart twice when I was at the range (S&W's range, fyi). The little plastic pin that serves as the fulcrum for the trigger safety drifted completely out during firing. After the second time that happened, one of S&W's range officers suggested that I dump it and get a Glock, which I did.

The Sigma is inexpensive and in my limited experience, not very durable. I'd spend more and look at the M&P and Glocks if you want a plastic pistol and the Beretta or some of the other S&Ws if you want a steel gun. Sigs are very nice but more money

+1 for those saying get an M&P or a Glock and don't look back. I have no experience with the SR9, so that may be a decent choice also. Avoid the Sigma.

Between those two, save your money, get a S&W Model 10, stuff it with 158 grain lead hollow points and be done with it.

In the end you will have an ultra reliable pistol, chambered in a proven cartridge, that can also serve as a truly effective blunt impact weapon if need be.

My SW9VE was my first firearm purchase due to it's reasonable price. I found it's ergonomics to be superior to most other guns near it's price range. Once broken in it'll eat ANY ammo I put through it. The trigger does wear in, but it's still stiff and long. The only reason I don't use mine much anymore is that I finally found a Glock 19 locally, the gun I was looking for to begin with.

Between those two, save your money, get a S&W Model 10, stuff it with 158 grain lead hollow points and be done with it.

In the end you will have an ultra reliable pistol, chambered in a proven cartridge, that can also serve as a truly effective blunt impact weapon if need be.

This. Or save and get an M&P. You might not even need to save, used M&Ps run about $400.

Yours for $255 plus shipping and transfer and it is 1000 times the gun than the Sigma or SR9 will ever be.

pix295115203.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142264365

Not my auction, BTW.

My first firearms purchase was a Sigma. Don't do it.

I did exactly the same thing.

If you buy the Smegma and you'll just be looking to off load it. If you can find someone with a M&P with a trigger job just give that thing a try. If you possess even the slightest skills with tools you can do some significant improvements on an M&P by yourself.

Hell, even a S&W 910 would be a good substitute. Or you can spend too much for a MA Glock. Totally up to you.

...one of S&W's range officers suggested that I dump it and get a Glock, which I did.

I just wanted to re-post that to make sure you got it the first time. A S&W employee (who will remain nameless for the sake of his or her job) told me the Sigma was garbage. Just chew on that before you make your purchase. Buy cheap = buy twice.

An S&W 5906 or 5946 is also an outstanding choice in semi autos. As a BIG plus, high capacity magazines are available to you.

I agree with Jose's 5906 recommendation over either a Smegma or SR9. Or, better yet, save some more money.

I got my XD9 subcompact for $425 used. I like it a lot but it is kind of thick for CC. I manage though. I have the Ruger P345 which was Ruger's first attempt at a redesign of the old P series. I like it but a 1911 feels so much more robust. Even my XD feels more robust.

Just go to a gun store and look at all the guns in 9mm that are selling for about $400. Pick the one that feels the best in your hand. Once you have determined which one feels good in your hand and one that feels the second best, record the make and model number and come back to NES to ask if it is a good choice.

I think Jose has the right idea. A good used revolver can be a bargain. I especially like the idea of a 4", .357 Mag. You can shoot mild to wild 38 caliber to .357 Magnum. Learn to shoot the gun with lighter ammo, use heavy duty for home defense. A used model 13 S&W would cost around $300 if you look around. A good Ruger GP100 is a good gun in that price range.

Everyone doesn't have to have a hi-cap automatic.

I think Jose has the right idea. A good used revolver can be a bargain. I especially like the idea of a 4", .357 Mag. You can shoot mild to wild 38 caliber to .357 Magnum. Learn to shoot the gun with lighter ammo, use heavy duty for home defense. A used model 13 S&W would cost around $300 if you look around. A good Ruger GP100 is a good gun in that price range.

Everyone doesn't have to have a hi-cap automatic.
This.

Don't forget the Model 65 (Model 13 in stainless). They seem to be more abundant second hand than 13s, thus even better deals can be had.

I only threw out the Model 10 to show just how dirt cheap a real quality handgun can be.

While I carry an M&P with 17 rounds in it and another 17 on my belt on occasion, I most definitely do not feel undergunned with a .357 Magnum sixgun and a spare speedloader which is what I carry about 90% of the time.

I went and rented the M&P 9mm today and it felt great. The Ruger felt nice in my hand, but haven't fired it. The Ruger SR9 is about $450 and the M&P is $550. Still thinking it over.

Back
Top Bottom