New Ruger .22

Porque?

Doesn't Ruger usually submit everything?

It would mean a redesign of the 10/22 (loaded chamber indicator/mag safety, etc).

And even if they were to do that, it still wouldn't be legal here because it would be considered an "assault pistol".

Can you elaborate for us non-technical types? In particular why would it be considered an assault pistol?
THanks

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

`(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and...

a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

Thanks. Naturally, it all makes complete sense as always. I for one am truly thankful our lawmakers are continuing to watch out for us.

This shop also had a Ruger Mark III that had been modified for a suppressor. It was beautiful

I saw that up a State Line the other night. It's interesting, but what does it really have over a MKIII? The caliber doesn't justify the mass IMHO.

If I wanted something that big, I'd rather have a T/C Pistol where I can change calibers and has a use that is not already covered by a typical .22 semi auto like the MKIII or others.

Thanks for the education on the "Assault Pistol" thing... what a state...

Could you make one in MA with pre-ban 10/22 and make it an SBR (with all associated paperwork and cost)? There are folding stocks with pistol grips out there and barrel changes are easy on the 10/22.

Last edited:
Could you make one in MA with pre-ban 10/22 and make it an SBR (with all associated paperwork and cost)? There are folding stocks with pistol grips out there and barrel changes are easy on the 10/22.

The trick to that is that you need a 10/22 that was assembled in a banned configuration prior to the ban.

The trick to that is that you need a 10/22 that was assembled in a banned configuration prior to the ban.

I think it just has to be a preban reciever? no? I don't think it had to be evil before the ban. Any comments from our resident legal staff?

I think it just has to be a preban reciever? no? I don't think it had to be evil before the ban. Any comments from our resident legal staff?

In order to put a folding stock on it, it had to have been in a pre-ban configuration prior to 9/13/94.

It can be built into an SBR (with local CLEO sign-off and ATF approval), on a pre-ban or post-ban rifle.

Having it configured as an SBR does not make it exempt from the AWB.

Additionally... a person cannot purchase a rifle and make a handgun from it ("assault pistol" or otherwise). The BATFs position is that "once a rifle, always a rifle".

The Ruger that the OP posted, could be brought into this state by anyone moving here, but only if they were able to reduce the weight of it by 6-7 ounces.

I saw that up a State Line the other night. It's interesting, but what does it really have over a MKIII? The caliber doesn't justify the mass IMHO.

If I wanted something that big, I'd rather have a T/C Pistol where I can change calibers and has a use that is not already covered by a typical .22 semi auto like the MKIII or others.

Thanks for the education on the "Assault Pistol" thing... what a state...

The only thing it really has over the Mark III is the abillity to accept 30 round magazines.

The BATFs position is that "once a rifle, always a rifle".

Not exactly... It all depends on the configuration of the gun as first built. If the receiver was assembled into a pistol first, it can then be reconfigured into a rifle, and back again. However, if it was assembled into a rifle at any time before it was assembled into a pistol, it would be an SBR...

See http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

--EasyD

I like 'em. The wife has agreed to buy me one as a late Christmas gift too. Seeing how hooked on 10/22's I became, I can only imagine the projects I can do with these now.

Loginname,
Do you have a link for this?
TIA
Gary

My mistake (I usually include a link anytime I cite a reference)...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c103:1:./temp/~c103BQoA0o:e643945:

It's part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.

LoginName,
The link doesn't work.
Does this pertain to Federal or State law?
For instance, are you saying that this would be illegal to posses?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90223352#PIC

Note that it is registered as a pistol.
Thanks
Gary

LoginName,
The link doesn't work.
Does this pertain to Federal or State law?

Let's see if I can get it right this time. [thinking]

http://mail.csufresno.edu/~haralds/govdocs/Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.htm

The language I posted is part of the original Federal 1994 AWB.

It is also part of the MA AWB (as it pertains to the definitions section of an "assault weapon").

Rather than writing out the full definitions section of the fed AWB,
MA legislators simply referred to it by title and section (I believe it's called "incorporation by reference" or something similar).

So no, it doesn't pertain to Federal law anymore, but it does pertain to MA law (The GOAL thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29813
explains it a bit more).

For instance, are you saying that this would be illegal to posses?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90223352#PIC

Note that it is registered as a pistol.
Thanks
Gary

Yep... that's a no-go in MA (and probably every other state with an AWB on the books). It has a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip, a threaded barrel (I don't know if that's a flash hider or muzzle brake that's installed), "barrel shroud" (even though it's actually a hand guard), and I'll assume it easily weighs over 50oz.

One thing about "assault pistols", is that unlike the ban on "assault rifles", is that there's no easy fix or way around to building one that
would be legal in this state. With a rifle it's simple enough to remove the bayonet lug, folding/collapsible stock and flash suppressor/threaded barrel and still have a legal firearm.

With an "assault pistol" it's a little more difficult. Eliminating the flash suppressor, barrel shroud/hand guard is easy enough... the got'cha part is trying to keep the unloaded weight under 50oz's.

During the 94 AWB, one way of doing that was by milling/cutting slots into the receiver and other parts to remove as much material as possible from the gun so that it looked like a cheese grater as in the OA-93

http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm

There are other alternatives (such as permanently affixing the magazine), none of which are really practical or desirable...

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html

The other got'cha (if building one on your own), is that it would have to be manufactured from a stripped receiver. Under Federal law, a person cannot manufacture a handgun from a longarm (if it was originally shipped from the factory that way). The BATF's position is that once a rifle... always a rifle.

It's another reason why some people purchase stripped receivers.

Let's see if I can get it right this time. [thinking]

http://mail.csufresno.edu/~haralds/govdocs/Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994.htm

The language I posted is part of the original Federal 1994 AWB.

It is also part of the MA AWB (as it pertains to the definitions section of an "assault weapon").

Rather than writing out the full definitions section of the fed AWB,
MA legislators simply referred to it by title and section (I believe it's called "incorporation by reference" or something similar).

So no, it doesn't pertain to Federal law anymore, but it does pertain to MA law (The GOAL thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29813
explains it a bit more).
Is it safe to assume that a pre-ban exemption for an assault pistol exists if it falls under the "AWB"?
Under Federal law, a person cannot manufacture a handgun from a longarm (if it was originally shipped from the factory that way). The BATF's position is that once a rifle... always a rifle.

It's another reason why some people purchase stripped receivers.

Do I have this right (assuming a pre-ban exemption exists)?
To achieve a "assault pistol" result, someone would have to buy a pre-ban rifle (which would allow the AWB featues), register it with the feds as a SBR, then remove the stock?
Or, could someone buy a pre-ban (if it could be found, excluding the EOPS list and AG regs for sake of argument) pistol, register it with the feds as a SBR (I have heard of people doing this in free states) and put a stock on it to make a SBR?
Thank You for your time and info.
Sorry if this is a thread "high jack", I thought it might pertain the the firearm in the original post.
Thanks
Gary

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that a pre-ban exemption for an assault pistol exists if it falls under the "AWB"?

Yes... any pre 9/13/94 'assault pistol" is legal in MA (as are pre 9/13/94 rifles and shotguns), however in order for an FFL in MA to sell one, it had to have been registered in the state before 1998 (I forget the exact day and month).
Do I have this right (assuming a pre-ban exemption exists)?
To achieve a "machine pistol"...

(I'm assuming you mean "assault pistol"... a machine pistol is full-auto and an entirely different section of the NFA would apply)

result, someone would have to buy a pre-ban rifle (which would allow the AWB featues), register it with the feds as a SBR, then remove the stock?

If you register a rifle as an SBR and remove the stock then it's no longer an SBR... it's a handgun. Since it was originally configured as a rifle when it left that factory, that would be illegal.

An exception to this would be certain Lugers, Broomhandles, etc with a shoulder stock. At one time, they were classified as NFA firearms (SBR), but they're now exempt and are in the C&R category.

In this case, it would be legal to remove the stock and put it back on again as the firearm was originally manufactured as a handgun.

Or, could someone buy a pre-ban (if it could be found, excluding the EOPS list and AG regs for sake of argument) pistol, register it with the feds as a SBR (I have heard of people doing this in free states) and put a stock on it to make a SBR?
Thank You for your time and info.
Sorry if this is a thread "high jack", I thought it might pertain the the firearm in the original post.
Thanks
Gary

Sounds legal to me (disclaimer... I am not a lawyer [smile]).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Thompson-Center_Arms_Company
for more info on the SBR/rifle/pistol legalities.

Last edited:
LoginName,
Yes I meant to say assault not machine pistol.[grin]
I think I've got it. [smile]
The one thing that still confuses me, is starting with an NFA SBR and converting to a pistol.
originaly posted by LoginName
If you register a rifle as an SBR and remove the stock then it's no longer an SBR... it's a handgun. Since it was originally configured as a rifle when it left that factory, that would be illegal.
I was told by a well known and respected class 3 dealer in MA "If you buy this (post-ban) MP5 clone and SBR it, the rifle can have AWB features ie: a collapsible stock and 3 lug barrel" (which I new was false) "Or you can SBR it, take off the stock, cap off the end of the receiver and have a pistol". Which I now know, would also have made me a felon. I guess I was given bad advice twice. [angry]
How does the saying go Caveat Emptor?
Thank you very much for helping me sort through these BS Mass laws.
I hope this info helps others also. [grin]
Gary

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom