m44

Hi guys I'm new here just joined today. I live in Holland,Mass. I am a13 year old kid mega addicted to milsurp rifles. So far I have gotten a mosin-nagant m44 (1944 dated), A yugo 24/47 mauser, a 1947 dated K31,and a norinco SKS. I am also restoring a gew 88 which should be complete in a few weeks I hope. Luckily for me my parents are gun people well I should say my mom she is much better than my dad not that he is against guns or anything but he figures all he needs is his shotgun and 22. I have other guns to but the milsurps are the important ones, I also collect bayonets. I will try and take some pics for you guys. Forget to mention anyone here live in my area, anyone shoot at the Holland rod and gun, or does anyone go to Bronz classic Firearms (he is the best shop there is) .m44

Hi M44. Welcome to the forum. Being a Milsurp collector you are in good company here. Many many folks with the same interests. I'm sure they will be posting shortly. One in particular I can think of. [grin]

Holland huh. I grew up in Sturbridge and was in Holland playing softball at the field cross from the elementary school all the time. Great little town. Never been to the Holland Rod and gun club.

That's great that your Mom is big gun person. Most times it's the other way around. Great sounding collection you have already. Good luck in your future buys. You should convince your Mom to let you become a member of this forum. We have a LOT of group shoots for the members and you could come out with her and try all kinds of different guns from milsurps to modern

Bron's is a great place. Been in there many times.

Hey M44,

You have a better collection of Milsurp then I do at this point... although i see your Mauser and raise you a Garand.

You have more milsurps than maybe 80% of the people here. Very well done.

Make sure you pick up an M1 carbine before they're all gone.

Welcome Junior Milsurp Collector! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. Keep going on that collection - you're doing fine.

When it comes time to shoot that Gew 88 Commission Rifle, make sure you get some handloads that have been reduced in power. That thing is older than your grandfather, and you have to be careful.

Make sure you check out the other Milsurp forums like the ones at www.surplusrifle.com and www.gunboards.com

And when you hear from a guy on this forum named "Milsurps 4 Me", tell him about the East German SKS you just sold for $200 last week.....

Enjoy!

Oh, and feel free to make up of those wussies on this board who are afraid to shoot an M44 with heavy ball ammo. Or at all.

When it comes time to shoot that Gew 88 Commission Rifle, make sure you get some handloads that have been reduced in power. That thing is older than your grandfather, and you have to be careful.

Enjoy!

I'm probably older than his grandfather as I have grandkids older than him !

Seriously, good advise for the REALLY old stuff. Be sure and check the GEW88 as they came in two different bores. I don't remember any other details but I do remember reading that somewhere.

And when you hear from a guy on this forum named "Milsurps 4 Me", tell him about the East German SKS you just sold for $200 last week.....

Pfft... don't listen to him. If he keeps bugging you just remind him of the M27 and M28 Mosin Nagants you gave away to gunsmith students learning sporterizing, he'll understand.[smile]

All kidding aside, congrats on your interest of the world of surplus guns. Collecting and preserving old military rifles is a hobby thats gotten great popularity recently.

Movies like Saving Private Ryan and video games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty have introduced a new breed of milsurp collectors to the world of surplus firearms. After all, I'm 37 and thats how I got started.[wink]

Mauser types like K98s, M24s, etc., Swiss straight pulls, Mosin Nagants, Enfields, SKS rifles (my personal favorites), and most recently M95 straight pull rifles, have all flooded the markets and are cheaply available to anyone looking to collect surplus firearms.

You're off to a great start by collecting bayonets. Often this is one accessory that is overlooked by many collectors of rifles with slings being a close second.
Just try and find an Argentine Mauser green leather sling under $75 and you'll see how military surplus collecting has grown, let alone finding a real Finnish Mosin Nagant M39 bayonet at an affordable price.

You're young and have a great future in store with many items to strive for that may seem unobtainable now but can be yours with saving money and looking hard. Don't let anyone discourage you by the stories of Mausers and Enfields for $50 many years ago and how the rifles are drying up. There will always be old rifles for sale somewhere by someone and today's price is comparable to what yesterday's was with inflation in order.

I look forward to seeing pics of your collection and feel free to ask anyone here on advice or info on certain guns.

Be sure and check the GEW88 as they came in two different bores. I don't remember any other details but I do remember reading that somewhere.

That's the biggest concern. The GEW 88 was originally chambered for the 7.92x57 I cartridge (.318 diameter bore), but the GEW 98 and newer mausers were chambered for the 7.92x57 IS cartridge (.323 diameter bore). Modern cartridges are of the IS variety. The problem arises when you try to send a larger bullet down a smaller bore - pressure increases sharply.

Some of the GEW 88's were later converted to the new standard - these usually have an "S" stamped on the receiver ring, and have a small cut-out area to allow for the pointed "spitzer" bullet rather than the old round-nose.

Alot of the GEW 88's were "inherited" by the Turks after WWI, and were converted from a mannlicher clip system to a internal magazine system. These often have Turkish Crescent stamped on the receiver and bolt handle.

Best bet is to "slug" the bore with a lead ball and be sure what the actual caliber is for your rifle.

On the gew 88 I go to a forum just for 88s so I pretty much new all that was mentioned, never hurts to be careful though if I did not know some of this stuff it could have been a little unhealthy for me.I have a deal lined up for the last parts I need so I should have a shooter in a few weeks. mine is not a turked one I am hoping to get a turked 88 soon, and a KAR 88.

On the M1 carbine it is up there on my to get list along with a m1 garand the big problem is the cash to get those.(I also wanna get more Mosin-Nagants and mausers that is not all but if I wrote everything I want to get we would be here all day)

Hope to be able to go shooting with you guys some time unfortunately my mom does not shoot as much as she used to (due to lack of time), so I go with my dad or my older brother (my brother used to post here under the name of levergun). The nice thing about my mom is she pretty much does not have problems with my milsurp collecting, where as my dad says I have to many guns (besides my milsurps I have 3 .22s ,2 shotguns, and a musket all aquired before milsurps). My dad does take me deer hunting though. but my older brother might take me to a shoot (I hope so) .

People arent really afraid to shoot m44s are they?

I will get the pics as soon as I get a chance.m44

There are those on this forum who cringe at the thought of shooting an M44.

With the M1 carbine, you can get one from the CMP for $419. It takes some paperwork but isn't hard. Start saving, it's one of the nicest shooters and most collectable rifles out there these days.

Welcome to the forum, M44!

It's great to see younger shooters joining the sport. You must have one hell of a paper route, though... I sure couldn't have afforded all those milsurps when I was 13! [smile]

If your brother or your folks are interested, though, there's an Appleseed Shoot coming up next weekend - and since you're under 21, you can shoot FREE. We teach shooters how to USE that rifle and turn them into Riflemen. Go here for details. Basically, bring one of your rifles that is reliable and you can shoot all weekend long and 500 rounds of ammo for it. .22s are just fine; many of us will be shooting them. (Me, for example!). Or bring the M44 if you want... [pot]

People arent really afraid to shoot m44s are they?

When you get a few moments do a search in the forum for the M44 Bayonet Charge. [smile] Some good pics and a video or two of a number of us shooting their M44s at a group truck shoot and then charging it with bayos out to skewer it. Pretty funny and a great time. And yes, we had a broken down truck delivered to the range for this shoot. There are pics of what it looked like before and after the shoot. Swiss cheese was more like it when it left the range.

Welcome to the forum, M44!

It's great to see younger shooters joining the sport. You must have one hell of a paper route, though... I sure couldn't have afforded all those milsurps when I was 13! [smile]

If your brother or your folks are interested, though, there's an Appleseed Shoot coming up next weekend - and since you're under 21, you can shoot FREE. We teach shooters how to USE that rifle and turn them into Riflemen. Go here for details. Basically, bring one of your rifles that is reliable and you can shoot all weekend long and 500 rounds of ammo for it. .22s are just fine; many of us will be shooting them. (Me, for example!). Or bring the M44 if you want... [pot]

I would go but right now I have a bad foot and if I walk more than 20 feet my foot feels like its on fire[sad2][sad2] maybe next time.m44

There are those on this forum who cringe at the thought of shooting an M44.

With the M1 carbine, you can get one from the CMP for $419. It takes some paperwork but isn't hard. Start saving, it's one of the nicest shooters and most collectable rifles out there these days.

Well I dont belong to CMP certified orginization so I got to do that. Then as much as I like them I got my other guns to buy ammo for, and I already have my gun money I saved up for the last few months promised to the guy at one of my local shops. I am gonna save up for one but I still want to get a turkish gew88, a hex m91/30, a k98, and a lot more. So my plan is to put half of my money into saving up for a M1 carbine but 500.00 is a lot and as much as I am gonna try not to I might fall in love with something at the local shop and spend it. maybe my brother will loan me the money(not much of a chance), if I owed somebody the money I would probably pay it back faster.m44

I would go but right now I have a bad foot and if I walk more than 20 feet my foot feels like its on fire[sad2][sad2] maybe next time.m44
Ouch; that sucks. I've been dealing with foot problems for about 3+ years now, so I can really sympathize. There are more shoots scheduled in VT this summer and we're trying for NH as well. Go to www.appleseedinfo.org and check the schedule periodically.
Well I dont belong to CMP certified orginization so I got to do that.
Gee... whaddaya know? Appleseed IS a CMP-certified organization! Come to a shoot and we'll give you a certificate that will let you get that Garand and carbine. [smile]

I will have to see there is one other problem though you see on Saturday my parents go to church and on Sunday we usually get stuck cleaning barns (I live on a goat farm)

Well now all I got to do is save up a 1000.00 dollars go to one of your shoots and then I can get a M1 carbine and a M1 garand [smile][smile] .m44

Welcome to the obsession. I had to smile when you said you collected bayonets. Knife collecting was my passion before I got my LTC.

Happy hunting for milsurp.

I would go but right now I have a bad foot and if I walk more than 20 feet my foot feels like its on fire maybe next time.m44

Ouch; that sucks. I've been dealing with foot problems for about 3+ years now, so I can really sympathize. There are more shoots scheduled in VT this summer and we're trying for NH as well. Go to www.appleseedinfo.org and check the schedule periodically.

Gee... whaddaya know? Appleseed IS a CMP-certified organization! Come to a shoot and we'll give you a certificate that will let you get that Garand and carbine. [smile]

Yup, you'll have the certificate before you leave. Just remind me to take care of it for you.

You know, your foot bothering you shouldn't keep you from coming. We can work around that for you, if you want.

Yeah, I'll be there, I'm the "Shoot Boss" or Head Instructor, and an RWVA Senior Staff member to boot. THe HQ may be in North Carolina, but, we're all over the country.

If you don't make it, check the schedule, it changes, as we're always trying to add more of them. And anything in New England, or Eastern NY will get posted here, for sure.

As to using the M44, I don't recommend it. They're a flinch waiting to happen, but I could loan you a 91/30, M28 Finn or even an M24 Finn for the event.

For most of the course, you'll want a .22, like a Ruger 10/22 tricked out as an "LTR" (Liberty Training Rifle). I've got some loaners (6 of them), as do others, including our other local Instructors. Why? Ammo cost. Shoot all weekend for $12, unless you do some full distance event, like Jericho, VT, where we get out to 400 yards for AQT score, and to 600 yards just because we can.

Well I talked to my parents and they have no problem with me going on Sunday but they said that I could not go on Saturday because of church [frown] [crying]. And my brother works Sundays, so I cant go [frown][crying][angry]
and I dont think that I will be able to go next time either.m44

Guess I will have to find another CMP certified club

Back
Top Bottom