New member from Wayland

Hello all,

New guy checking in from Wayland here and looking to learn. I am just getting into firearms and looking to apply for my LTC-A ALP.

I am planning to attend next week's monthly membership meeting at the Wayland Rod and Gun club to join the organization, the location for me is a no-brainer... easily will be able to go shooting after work.

Then, I am signed up two weeks from today to take the required handgun course over in Framingham.

After that I intend to apply for ALP and sit back and hope/pray. Wayland is green so hopefully I will not receive any restrictions. Afterwards expect lots of questions about first gun purchases from me, please be patient :)

I'm also into motorcycles both street and roadracing (I race in the Loudon RoadRace Series up in NH) and am always looking for people to ride with.

-Christopher

New guy checking in from Wayland here and looking to learn. I am just getting into firearms and looking to apply for my LTC-A ALP.

I am planning to attend next week's monthly membership meeting at the Wayland Rod and Gun club to join the organization, the location for me is a no-brainer... easily will be able to go shooting after work.
Welcome. I look forward to speaking with you at the meeting.

After that I intend to apply for ALP and sit back and hope/pray. Wayland is green so hopefully I will not receive any restrictions. Afterwards expect lots of questions about first gun purchases from me, please be patient :)
Rumor has it that the chief is now requiring a letter describing why you want the license, but everyone still seems to be getting unrestricted LTC A.[/QUOTE]

Great, you are a member as well? It must be a fairly small org I imagine?

I have convinced a couple co-workers to do the course with me and will likely have them join the club as well so we can shoot together after work. They cannot attend this month's meeting though.
Rumor has it that the chief is now requiring a letter describing why you want the license, but everyone still seems to be getting unrestricted LTC A.
I was actually just about to ask about that... I noticed on the website it listed that requirement.

...besides taking the points from the form letter that I've seen posted around, does anyone have any suggestions?

It asks to write the latter for the purpose of stating WHY I need to carry... I'm not sure if I have a better reason than "for personal protection, as allowed by my RKBA"... is that sufficient or am I poking a hornet's nest?

Great, you are a member as well? It must be a fairly small org I imagine?
I'm the VP. Yes, we are pretty small. But don't worry about the club's interview process. The board has, sigh, clamped down on the enhanced interview techniques I used to use. Now I'm limited to the US Army interrogation manual.

...besides taking the points from the form letter that I've seen posted around, does anyone have any suggestions?

It asks to write the latter for the purpose of stating WHY I need to carry... I'm not sure if I have a better reason than "for personal protection, as allowed by my RKBA"... is that sufficient or am I poking a hornet's nest?
I would recommend against saying anything about RKBA. If the chief really believed in that, then he wouldn't be asking for a letter, and your letter isn't going to convert him. So don't go there.

As for suggestions, I'd try to come up with something about why you might be at greater risk than the average bear.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the board ceo012384

Look forward to you joining in the discussions.

Hello all,

Then, I am signed up two weeks from today to take the required handgun course over in Framingham.

I'm also into motorcycles both street and roadracing (I race in the Loudon RoadRace Series up in NH) and am always looking for people to ride with.

-Christopher

I grew up in Wayland. The first 8 years I had my LTC (73-81) I was living there and had no problem getting it. You should be good to go.

I'm the VP. Yes, we are pretty small. But don't worry about the club's interview process. The board has, sigh, clamped down on the enhanced interview techniques I used to use. Now I'm limited to the US Army interrogation manual.
[laugh2]Well then, that's kid stuff
I would recommend against saying anything about RKBA. If the chief really believed in that, then he wouldn't be asking for a letter, and your letter isn't going to convert him. So don't go there.

As for suggestions, I'd try to come up with something about why you might be at greater risk than the average bear.
I guess that makes sense. I just don't feel like I should have to make excuses, but I guess that's the way it is here...

Maybe I'll pick your brain at the meeting about some of my reasons (which I do believe are legitimate) beyond the simple "you never know what could happen on the way to the store..."
I grew up in Wayland. The first 8 years I had my LTC (73-81) I was living there and had no problem getting it. You should be good to go.
Whereabouts? I'm on the pond and my folks are business owners in town...

Thanks for the welcome, everyone [cheers]

Maybe I'll pick your brain at the meeting about some of my reasons (which I do believe are legitimate) beyond the simple "you never know what could happen on the way to the store..."

Reason:
For all Lawful purposes

Keep it simple

I guess that makes sense. I just don't feel like I should have to make excuses, but I guess that's the way it is here...
I agree, we shouldn't have to. Unrestricted licenses should be shall issue. But they aren't and the chief wants the letter.

A good tact in a letter is to make it clear that you need the license to do anything with a firearm.

Something like:

"Because the need for a license in Massachusetts covers just about any activity that I might engage in now or the future, I am asking for a class A unrestricted license so that I may enjoy all lawful activities in which I might wish to participate."

Thanks for the tip Chris.

It should be issued without restriction but I don't want to say anything in my letter that rubs the LO in the wrong way and causes him to slap me with a target and hunting, so I figured I would ask for tips.
Is this the same Chris from NESR???
Hey Billy... yes it is.

The interwebz can be such a small world sometimes, LOL.
Or maybe it's that the same type of people who like sport bikes and racing, are also the type of people who tend to like firearms [wink]

Or sort of like when we realized that like half of us racers were in the engineering fields? lol

Hello all,

-Christopher

Welcome and good luck with the LTC!

Whereabouts? I'm on the pond and my folks are business owners in town...

I grew up on Dudley (Lake Shore drive, low number end, opposite of the Chat) I lived there from 1955 to 1979. WHS class of 70
I don't get back there much anymore since my Mom passed, but she lived there right up until 2006

Welcome and good luck with the LTC!
Welcome!!
Thanks!
I grew up on Dudley (Lake Shore drive, low number end, opposite of the Chat) I lived there from 1955 to 1979. WHS class of 70
I don't get back there much anymore since my Mom passed, but she lived there right up until 2006
Small world... I am on Lakeshore as well

In fact me and a few buddies played cards at the chat last night... it has 'charm' [rofl]

Welcome to the world of NES. I am a Wayland R&G member and resident too. I also get to the Chat every so often. I look forward to meeting you at the meeting. Be ready for the 1911 interogation. Then the waterboarding from the general membership It is awful. [wink]

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of NES. I am a Wayland R&G member and resident too. I also get to the Chat every so often. I look forward to meeting you at the meeting. Be ready for the 1911 interogation. Then the waterboarding from the general membership It is awful. [wink]
Pssh, I bet you're a bunch of teddy bears...

But I'll bring my swimming goggles and snorkel ;)

Hey, ceo and a bunch of numbers, Im over at NESR too...

I just got my class A LTC and hopefully will be buying a target pistol and something for home protection soon. Im sure Im going to have all the same questions you will over here..Good luck on the license!

Hey, ceo and a bunch of numbers, Im over at NESR too...

I just got my class A LTC and hopefully will be buying a target pistol and something for home protection soon. Im sure Im going to have all the same questions you will over here..Good luck on the license!
Hey! Nice... we'll have to do a "ride 'n shoot" when I get mine.... but not at the same time obviously ;)
What is NESR?
It's the local motorcycle forum... supposedly geared towards street riders but most of us on there do track days and/or race as well.
Welcome Christopher! Good luck with the LTC.
Welcome to the forum, Chris! [cheers]
Welcome Christopher!
Thanks guys!! Sheesh, why does the public think gun owners are scary again??? [bs1]

Back
Top Bottom