New gun legislation on the hill. Similar to new york's

Last night I dropped the bomb on my GF of 15 years. If this passes the house is going on the market and I'm moving to NH. I hope she comes with, but if she doesn't it will not alter my plan... I'm gone either way... She was not happy. But I told her listen. I'm not going to work 20 out of 40 hours a week to feed the government beast AND lose my natural rights at the same time. A line has been crossed and I'm becoming a refugee fleeing this commie shit hole for NH or ME. I chose those states because we're still close to her family here in MA. IF she chooses not to come then I'll be looking at SC, WY, TX, AZ, as possibilities.

I'm taking my money, and my skills, and my talent and I'm leaving this god forsaken commie shit hole - leaving it to collapse upon itself.

+1

I told my girlfriend the same thing. Pretty similar reaction, and she isn't willing to move yet because she wants to get more experience at her current job (only one year out of college).

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me to voice your concerns regarding legislation I am filing this legislative session to reduce gun violence in Massachusetts.

I always appreciate hearing from constituents, particularly on matters that are important to you. For over thirty years, I have been an advocate for measures to reduce gun violence in Massachusetts. Through my experience as an Assistant District Attorney in the Middlesex County District Attorney’s office, as a state legislator for 14 years, and as a parent to three children, I have become familiar with loopholes in our gun control laws that have lead to preventable gun violence in our cities and towns.

On January 3rd, I hosted a strategy meeting at the State House for members of the legislature to discuss legislation to prevent gun violence in the Commonwealth. Over 150 legislators and staff attended the meeting. Many of the legislators that attended the meeting are also gun owners, military personnel, educators, and parents. Since the January 3rd*meeting I have met with law enforcement officials, Jim Wallace of the Gun Owners Action League, the Secretary of the Executive Office of Public Safety, and other interested parties to ensure a reasonable bill is filed that continues to protect an individual’s right to own a gun in Massachusetts. Additionally I have corresponded with hundreds of constituents and concerned citizens across the Commonwealth on a wide range of topics relating to gun control in Massachusetts. Please know that these conversations have not gone unheard, and have directly influenced pieces of the legislation I am filing this session.

Please know that I will continue to keep your thoughts and concerns in mind as this bill proceeds through the legislative process this session. Any bill petitioned through the Massachusetts legislature undergoes a comprehensive legislative process before reaching the Governor’s desk to be signed. Before any legislation is considered, a public hearing is held, in addition to careful examination of the legislation by relevant committees at the State House. Should this legislation come before the House floor for debate this session, I will keep your valuable opinions in mind.

Again, thank you for your correspondence on this very important matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of additional assistance to you in the future.

Sincerely,

David P. Linsky

State Representative

Fifth Middlesex District

Well if they say 7 round limit I wonder if it's becuase they think they can get rid of semi-auto handguns that way?

This is EXACTLY right. They are pretty much disarming us by means of attrition and relentless unconstitutional legislation. The manufactur's already had to neuter MA compliant guns to hold 10 rounds. If this bill passes, we will NOT be able to purchase pretty much any NEW mid-full sized semi's. We will be left with revolvers, small 380's and subcompact 9mm's because there simply won't be any 7 round magazines out there for us lowly folks in MA and NY. This is just the beginning, wait until Linsky's bill hits the Hill. That POS sounds devastating.

Thanks this is exactly the information I need. The people I have been talking with mostly anti-gun, but also don't trust politicians to spoon feed them. This will give me an explanation about the 10 to 7 debate and what it means relevant to a cloaked erosion of our constitutional rights.

These are mostly people who may not really care for guns, but the are still talking and listening rather than arguing and dismissing the conversation. I think that is a good thing. This info will help me support my position that we need to regulate our politicians much more than our politicians need to regulate us. I think this may serve as an example that will personalise this for them and not just be a conversation about guns. THANKS!!!!!

I spoke with three other gun owners today about this stuff and they had NO IDEA! That is the problem, people don't know. We (NES) know but we need the others to know. We need to get the media to present some of this stuff not as "protecting the kids" but as "stripping the rights from people". We need to make it not about guns, but about liberties we should have as Americans and law-abiding citizens.

The fact that the government wants to take something you own legally, and have never used in any inappropriate manner, and tell you to get rid of it or become a felon is as bad as it can get. Whats next?

Everyone should be able to relate to this, we just need to work on some good examples and get it out.

It was sad when it was pushed through in NY. People didn't have the chance to fight it because they were being scumbags to sneak it in. We have the chance, for now, so do something. Make sure your local gun shops are putting up signs. All the ranges should be notifying members. Then start talking to your neighbors, friends, your friends friends, your kids, your kids friends parents. There will be pushback from some for sure, but we have to try before its too late.

And for those that think moving is the answer, I don't think it will help. This is spreading like a cancer and the country on a whole is inviting it. NH is not as free as it once one, and although it is WAY better than MA now how long will that hold true? Unless you all want to live in Texas when then break away as it's own country you need to fight.

I spoke with three other gun owners today about this stuff and they had NO IDEA! That is the problem, people don't know. We (NES) know but we need the others to know. We need to get the media to present some of this stuff not as "protecting the kids" but as "stripping the rights from people". We need to make it not about guns, but about liberties we should have as Americans and law-abiding citizens.

The fact that the government wants to take something you own legally, and have never used in any inappropriate manner, and tell you to get rid of it or become a felon is as bad as it can get. Whats next?

Everyone should be able to relate to this, we just need to work on some good examples and get it out.

It was sad when it was pushed through in NY. People didn't have the chance to fight it because they were being scumbags to sneak it in. We have the chance, for now, so do something. Make sure your local gun shops are putting up signs. All the ranges should be notifying members. Then start talking to your neighbors, friends, your friends friends, your kids, your kids friends parents. There will be pushback from some for sure, but we have to try before its too late.

And for those that think moving is the answer, I don't think it will help. This is spreading like a cancer and the country on a whole is inviting it. NH is not as free as it once one, and although it is WAY better than MA now how long will that hold true? Unless you all want to live in Texas when then break away as it's own country you need to fight.

Ever hear of strategic retreat? I'm of the mind that if we DO relocate and others do the same - those states we relocate to become the firewall to stop the encroachment. Here our voices are drowned and ignored. In NH, ME, TX, AZ, WY, MT, SC, etc. politicians listen because there are enough voices.

I've fought here nearly my entire life. If this passes I will have lost just about every battle. At some point enough it enough...

I've been on the phone today with the Offices of several State Senators and Reps. I had written notes with several talking points and had detailed conversation with all of them, 1 call lasted 25 minutes! Please call, it does make a difference! Also, my Rep. put me on the email list for notification for any hearing that may come up regarding this proposed legislation.

Ever hear of strategic retreat? I'm of the mind that if we DO relocate and others do the same - those states we relocate to become the firewall to stop the encroachment. Here our voices are drowned and ignored. In NH, ME, TX, AZ, WY, MT, SC, etc. politicians listen because there are enough voices.

I've fought here nearly my entire life. If this passes I will have lost just about every battle. At some point enough it enough...

I lived in NH for 22 years. I moved here thinking it would serve myself and my kids better. We're now looking in NH for homes....we can't get out of this shithole fast enough.

It's apparent that trying to talk to these politicians is wasting energy and time. They're no longer interested in "real", they're only interested in validating their paycheck in the least valuable way possible: creation of illegal laws that the sheep think are good for them. And sadly, those laws pass in this state, because that's what the sheep want.

You may call me a chicken by running away, but at least I'll run away and be free. I will not be some monkey's slave...

I can't stand the fact they always exempt police (duty or retired), it pisses me off. Police are civilians in my book. Not to mention if they didn't there would be so much more of a push agaisnt b.s. like this.

I just got off the phone with Rep McMurtry's (D) office. He was busy filing other misc legislations (that ends tomorrow) but I had a good chat with his secretary. She said they've had over 60 calls today about the "Gov's bill". She said they would be putting out a statement. But, it didn't not sound like he was in favor of this bill.

CALL YOUR REPS!! (it made me feel better)

-JR

I can't stand the fact they always exempt police (duty or retired), it pisses me off. Police are civilians in my book. Not to mention if they didn't there would be so much more of a push agaisnt b.s. like this.

Unless I missed something there is no Police exemption to the High cap mag ban. (must be sold or disposed of provision)

Unless I missed something there is no Police exemption to the High cap mag ban. (must be sold or disposed of provision)

Actually under Section 21 there may be an exemption. But I was looking more at Section 25. But the Section 21 exemption may include Section 25? A lawyer needs to look at this stuff, my head hurts.

Just heard back from my email & voice mail to Rep. Kate Hogan's office. She is not supporting the legislation as it currently stands.

First post.

I've been lurking for a while, but have been trying to do my part by contacting my reps. I've sent multiple letters to both our state and federal representiatives.

My state senator is Eileen Donoghue, and my state Representative is Sheila Harrington.

Here's the response I got from Sen. Donoghue on January 4th.

Dear Mr. Twisty,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding gun control measures. I appreciate you contacting my office regarding this particular matter and sharing your concerns with me.
In light of the tragedy in Newtown, we all share a common goal of ensuring that something like this never happens again. As my colleagues and I begin preparing legislation for the upcoming session, we will be taking a close look at gun control and mental health issues in order to determine the steps we must take to prevent further tragedies. Massachusetts has some of the strictest laws relating to guns in the nation, and the majority of our gun owners carefully follow the law. Whatever legislation comes forward this session needs to make sure we do not punish our law-abiding gun owners.
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office at (617) 722-1630.

And here's the response from Rep. Harrington on January 9th.

Dear Mr. Twisty,

Thank you for contacting my Beacon Hill office. I commend you for being an engaged responsible citizen who reaches out to their elected officials about issues that are important to you.
As a Republican, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment rights of my constituents. The right to bear arms is enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, and law-abiding citizens should continue to be able to exercise this freedom. Before making any specific decisions on gun control measures in the state, the Republican caucus will order a study on connections between gun violence, mental health, and access to military-grade weaponry. After collecting this data, we will address the issue with practical, common-sense reforms that will simultaneously protect the rights of gun owners, while solving a crucial public safety problem. What happened in Newtown, Connecticut could happen anywhere, and I do believe the government has a role in protecting citizens from criminals and others who should not have access to firearms.
If you have additional information or opinion to add on this issue, please email me with the additional information or call and speak to my legislative aide, Kaitlyn Hyslip, who is available in my State House office at 617-722-2305.
Again, I thank you for your comments and concerns.

Sincerely,

Sheila C. Harrington
State Representative
1st Middlesex District

I find these responses to be mostly reasonable with exception of Rep. Harrington's comment on "military-grade weaponry." I just sent each of them a letter regarding the new legislation by Gov. Patrick, and will be composing another letter about Linsky's proposals.

FYI, Rep. Harrington has an "A" grade with GOAL, and Sen. Donoghue has a "NR" rating.

First post.

I've been lurking for a while, but have been trying to do my part by contacting my reps. I've sent multiple letters to both our state and federal representiatives.

My state senator is Eileen Donoghue, and my state Representative is Sheila Harrington.

Here's the response I got from Sen. Donoghue on January 4th.

And here's the response from Rep. Harrington on January 9th.

I find these responses to be mostly reasonable with exception of Rep. Harrington's comment on "military-grade weaponry." I just sent each of them a letter regarding the new legislation by Gov. Patrick, and will be composing another letter about Linsky's proposals.

FYI, Rep. Harrington has an "A" grade with GOAL, and Sen. Donoghue has a "NR" rating.

Harrington will get in line behind Bradley Jones, Jr. and George Peterson.

We need to focus on the "D" fence sitters blowing in the wind, the Republicans are not really our concern given the conversations I've had with the party leaders. However, we should still contact them and show them our support.

I just cled Sen. Rush and Rep. Rogers. The staff people indicated that they have a few calls on this. Rogers' staff person indicated that he was not in support of the grandfather or 7 rounds but might support the background and mental health issues.

Make sure to hammer the grandfather and the 10 round mag but you can only load 7 as these are the most unreasonable. Unfortunetly, I think the 1 gun may have to be offered up... :(

I am sending a letter as well.

CALL YOUR REP AND SENATOR NOW!!!

The insurance provision is going to be a killer :( it's going to very, very expensive and the cops are going to be coming out to houses and inspecting guns and safe. F'n unreal

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, if someone steals my guns, why the f*** I liable! It makes zero sense

When is this going to be voted on?

I'm having a whole bunch of trouble figuring out when this is going up for vote, or what the current status is. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm a new guy here but have been an active shooter for 60 yrs. I'm on the Board of Directors of a fairly large sportsman's club. That said as a bona fide, There is no part of this proposed law that should not be questioned. The laundry list on Linsky's legislation contains over 1000 laws or sections including 25% sales tax on ammo and firearms,Broader powers to the Chief of police,Ban on assault weapons,magazine restrictions, And a huge scope of laws that would make criminals out of law abiding gun owners.We ALL should be ringing the phone off the hook and filling e-mail boxes of ALL legislators in Boston to let them know RESPECTFULLY that we do not want this legislation passed. Make it known RESPECTFULLY that you will vote according to their stance on this issue. The war drums are beating in Boston and we must stand united or we will fall as NY has fallen. Hagrid

How do we defeat linskys bill? Its horrible and it has to go. I have a bad feeling that this wil pass with so many dems in office.

I received this reply to my e-mail:

Dear Mr. ------,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding gun control and related concerns. This is a very difficult issue in which to have civil discourse and I appreciate your analysis and your intention to develop the best possible laws and policies for all.

Numbers show that the policies we have in place in the Commonwealth have resulted in a significant reduction in gun-related deaths. That being said, we must always be open to sound measures that reduce these tragedies. What we do not need are policies which principally punish and harass citizens who are exercising their Second Amendment right to own a lethal weapon. While these measures play well to certain audiences, they do not reduce gun violence in our communities.

Therefore, I believe the following should be considered as we move forward in the debate on this important topic:

First, we should elicit the cooperation of our professional health care and mental health community to report those individuals which they believe have the potential of harming themselves or others to a central registry for the purpose of granting or suspending one’s license to possess weapons on a temporary or long term basis. Evaluations should be updated as denying a license to those suffering from temporary illness is not an aim of legislation. I have proposed legislation to affect this measure.

At the Federal level, I favor that background checks be universally required for those that buy or otherwise receive a firearm from another.

The Commonwealth should fully utilize national data bases to screen our license applicants for previous convictions or reports of mental illness which would make them ineligible for a gun license. Presently, we do not access all the sources of information available to us.

Most importantly, we must insist that the federal and state laws which we already have on the books are enforced. Mayor Bloomberg of New York recently pointed out that only 44 of 77,000, a statistically miniscule amount of the attempts by felons to illegally purchase firearms reported to the Justice Department by the FBI in 2010 were prosecuted. Even generously allowing that only 20%, one in five of these felonies should have been prosecuted, one has to wonder what effect the prosecution of 19,000 felons attempting to buy guns would have had on our nation’s annual 11,000 other person homicide rate. Enforcement of our current laws shall yield far more positive result than the creation of new ones.

I hope that you find this correspondence helpful in terms of clarifying my current thoughts on this challenging discussion. Again, thank you for taking the time to present your concerns and thoughts. They are very important to me and provide balance to those of many special interest groups.

Most Sincerely,

Linda Dean Campbell
State Representative
15th Essex District

Last edited:
Does anybody know the status on this piece of legislature? I would really hate to see this pass, and have happen what happened to NY, to MA residents.

Massachusetts: Governor Wants to Personally Victimize Law-Abiding Gun Owners

"Massachusetts: Governor Wants to Personally Victimize Law-Abiding Gun Owners"

"Governor Deval Patrick (D) and anti-gun legislators in the Massachusetts General Court have wasted no time this legislative session trying to victimize and disarm law-abiding residents of the Bay State.

Shortly over a week ago, Governor Patrick filed legislation entitled “An Act to Strengthen and Enhance Firearms Laws in the Commonwealth” and has been aggressively lobbying the state legislature to take action on his restrictive proposal."

"If this legislation is passed and enacted into law, the following changes will occur to Massachusetts’ already restrictive gun laws:

• • You will be forced to sell or lawfully dispose of any magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds.
  • • You will be limited to seven round magazines.
  • • You will only be able to purchase one firearm a month.
  • • You will be subject to a background check and a fee (gun tax) for the private transfer of firearmsbetween family and friends.

You need to contact your state legislators TODAY and express your opposition to Governor Patrick’s bill and any proposed legislation that would infringe upon your Right to Keep and Bear Arms."

Tell them politely you OPPOSE any new laws & regulations on any Gun Control! (add new taxes to that as well if you want)..

For help identifying your elected state officials and their contact information, please click here.

Governor Patrick can be reached at: 617-725-4005 (just leave a message if they won't answer) or by using on on-line contact form by clicking here. "

Do Not accept boiler plate replies (if you do get a reply), if they don't reply back to you keep calling & emailing them!

Defend your 2nd amendment rights. Don't let these liberal hacks take it away. They will not stop just at this !!!

MA Constitution XVII.-(17) -The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defence. And as in time of peace armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it. Fundamental Documents: Massachusetts Constitution

Important: Write up your thoughts & list of oppositions to present ahead of time! Do not try by memory!

US AG Eric Holder Says No Guns Need To Brainwash YouTube Video:
Holder Says People Need to be Brainwashed - YouTube

You should also use Ruger's Gun Owner Call to Action Fast Form letter & State link it's all automated so lets get it going : Ruger - Take Action Now!Everybody keep calling, demand to speak to someone or get a call back, emails are not as good as a letter & mail,
encourage all your friends to get on board, it does not matter if they have a firearm or not, this is about losing Rights!

This is about CONTROL! No law can stop evil!

[video]http://blip.tv/play/hZ0BgoegfwI.html?p=1[/video]

or
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/innocents-betrayed/

The following video from many years ago titled “A Daughter’s Regret” shows the testimony of Suzanna Gratia Hupp whose parents were killed when a madman opened fire in a Texas cafeteria. It is a powerful reminder of how essential it is to protect the Second Amendment, not for duck hunting, as she points out, but to protect our loved ones from maniacs … and a government that would put us in such a vulnerable position.

2nd Amendment: TX Massacre Tragedy might have been averted -

We need more jails, strong & increased & full sentences for violent offenders!

We need to nag & push these liberals / control freaks / nanny's before we are totally disarmed!

In my opinion the NRA & GOAL are not doing enough....

Some other good associations: GOA , 2ndAMD , itstime2a , comm2a.org , BuckeyeFirearms ,
SAF , etc, get involved. (please add to the list)

"
What is the purpose of limiting the number of rounds in a firearm’s magazine owned by a peaceable gun-owner, when criminals will be able to load as many rounds as he/she wishes into magazines of guns declared “illegal” by the government?

How will preventing the types of guns a peaceable American citizen can own change the outcome of the actions of an evil person bent on harm and destruction and the commission of despicable acts?

What kind of “logic” is involved in such “reasoning” by the anti-gun extremists?

There is no logic in such restrictions, and because of this, their true intent–the disarming of peaceable Americans–is indisputably revealed!"

FYI: The Police do not have a duty to protect you!
It has been established that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular citizen (e.g. Warren vs.District of Columbia).

We cannot let the politicians discard the Constitution and control us. It is our duty to control them.
" ... a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. ... " - Common Sense 1776

FYI: They are looking to jack us up to make their case! Never, ever take an offense always be prepared for defense!

Peace & God Speed

Semper Fi

Tags: Disarmament|Gun Bans|Gun Taxes|High Capacity Magazines|Massachusetts|NRA-ILA| GOAL| Rights| 2nd Amendment

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom