• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Glock 17: Zev Technologies or Salient Arms?

Salient Arms or Zev Technologies

• Salient Arms International

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Zev Technologies

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This. I wouldn't even **** with the trigger. Shoot the gun as it is, get proficient with the stock trigger and move on. My carry G19 has a set of Straight 8 sights on it, and that is it. Over the years I have found that the more I **** with something, the more of a chance it will **** up. Stock Glocks are fine the way they are once you decide what kind of sights you like.

My night stand G17 is getting the same sights and an ICE mag well, otherwise it is staying stock as well.

Pretty much. I haven't done anything to my Glocks but polish all the internals.

so much hostility on this thread. Hey man don't listen to a single person unless they've shot a salient. I'm a highly trained shooter and know what I'm talking about. I also happen to be financially secure so buying anything I want is how I roll. I will gladly let you shoot my Salient or Agency anytime. I'm a member at Worcester Pistol & Rifle. Just PM me if you want to take me up on it

I'm of neither camp, I personally think the Zev/Salients look nice but as far as reliability and functionality, like i mentioned above, I'm not sold. I've contemplated having Zev do up a 34 for me but i refuse to allow myself, not because of price, but because, as a highly untrained shooter, i have the humility to recognize that i have far more to get out of myself with a stock glock before i say "ok, my skill level is above this gun, its time to **** with it." Trust me, I've traveled the path of spending big dollars on guns and gear, in the end, what it all comes down to is the guy behind it. You kind of come off as a braggadocios douche in this post, but ill give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you can back it up when some guy with a stock G19, hours of basement dryfire practice, and a modest attitude shows up at your next event/competition. The dollar value of your gun isn't what defines the skill level behind it, I in some ways learned this the hard way. But in the end result i think it made me a better shooter as a whole.

Do you Frog Lube and Rocktape?

#fierclean and #railbungies for followers bro

I think you're in the wrong forum here, that sounds like it belongs in the "bondage" section...

Triple-whammy, all three products in one operational sales ad.

costa-slide-2014.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate all the opinions on honing your craft before cannibalizing your gun...Rgr on all, SUPER loud and clear. That said, who cares what I do to MY gun or what anybody does to theirs? If you perceive me as a douche for having a gun modified the way I want it modified...Im sorry- your mother didn't love you enough, or maybe too much..I don't know- I have never seen the problem. I like shooting, I like working on my guns- it is enjoyable. Leave me alone.

Also, I disagree with the whole Salient arms/ Zev/ other companies came in to cater to the Tinfoil hat brigade or whatever that post was about..I saw "Obama" and kept scrolling...[rolleyes]

Disagree all you want but the facts remain- Most of these companies came out post-Obamascare. There's a good reason for this... it's because the sharks smelled the, new, fresh blood in the water, a breed of gun owners so stupid and gullible that there was much salivating done at the possibilities. This was an entire field of people with obvious interest but lacking in the intellectual depth and skepticism that used to accompany many gun enthusiasts. Thus, it was like shooting fish in a barrel, or the field of dreams for the guys that own those companies... "If you make it, they will buy it"

Companies that offer enhancements do so to take a great platform and make it even better or at least cater that "frame" to a certain sport or function. Look at Wilson, for God's sake and what they did to the 92FS with the Brigadier- er wait, the 1911 in general!!!

Wilson's 1911s aren't taking someone else's gun and building off it, it's a full in house 1911. Big difference between what they and these others are doing. Not to mention a 1911 isn't really a gun catered to mass production.... so all Wilson really did was taking a platform that was a dumpster fire and put a lot of attention and care into building their product. There's also a big difference between building a racegun for competition and trying to tell people that their stock Glock isn't good enough to shoot bad guys with (which is basically what Salient does, more or less. ) Apples vs Durian comparison, imho. Bringing a Wilson 1911 into this is like trying to compare an Audi to a Honda Civic.

You can't tell me that Zev and or Salient have not added to the popularity of this often taboo obsession we all have of collecting guns through the proliferation of competitions and such...

There were tons of people collecting guns and shooting in competitions long before either of those two companies have come along. All these guys have done is come along and scoop up some of the cash being thrown around by new gullible folks, who "thought they needed something cuz it looked cool" or some "public tactical dynamic critical pooping incident" type of instructor got paid to hawk it, and had a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket. I will give them a lot of credit... they smelled that the density of fools increased dramatically and capitalized on it. Kudos to them from a business perspective. It takes a certain amount of savvy to have like, $600-700 worth of parts and sell it for 4 times as much and still have the buyer be mostly happy. Look at all the other crap poured onto the market, sliderlock, saf-4-block, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Would I want one of those guns? As a curiosity, Sure... maybe for $1000 complete. Assuming I could test fire it beforehand to make sure it wasn't a piece of shit. That's about all its actually worth. The Glock is supposed to be a pig. Don't try to apply lipstick to it, it's not going to work and its probably going to make the pig upset.

You're gonna spend your money however you want, however, I have to say... you must have started this thread for some reason- perhaps because you had a shred of doubt internally, that possibly buying one of these thing is a bad idea.... If you were confident about the product you would have just gone out and bought it without starting this thread. ponder that for a minute.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you're looking for a bunch of people to perform a "product validation rally with drum circle" with you on something you're thinking about buying, you're gonna find there's a lot of skeptics hanging around here. (and btw, I might seem like an *******, but my curmudgeon and skeptic level is about a 3 or 4 around here.... I'm a lightweight by NES standards) Then on top of it when you come back and start telling us our opinions suck (that you asked for) it leads some of the more skeptical members to question your motives- and that it's not really a serious inquiry, but possibly rather some kind of call for attention. (You can thank me later, now that I've forestalled someone else from using this jump to conclusion mat on you. )

Also ponder the fact that you can own 2 "normal" glocks, do a few (basic) mods as others have outlined here, and have a bunch of mags and spare parts, and be way ahead of the game for what you would have spent on one Salient gun. Worth thinking about, IMHO. It's a head scratcher for sure.

NSFW:

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Disagree all you want but the facts remain- Most of these companies came out post-Obamascare. There's a good reason for this... it's because the sharks smelled the, new, fresh blood in the water, a breed of gun owners so stupid and gullible that there was much salivating done at the possibilities. This was an entire field of people with obvious interest but lacking in the intellectual depth and skepticism that used to accompany many gun enthusiasts. Thus, it was like shooting fish in a barrel, or the field of dreams for the guys that own those companies... "If you make it, they will buy it"

Wilson's 1911s aren't taking someone else's gun and building off it, it's a full in house 1911. Big difference between what they and these others are doing. Not to mention a 1911 isn't really a gun catered to mass production.... so all Wilson really did was taking a platform that was a dumpster fire and put a lot of attention and care into building their product. There's also a big difference between building a racegun for competition and trying to tell people that their stock Glock isn't good enough to shoot bad guys with (which is basically what Salient does, more or less. ) Apples vs Durian comparison, imho. Bringing a Wilson 1911 into this is like trying to compare an Audi to a Honda Civic.

There were tons of people collecting guns and shooting in competitions long before either of those two companies have come along. All these guys have done is come along and scoop up some of the cash being thrown around by new gullible folks, who "thought they needed something cuz it looked cool" or some "public tactical dynamic critical pooping incident" type of instructor got paid to hawk it, and had a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket. I will give them a lot of credit... they smelled that the density of fools increased dramatically and capitalized on it. Kudos to them from a business perspective. It takes a certain amount of savvy to have like, $600-700 worth of parts and sell it for 4 times as much and still have the buyer be mostly happy. Look at all the other crap poured onto the market, sliderlock, saf-4-block, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Would I want one of those guns? As a curiosity, Sure... maybe for $1000 complete. Assuming I could test fire it beforehand to make sure it wasn't a piece of shit. That's about all its actually worth. The Glock is supposed to be a pig. Don't try to apply lipstick to it, it's not going to work and its probably going to make the pig upset.

You're gonna spend your money however you want, however, I have to say... you must have started this thread for some reason- perhaps because you had a shred of doubt internally, that possibly buying one of these thing is a bad idea.... If you were confident about the product you would have just gone out and bought it without starting this thread. ponder that for a minute.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you're looking for a bunch of people to perform a "product validation rally with drum circle" with you on something you're thinking about buying, you're gonna find there's a lot of skeptics hanging around here. (and btw, I might seem like an *******, but my curmudgeon and skeptic level is about a 3 or 4 around here.... I'm a lightweight by NES standards) Then on top of it when you come back and start telling us our opinions suck (that you asked for) it leads some of the more skeptical members to question your motives- and that it's not really a serious inquiry, but possibly rather some kind of call for attention. (You can thank me later, now that I've forestalled someone else from using this jump to conclusion mat on you. )

Also ponder the fact that you can own 2 "normal" glocks, do a few (basic) mods as others have outlined here, and have a bunch of mags and spare parts, and be way ahead of the game for what you would have spent on one Salient gun. Worth thinking about, IMHO. It's a head scratcher for sure.

NSFW:

-Mike

Mike, sorry you had to type all of that! Ok, I give up! I am not trying to be a whiny bi*$# about any of this! I honestly wanted to know people's experience with Zev and Salient (I even did one of those super high speed/low drag voting things) since those companies are popular and seem to make some nice stuff. I did NOT mean for this to turn into a "purist vs. custom" argument where people weighed in saying how the way they do things and spend their money is "holier than thou." After reading the responses from this thread, you would think the subject was... "Am I a douche if I put $2300 worth of rainbow colored barrels and ported slides with dual RMR's on my Glock? If so, why? What would you do differently?"

Again, sorry you had to type that long response..I will lurk back into the shadows from which I came.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, sorry you had to type all of that! Ok, I give up! I am not trying to be a whiny bi*$# about any of this! I honestly wanted to know people's experience with Zev and Salient (I even did one of those super high speed/low drag voting things) since those companies are popular and seem to make some nice stuff. I did NOT mean for this to turn into a "purist vs. custom" argument where people weighed in saying how the way they do things and spend their money is "holier than thou." After reading the responses from this thread, you would think the subject was... "Am I a douche if I put $2300 worth of rainbow colored barrels and ported slides with dual RMR's on my Glock? If so, why? What would you do differently?"

Again, sorry you had to type that long response..I will lurk back into the shadows from which I came.

No lurking required bro. I don't think this is a purist vs custom thing at all. I think that it is, is when someone comes on here asking such things, it means they have doubt; and they want to insulate themselves from getting taken, etc. That kind of thing. So the base comes out here thinking "Well, if you're trying to be smart about it, then don't do this" trying to save people from themselves. (like the poor bastards that occasionally try to buy Para/Taurus 1911s and so forth, although Salient product is obviously not that bad) The problem is most of us have been through this sort of "going full retard on anything that looks cool" phase where we thought buying impractical crap was cool, then about 10 years later we realize "Oh shit if I had a time machine I could have skipped this this and this, and saved a lot of money" Some of us are just trying to save folks from falling into the same well.

I guess my point is, if you really want one of these things, and the money doesn't matter, just go do it. [laugh] I guarantee you if you posted a video review or a writeup of how the thing worked, with a picture of a target or something, then nobody would question your motives. It'd be like "Hey some guy actually bought one of those things! Is it really worth $2500?" etc.

-Mike

Last edited:
No lurking required bro. I don't think this is a purist vs custom thing at all. I think that it is, is when someone comes on here asking such things, it means they have doubt; and they want to insulate themselves from getting taken, etc. That kind of thing. So the base comes out here thinking "Well, if you're trying to be smart about it, then don't do this" trying to save people from themselves. (like the poor bastards that occasionally try to buy Para/Taurus 1911s and so forth, although Salient product is obviously not that bad) The problem is most of us have been through this sort of "going full retard on anything that looks cool" phase where we thought buying impractical crap was cool, then about 10 years later we realize "Oh shit if I had a time machine I could have skipped this this and this, and saved a lot of money" Some of us are just trying to save folks from falling into the same well.

I guess my point is, if you really want one of these things, and the money doesn't matter, just go do it. [laugh] I guarantee you if you posted a video review or a writeup of how the thing worked, with a picture of a target or something, then nobody would question your motives. It'd be like "Hey some guy actually bought one of those things! Is it really worth $2500?" etc.

-Mike

Mike, I appreciate your view/experience on this. I am absolutely not buying a $2500 Glock... I also do not have doubt about modifying my 17 to make it how I want it. My purpose with this thread was to list the potential things I was looking at putting on or had considered, and getting input from those that have experience with the products from the two companies listed. And it has paid off- I got a lot from this thread (on the first couple pages) in that it got me thinking about the cost/benefit of going with particular modifications from individuals that have experience with said modifications...I wasn't looking for the old "buy ammo, go to the range and practice" advice- my data call was brand specific.

Again, sorry you had to type a short story.

-Dan

As previously stated, "enhancements" make a base gun better suited for certain applications. You certainly do not see KC Eusebio rolling around the ground with his stock Glock...

KC's glock didn't run, that's why he didn't shoot for them anymore

Look at TTI, I shot a G17 that has a nice deep trigger guard undercut, great stippling and grip mod. It wasn't totally objectionable to shoot, like most glocks

Last edited:
I send out my Glocks to get HEAVIER springs and triggers put in. You don't really operate unless you're also doing a forearm workout WHILE you shoot. Amateurs... ;)

This thread... Is probably the best I've read in a long time.

With references to rock tape, frog lube, Snackbar combining all three with the reference to Salient and Costa, and pages ago... A reference to "nickel plated sissy pistol" (great reference btw)...

I've been smiling the whole time. That is all.

Continue discussing...

Yup. Stock is fine for most anything you'll do in a class.

DH 50 yards: http://youtu.be/pzGGOl61_MQ

Thats a great video.

Was your internal mantra "front sight front sight front sight, squuuueeeeeeeeezzzzzeeeeee the trigger".

By the way. I once watched Dave Sevigny win a match with a Glock he was given 5 minutes before the shooters meeting.
Fancy stuff gets you a couple of percent improvement with a potential loss in reliability. (you bought a glock for a reason)

A decent two day class will get you a 30% improvement, with no down side.

Don

KC's glock didn't run, that's why he didn't shoot for them anymore

Look at TTI, I shot a G17 that has a nice deep trigger guard undercut, great stippling and grip mod. It wasn't totally objectionable to shoot, like most glocks

I will say that this is one mod that intrigues me a little.

Great point, this mod, as well as stipling and finger groove removal have no down side. Something I didn't consider before.

Guys who go to a lot of GSSF events often have won so many Glocks that they thing nothing of hacking the frame apart. I've seen some pretty radical undercuts. If I remember right, the limiting factor is the mag release mechanism.

Of course if you undercut, you have to remove the ffinger grooves or nothing lines up right.

Don

I am interested in the effects, positive or negative, of weaving shock cord around my AR15. Discuss...

It helps with harmonics, just ask the guy with the Warsport, he'll tell ya all about harmonics.

And leave Frog Lube out of this, i happen to like it.[smile]

It helps with harmonics, just ask the guy with the Warsport, he'll tell ya all about harmonics.

And leave Frog Lube out of this, i happen to like it.[smile]

according to Warsport its for running cables, supporting the barrel while shooting from a car window for prolonged periods of time (?) and helpful for grip when the gun is wet. There is some video of the car bit....I just stare at mine thinking one day it will
make sense to me or I'll need to stop the bleeding from my wallet and tie it closed

according to Warsport its for running cables, supporting the barrel while shooting from a car window for prolonged periods of time (?) and helpful for grip when the gun is wet. There is some video of the car bit....I just stare at mine thinking one day it will
make sense to me or I'll need to stop the bleeding from my wallet and tie it closed

attachment.php

LOL.

lolvoa.jpg

Benefits:
The LVOA Rail design gives extended fighting support for a wounded shooter
Extended hide support
Low Flash Signature without the added weight and length of a suppressor
Very easy and quick to point (Engaging Targets)
Very low recoil impulse
Reduced Rail Harmonics
Accurate even under rapid fire engagement (Flat Shooting)
Balance and weight distribution
Compact size
OA Weapon Signature Reduction (Low-Vis Factory Certified)
Combat Durable
Designed in the USA
Made in the USA

Benefits:
The LVOA Rail design gives extended fighting support for a wounded shooter
Extended hide support
Low Flash Signature without the added weight and length of a suppressor
Very easy and quick to point (Engaging Targets)
Very low recoil impulse
Reduced Rail Harmonics
Accurate even under rapid fire engagement (Flat Shooting)
Balance and weight distribution
Compact size
OA Weapon Signature Reduction (Low-Vis Factory Certified)
Combat Durable
Designed in the USA
Made in the USA

Next level tactical bungee cord suspension system to support wounded shooters? ****ing smart.

attachment.php

unnamed.png

Back
Top Bottom