• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Glock 17: Zev Technologies or Salient Arms?

Salient Arms or Zev Technologies

• Salient Arms International

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Zev Technologies

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been thinking about getting a Zev Glock 17 Dragonfly for some time but did not want to get such a hardcore (to me) race gun. Also, the cut out slide was not an ideal feature as I beat the heck out of my guns (dirt, gravel etc). So, this Gen III 17 followed me home today..I am going to build my own combat/tactical Glock 17. I am not sure if I will send it in to get everything done, or simply piece it together and get a local shop to stipple the grip.

Wanted to get the peanut gallery's opinion on whether to customize it using Salient Arms, or Zev Technologies. The mods will include the following:

-Trigger/springs kit (I love the Zev fulcrum)
-Threaded barrel
-New slide or machined slide with forward serrations
-Trijicon HD sights
-Stippled grip
-Extended mag release
-Possibly a flared magwell with weight (do NOT want the huge Zev one though)

The purpose for this build will be an all around combat handgun- range, classes, etc. I want this to be my SHTF handgun.

So, do I trick it out with Salient Arms International, or Zev Technologies?

Last edited:
If you want it to be a SHTF gun, then you are going to limit what you can do. Regardless of the brand that you use.

I saw ZEV's booth at SHOT and it was really great stuff. The triggers were amazing. I asked one of the guys in the booth if the guns had stock weight striker springs. He didn't know.

Thats important because the striker spring determines trigger pull weight to a large degree. Stock i 5.5#. I run 4# springs in my play glocks. They are 100% reliable with my reloads which use soft Federal primers. But I wouldn't want to count on my gun using ammo with some of the hard Russian primers.

I've got a couple of questions.

1) Is the goal here to have a sexy looking gun that just makes you feel good, or is it all about function.

2) If you had to compromise between range gun performance, and SHTF gun reliability, which side would you come down on?

I ask because I have carry glocks, I'm wearing one now. It is 100% bone stock other than a fluff and buff on the internals and an extended mag floor plate.

I also have toy glocks that I would never depend on to save my life.

Don

I often thought of getting one of these also, but if i don't do competition i don't feel it's necessary to spend that kind of coin. I'm not sure i'd want a race type pistol for SHTF scenarios either, if it came right down to it i wouldn't grab my blinged out Glock to drop some zombies, id grab my bonestock G20.

If i was to purchase a G'd out Glock i'd go ZEV, K.C. Eusebio's race Glock is sick.

Last edited:
None of the above, stop with most of the frilly garbage. Throw a Glock OEM 3.5 lb connector on it, change the sights, maybe put extended/vickers controls on it, MAYBE stipple the sides if needed, and only if needed... and be done with it. None of that other overpriced crap you mentioned is really required for a decent gun.

-Mike

If you want it to be a SHTF gun, then you are going to limit what you can do. Regardless of the brand that you use.

I saw ZEV's booth at SHOT and it was really great stuff. The triggers were amazing. I asked one of the guys in the booth if the guns had stock weight striker springs. He didn't know.

Thats important because the striker spring determines trigger pull weight to a large degree. Stock i 5.5#. I run 4# springs in my play glocks. They are 100% reliable with my reloads which use soft Federal primers. But I wouldn't want to count on my gun using ammo with some of the hard Russian primers.

I've got a couple of questions.

1) Is the goal here to have a sexy looking gun that just makes you feel good, or is it all about function.

2) If you had to compromise between range gun performance, and SHTF gun reliability, which side would you come down on?

I ask because I have carry glocks, I'm wearing one now. It is 100% bone stock other than a fluff and buff on the internals and an extended mag floor plate.

I also have toy glocks that I would never depend on to save my life.

Don

I appreciate the response: I do not want to have a "sexy" Glock..im not even sure if they exist hahaha. Zev does some crazy stuff with finishes/porting/etc.

I want a gun with high cap, accurate, full size, and one that I don't care if it gets banged around. Looks are not the goal here: function and accuracy are paramount. I would compromise SHTF reliability over range/shoot house performance.

I have a couple of Glocks as well (Carrying a Gen 4 30 right now with a Ghost tactical trigger). I already have a Sig X5 (new design) as a competeition gun so I am looking to turn this 17 into a tricked out COMBAT Glock (as opposed to COMPETITION). Not going with an RMR- I had one on my FNX Tactical 45 and wasn't a huge fan...

I agree that Zev does make some great stuff (as mentioned, their Fulcrum trigger is amazing!) I am just not sure whether to go with Zev or Salient parts...I feel like I have a blank canvas in this Glock, and want to turn it into a tastefully tricked out combat firearm.

None of the above, stop with most of the frilly garbage. Throw a Glock OEM 3.5 lb connector on it, change the sights, maybe put extended/vickers controls on it, MAYBE stipple the sides if needed, and only if needed... and be done with it. None of that other overpriced crap you mentioned is really required for a decent gun.

-Mike

this.

I appreciate the response: I do not want to have a "sexy" Glock..im not even sure if they exist hahaha. Zev does some crazy stuff with finishes/porting/etc.

I want a gun with high cap, accurate, full size, and one that I don't care if it gets banged around. Looks are not the goal here: function and accuracy are paramount. I would compromise SHTF reliability over range/shoot house performance.

I have a couple of Glocks as well (Carrying a Gen 4 30 right now with a Ghost tactical trigger). I already have a Sig X5 (new design) as a competeition gun so I am looking to turn this 17 into a tricked out COMBAT Glock (as opposed to COMPETITION). Not going with an RMR- I had one on my FNX Tactical 45 and wasn't a huge fan...

I agree that Zev does make some great stuff (as mentioned, their Fulcrum trigger is amazing!) I am just not sure whether to go with Zev or Salient parts...I feel like I have a blank canvas in this Glock, and want to turn it into a tastefully tricked out combat firearm.

I ask because a lot of what you mentioned in your original post is pure bling.

There is no reason to replace the stock glock slide. Or barrel for that matter, unless you can legally own silencers.

I that leaves you some other items. I'll address them below.

-Trigger/springs kit - Like mike said above, just do a 3.5# connector. With a stock striker spring and a good detailed fluff and buff, you can get the trigger down to under 4#. This is a real 4#. Most people who estimate trigger weight have no freaking clue. NONE. Until you have compared your finger to a gauge like a lyman digital gauge, you have no point of reference. My G34 set up like I said here except with a lighter striker spring is just a hair under 3#. Thats as light as I'd ever want on a handgun, even a competion gun. With a stock weight spring, you are at about 4#. Which is about perfect.

-Threaded barrel - Why? You are from Boston. You can't legally own a can. If you have no use for the threads, then its just something you have to worry about.

-New slide or machined slide with forward serrations - Bling Bling - no functional advantage

-Trijicon HD sights - a nice improvement
-Stippled grip - A nice improvement. I like my Gen 4 guns because of the better grip. If I was going to have this done, I'd also have them remove the finger grooves. I like a nice high grip on the gun and find that I'm often fightning the finger grooves.

-Extended mag release - Assuming you aren't left handed this is a good thing. If you are LH an extended release is more likely to get hit if you bump something. I just used the stock Glock 34 extended release on my Gen 3 guns. Cheap and good

-Possibly a flared magwell with weight (do NOT want the huge Zev one though) - Kindof pointless, you will get faster reloads if you spend some time practicing at home than you will with the best magwell in teh world. You are trying to substitute gear for training. If you insist, Sentinal Design makes a nice carry magwell.

I got the Glock through a blue label dealer. I would like the threaded barrel because although I am from Boston, I am currently stationed in VA. I have a suppressor for my .308- and in the future may get a 9mm one...

Thanks all for cutting "the fat" off of what I am getting on this thing! All ideas are appreciated.

-Mike
Cant believe we agree on something handgun related. But Mike is right. GLOCKS come from the factory set up as battle ready, and as much as I don't like them, battle ready they are indeed. If we're talking SHTF gun, you might even reconsider the lighter connector. When the lead is flying your way, you won't notice the difference. I agree on the sights, tho. The U sights they put on those guns are a disgrace.

image.jpg

G34 with Battlehook plain black sights, Dawson mag extensions and Ice magwell flare. Only change I might make from here is a front tritium sight at some point.

The magwell does not lower reload times from practicing. What it does do is increase the margin of error under stress.

I have no intention of stippling or changing any trigger/slide/barrel. I personally haven't had any issues with the stock mag release.

View attachment 128431

G34 with Battlehook plain black sights, Dawson mag extensions and Ice magwell flare. Only change I might make from here is a front tritium sight at some point.

The magwell does not lower reload times from practicing. What it does do is increase the margin of error under stress.

I have no intention of stippling or changing any trigger/slide/barrel. I personally haven't had any issues with the stock mag release.

Nice! Thanks for sharing

I got the Glock through a blue label dealer. I would like the threaded barrel because although I am from Boston, I am currently stationed in VA. I have a suppressor for my .308- and in the future may get a 9mm one...

Thanks all for cutting "the fat" off of what I am getting on this thing! All ideas are appreciated.

If you want to get a threaded bbl, I'd suggest KKM. I've owned Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM and unfortunately EFK Firedragon.

Of the 4, the firedragon barrel was unacceptable and it was backed up with terrible terrible customer service.
The lone wolf was acceptable.

Both of the above barrels had bores that were not centered in the OD of the barrel. They were both threaded and would have caused problems if I had tried to use either with a can.

The Storm lake was very nice.

The KKM was a thing of beauty. Its so nicely finished, its almost a shame to put it into a glock. And it shoots great.

With all that said, I own two 9mm cans. I can't say that either is actually fun to shoot with the glock. I've come to realize that centerfire handgun cans fall into 2 categories of use:
1) you actually need a can - varmint control, assassin, etc.
2) you shoot it and think, wow that's neat. Then you take it off and keep shooting because 16 oz hanging off the end of the barrel completely destroys the handling of the gun.

I find I use my 9mm cans more on pistol caliber carbines and sub guns than on actual handguns. They just aren't any fun to shoot.

But thats me. PM me if you want to discuss more.

Don

p.s. I find that .22LR cans are the ones I shoot most with a handgun. at 3 to 4 oz, they don't hurt the way a gun handles.

2) you shoot it and think, wow that's neat. Then you take it off and keep shooting because 16 oz hanging off the end of the barrel completely destroys the handling of the gun.

LOL QFT

OP, I have seen a couple of the $2000 salient glocks used in competitions, in addition to the year long wait, i have heard the reliability is sub par.

Nice! Thank you very much for the info on your experience with the aftermarket barrels and also WRT putting a can on the 9mm. I am only an aspiring assassin: as such, you provided valuable insight and I appreciate it! V/R

DTE

Was in the market myself got a Glock 17 and was fortunate to find a vickers RTF. Grip is awesome came with Wilson vickers combat sight which are awesome and vickers extended controls. Everything else is stock and that's the way I like it. Oh and the FDE grip is pretty cool too.

-Mike

This. I wouldn't even **** with the trigger. Shoot the gun as it is, get proficient with the stock trigger and move on. My carry G19 has a set of Straight 8 sights on it, and that is it. Over the years I have found that the more I **** with something, the more of a chance it will **** up. Stock Glocks are fine the way they are once you decide what kind of sights you like.

My night stand G17 is getting the same sights and an ICE mag well, otherwise it is staying stock as well.

This. I wouldn't even **** with the trigger. Shoot the gun as it is, get proficient with the stock trigger and move on. My carry G19 has a set of Straight 8 sights on it, and that is it. Over the years I have found that the more I **** with something, the more of a chance it will **** up. Stock Glocks are fine the way they are once you decide what kind of sights you like.

My night stand G17 is getting the same sights and an ICE mag well, otherwise it is staying stock as well.

Yup. Stock is fine for most anything you'll do in a class.

DH 50 yards: http://youtu.be/pzGGOl61_MQ

Save your money for ammo and practice a lot. When you get good practice more. Continue practicing and in your free time, practice.

Glock spends millions on R&D and engineers a very reliable, combat/defense/SHTF/range/everything else pistol. Anything you do to "improve" it will introduce some compromise. Leave it alone. And for crying out loud don't stipple it. If you can't get a good grip on it put some grip tape on it but don't screw around with melting the frame. Ghey. If you still can't get a good grip, turn in your man card and buy a single stack 9. And practice a lot with it.

Chris

Save your money for ammo and practice a lot. When you get good practice more. Continue practicing and in your free time, practice.

Glock spends millions on R&D and engineers a very reliable, combat/defense/SHTF/range/everything else pistol. Anything you do to "improve" it will introduce some compromise. Leave it alone. And for crying out loud don't stipple it. If you can't get a good grip on it put some grip tape on it but don't screw around with melting the frame. Ghey. If you still can't get a good grip, turn in your man card and buy a single stack 9. And practice a lot with it.

Chris

Chris, thank you for the honest analysis. I shoot all the time (practice).. This is just another "toy" and not a "one gun in my house" cry out. Nonetheless, thanks for the response/opinion- this forum is a great tool and I value everyone's advice/insight.

I would say salient or agency arms. I own a Gen4 Salient G17 tier 1 and an Gen3 Agency G19 Hybrid. Both guns are spectacular. Nothing against zev, they are well proven. In fact zev just released a line of slides two days ago that are an amazing value. Already cut for RMR plus it comes with sights, all internals except barrel for under $600. Lots of
very fun options out there these days. I just ordered 2 of Zevs new match grade glock barrels.

As for reliability, I bet my life on my Salient daily. it runs fast as hell crazy accurate and never fails.

I own a lot of guns.... If SHTF I would grab my Salient

Last edited:

-Mike

I'm with mike on this. I have a pretty tricked out G19 and wouldnt go a step further.

Glockworx fulcrum trigger
Ghost connector
Stainless pins
polished internals
Vickers extended slide release
Cerakoted slide
sights of your choosing
a bunch of prebans

All that and i'm still less than half of a Salient, and lets be real. Who needs slide cuts? especially on a SHTF piece

If you want it to be a SHTF handgun, then keep that aftermarket crap off it. Glocks are reliable as is. Much of the aftermarket crap is just that - crap. Change the sights, do a 50 cent trigger job. Glock extended slide stop. Add a Glock - connector and you are done

Spend your money on ammo.

A stock Glock is truly one of the most proven hand guns on earth. Do you need more than that? Thats the debate. In my opinion I want every possible advantage. So in defense of the salient, which unless youve shot one it's hard to understand this....it's better in every way. It's lighter, cycles faster, runs cooler, far more accurate, easier to handle and every bit as reliable as a factory Glock. So, it's all a matter of the money. Some people scoff at the price. I say it's worth every penny. I agree with the training. It's paramount. You need to be a great shooter with any gun. It's like being a pro race car driver....as one you could certainly drive the shit out a production car...but get in a tuned race car and Magic happens.

A stock Glock is truly one of the most proven hand guns on earth. Do you need more than that? Thats the debate. In my opinion I want every possible advantage. So in defense of the salient, which unless youve shot one it's hard to understand this....it's better in every way. It's lighter, cycles faster, runs cooler, far more accurate, easier to handle and every bit as reliable as a factory Glock. So, it's all a matter of the money. Some people scoff at the price. I say it's worth every penny. I agree with the training. It's paramount. You need to be a great shooter with any gun. It's like being a pro race car driver....as one you could certainly drive the shit out a production car...but get in a tuned race car and Magic happens.

And just like any hot rod, as soon as you start tuning for performance you start to give on reliability. I am sure yours is great, but I would rather not run the risk of buying an absurdly expensive Glock that is tweaked beyond the factory spec, unless I had money to burn and wanted a toy. Even then, I would likely buy a stock Glock, change the sights, and spend the remaining money on ammo.

And just like any hot rod, as soon as you start tuning for performance you start to give on reliability. I am sure yours is great, but I would rather not run the risk of buying an absurdly expensive Glock that is tweaked beyond the factory spec, unless I had money to burn and wanted a toy. Even then, I would likely buy a stock Glock, change the sights, and spend the remaining money on ammo.

Exactly, I think at the end of the day spend more on ammo because what good is a gun without it lol

Back
Top Bottom