New from Marshfield

Hi Folks, new holder of a class A and member on NES. It took about 18 days for me to get my LTC. I'm ready to purchase but I'm stuck on wether to go all steel or one of the alloy or pollimer models. Steel appears to be more expensive, does this translate into longer lasting and more durable? A friend is saying go Sig and think of nothing else. What say you

A friend is saying go Sig and think of nothing else. What say you

Welcome to NES! You will find a wealth of information and good conversation here.

As far as what to buy, your best bet is to try as many different types of firearms before you buy. It's cheaper in the long run. Sig is a very good gun, one of the best on the market and you may indeed like it. But something else might fit you better.

Ask your friend if you can try some of his sigs first, then try to find some other handguns to compare. That will give you the best chance to fins that /those handun(s) that you will like best.

Good luck!

If you keep your SIG clean and oiled, the only reason to prefer one over the other is personal preference. Polymer will be lighter and easier to carry, but may have more recoil than steel (the steel will have more mass to soak up the recoil). Why not try to shoot the two different models and then decide? There are public ranges that rent guns. Do a little searching on the phrase public range and you'll turn up the threads with all the names.

Hi Folks, new holder of a class A and member on NES. It took about 18 days for me to get my LTC. I'm ready to purchase but I'm stuck on wether to go all steel or one of the alloy or pollimer models. Steel appears to be more expensive, does this translate into longer lasting and more durable? A friend is saying go Sig and think of nothing else. What say you

Welcome.

I'd suggest you try many different guns before you buy. While SigSauer
pistols are high quality firearms (I own several) they may
or may not be right for you for other reasons. Most of the first
or second tier firearms out there are more than reliable enough on
average to last a LONG time. I have plenty of steel and plastic
in my safe and I don't really feel that one is more reliable than the
other. Yeah, there are other differences, but overall reliability isn't
one of them. There are a lot of handguns out there to try,
it pays to get some range and trigger time with different ones
before you buy. When you're new there is this preference and
learning curve that you have to overcome; not sure where you
are skills wise, but that may play into buying decisions, etc. Even
making sure the gun fits your hand right is a big deal... theres nothing
worse than buying something that doesn't fit you well
ergonomically. If it doesn't "feel right" in your hand then its a
lot harder to shoot it well.

-Mike

Welcome!

I will echo what everyone else has said. While Sig's are great firearms I personally hate the way they feel in my hand. That being said, I have handguns in steel, polymer, and alloy, and they are all reliable.

Try a Glock or a M&P before you decide. Sigs are great but they are heavy to carry and you must keep them clean and oiled. Glocks are almost maintenance free and very user friendly. Four Seasons usually has a decent selection of used Glocks.
I haven`t tried the M&P yet but I`ve heard good things about them on this forum. If you want to travel to Springfield you can rent most of the S&W guns for a tryout.

Back
Top Bottom