New firearm inventory software in Beta - Need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you select a different item from the drop down and that misspelling one was only on that firearm, it should clear it on restart. I didn't think about that. I think I know a quick fix I'll look at later.

Yeah, you're correct. I restarted and the ones I'm no longer using disappeared.

Thanks again for the additional info. Let me clarify my idea:

The login feature would be:

- in it's simplest form: without my login you can't access the app or decrypt the DB

Ah, yes, it would require a password to use the encrypted DB.

- in an advanced form: allow for remote storage of the DB (for example Dropbox) and me being able to have the app on multiple PCs, login, authenticate to Dropbox, view my DB.

Well, to implement that, once encryption is enabled, would be to allow you to select the location of the database. Then you could save to you dropbox folder and load it from any location where you have access to dropbox. I'll keep that in mind when making the encryption stuff.

And I think i found a fix for the auto-complete with typos issue with the dropdowns.

Well, to implement that, once encryption is enabled, would be to allow you to select the location of the database. Then you could save to you dropbox folder and load it from any location where you have access to dropbox. I'll keep that in mind when making the encryption stuff.

And I think i found a fix for the auto-complete with typos issue with the dropdowns.

Cool, that would def be pretty cool. All I'd need to do if my w/s shit the bed is download the app again, authenticate and I'm golden. Of course, backups are recommended but we all know how we forget to backup things.

Cool, that would def be pretty cool. All I'd need to do if my w/s shit the bed is download the app again, authenticate and I'm golden. Of course, backups are recommended but we all know how we forget to backup things.

Addind to that, maybe when you install the app you get a dialog saying:

new user/db?
existing user/db?

If existing is selected, you get to point the app to your DB, dropbox being the folder in this case.

Hey gang, speaking of backups, anyone have any recommendations for other services like Dropbox I should look into integrating?

Addind to that, maybe when you install the app you get a dialog saying:

new user/db?
existing user/db?

If existing is selected, you get to point the app to your DB, dropbox being the folder in this case.

Yeah, kind of how I picture it. It'd be part of the multiple database system.

The worst thing I'm finding out about this app is how much money I've been spending on firearms...

Bahahahahaha! Maybe I should implement a special keystroke that is used to switch into Wife Mode and it'll fudge the numbers slightly? ;)

This is really fine work, wolfrage.

Thank you!

My only comment is to echo s4mt3k: Will we be able to eventually edit the numbers assigned to the entries? Could we sort them as well?

All the magazine or accessory etc info I have just been putting under "description" but I suppose a few more categories might be nice:

Magazine type/capacity/number of magazines

Grip/stock

Sights/optics/laser/light

Yes, you'll be able to edit the ID number and use something else. My question to you all is would you rather have it be just a text field you can put ANYTHING in, shoudl it be a manually entered number or should it be an automatic numbering? I'm for making it a text identifier myself but need your opinions, gang.

As for sorting, I can add that. What do you want to sort by? Do you want selectable fields (i.e Manufacturer, Model or Identifier Field)?

As for accessories, i am definitely adding an accessories tab for all that stuff BUT that will be after I get the basics all working perfectly(ish). But everyone is asking for it and even i swore when I realized I had no place to list my bayonette for one of my rifles. heh

And I like your suggestions for what to include for those fields. Ill put that stuff in the top panel under the Stats tab. Would that work?

Yes, you'll be able to edit the ID number and use something else.

Great.

My question to you all is would you rather have it be just a text field you can put ANYTHING in, shoudl it be a manually entered number or should it be an automatic numbering? I'm for making it a text identifier myself but need your opinions, gang.

I like the auto numbering, but a text field is fine.

As for sorting, I can add that. What do you want to sort by? Do you want selectable fields (i.e Manufacturer, Model or Identifier Field)?

Exactly.

As for accessories, i am definitely adding an accessories tab for all that stuff BUT that will be after I get the basics all working perfectly(ish). But everyone is asking for it and even i swore when I realized I had no place to list my bayonette for one of my rifles. heh

And I like your suggestions for what to include for those fields. Ill put that stuff in the top panel under the Stats tab. Would that work?

Perfect.

I figured out (all by my lonesome) that the thumbnail pic of the gun (when I'm in the "General" tab) will only show above the description if I choose "Set As Main Pic" under the "Pictures" tab.

Nice!

New version posted - v.60:

* Comboboxes now clear selected when changing firearms - Thanks Z0mbi
* Spacing for View mode altered (still tweaking) - Again thanks Z0mbi
* Main Image box on General tab now shows info text if no picture is set - thanks Gibbs and Zo0mbi
* Experimenting with displaying first 70 chars of text from Description field in the inventory list, instead of the ID number. Might help spot the differences between two similar firearms
* Clicking new firearm switches back to View mode - Thanks Z0mbi

Last edited:
Does this auto update through Air?

Yes. The version you have may not, but the current version should, yes, in the future. If yours doesn't notify you of a new update when you load it then install using the Badge on http://myifsgundb.com and in the future it shoudl auto update. I haven't tested it in production yet as I just added it recently.

* Experimenting with displaying first 70 chars of text from Description field in the inventory list, instead of the ID number. Might help spot the differences between two similar firearms

If you're going to stick with this, I would suggest changing up the formatting a bit. Make the firearm make/model in bold text and the description in regular, or something similar. personally, I used the description box to list a bunch of notable things such as unique characteristics, number of magazines, etc... all kinds of stuff. Some of it looks strange to be over on the main selection list. I'd almost want a separate short description which only holds one line of text specifically for the main list, like:

Rossi model 92
16" barrel .357/.38

Rossi model 92
18" barrel .45LC

Right now it's more like:

Rossi model 92
16" barrel with a nick on the left side. 8 round magazine
tube. Very accurate rifle.
Leather sling
Leather scabbard

Too much information for just the main listing. I realize it all depends on what I write in the description field, which will likely change once you add an accessories tab, but maybe 70 characters is still way too much. One line aught to do it, imo.

Too much information for just the main listing. I realize it all depends on what I write in the description field, which will likely change once you add an accessories tab, but maybe 70 characters is still way too much. One line aught to do it, imo.

OK, maybe it wasn't a brilliant idea. Hmm. Orig i was thinking the serial to be displayed on a line below the Manu/Model combo, and thought about the desc field.

I changed it to the Serial just now, but I probably won't keep that unless people want. Instead I'll work on adding the Identifier field instead to use in place of the orig ID number.

I'm not a developer, and I didn't thoroughly read through the thread, but is there any chance you could have a field that would open a particular firearm's manual in PDF form (if available)? Obviously it would have to be something the user locates and saves to a target folder ahead of time, but it would make E-manuals handy to pull up.

I'm not a developer, and I didn't thoroughly read through the thread, but is there any chance you could have a field that would open a particular firearm's manual in PDF form (if available)? Obviously it would have to be something the user locates and saves to a target folder ahead of time, but it would make E-manuals handy to pull up.

Yes, actually, I'll add that to my list!

That's a great idea.

Would you guys mind if it just opened the PDF into Reader (or whatever your system has set for the default app for PDFs) or do you want it to display in the app?

Also, hey Z0mbi - did the auto update work, BTW?

Opening in the default reader would be preferable IMO. A space for a link to a file on your HD in the app would be good.

I had to manually update.

Would you guys mind if it just opened the PDF into Reader

Just installed this app on my mac.. This is some nice stuff!!! I would say open in reader.. What I would like to see

Round Count Total: Date/Count/Type
Accessories:Mags/Holsters/Pouch's/Lights/Lasers etc
Modifications List: Trigger Job/Recoil Spring/Barrel etc

Just installed this app on my mac.. This is some nice stuff!!! I would say open in reader.. What I would like to see

Round Count Total: Date/Count/Type
Accessories:Mags/Holsters/Pouch's/Lights/Lasers etc
Modifications List: Trigger Job/Recoil Spring/Barrel etc

Thanks! So far it seems like just opening it in its default app is the way to go, so I'll look into it.

I'll continue to add everyone's ideas for the Accessories tab so i can begin working on that once the main bugs are fixed.

Nicely done wolfrage.... coming along great!

Have you thought about a "common DB" that can be mapped to so that laptop/desktop can share the DB? Or an easier solution perhaps can mirror the DB to a secondary system at shutdown? Auto-Sync?

Just chewing on DR and such.

-R

Nicely done wolfrage.... coming along great!

Have you thought about a "common DB" that can be mapped to so that laptop/desktop can share the DB? Or an easier solution perhaps can mirror the DB to a secondary system at shutdown? Auto-Sync?

Just chewing on DR and such.

-R

Well, I'll be implementing a function that will let you specify where to store your DB. Once that happens you could save it to a Dropbox folder. Then each of your machines could access it by setting them to each use that file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom