New Boston, NH Police Chief abuses power Update Post #704

Shooters-Hooksett

NES Member
Where do we start?

I have a customer that left a large collection of firearms here at MFLR on October 2009 for consignment.

I get a call today from the New Boston Police Chief saying that the my customer has just had a Domestic Violence Petition served,and that he was coming to MFLR to confiscate his firearms. I told him that I would not turn over the firearms,as they were in my bound book,and legally mine until they sold. Furthermore, I told him that my customer could not get them back because: A. I'm aware of the petition, and B. He can't pass a background check with the petition in effect. This arrogant SOB threatened to have me arrested because he claimed that he had a "court order". I explained that the court order was to take firearms away from my customer,not me. Well, didn't matter to him. A little while ago,Manchester Police, Hillsborough County Sheriff & the New Boston Chief all came. My lawyer also talked to the Chief,and this guy just shut him down.

After talking with my Lawyer, the firearms were turned over to avoid the arrest tonight,we'll be filing with the court in the morning arguing that the New Boston Police Chief violated my rights,taking my firearms, and asking for them back immediately.

The NH AG's office,the Manchester Union Leader, GO-NH-, and everyone else in NH offices in Concord will also be called.

If I don't take this stand,and spend the money for my Lawyer to punish this man for what he's doing, it would open the door for more abuse of power like this. [angry]

Jim

Last edited:
Well as an observer. Thanks for fighting. A lot of people would have rolled over and let the COP get away with inventing his own laws.

Wow, BS. When the police on the Cape take away guns from domestic violence offenders they often bring them TO an FFL (bonded storage agent) for safe keeping.

Not that I'm in any position to help out financially,

But what kind of money are you talking about?

If my querry is inappropriate, feel free to let me know in the manner of your choosing.

Wow what a joke! Is the ATF friendly with dealers? Maybe they could raid the Boston PD to recover your stolen firearms...

Good luck to you.

Good luck......This is BS. I always thought that if you were involved in a domestic you could turn your guns over to someone who can be in legal possession of them. I wish you the best of luck, and if you do in fact need funding I'd be glad to help out. Otherwise I'll just visit MFLR on Sunday and rather than bring ammo, I'll buy yours to at least indirectly help out.

Not that I'm in any position to help out financially,

But what kind of money are you talking about?

If my querry is inappropriate, feel free to let me know in the manner of your choosing.

My Lawyer isn't cheap,but good. It doesn't matter - probably a couple grand if he sees the light quickly, much much more if I have to take it to the NH Supreme Court.
And I will if I have to!

I thought tis crap only happens in MA.
Good luck with the case. I hope he looks like a fool in court.

report them stolen, and tip the ATF off?

By law he HAS to inform the ATF that guns on his books are no longer under his control. Perhaps she should tell them exactly who stole them.

You guys posted the same thought I had. Did the police give you detailed receipts when they confiscated the guns? What happens if the guns are eventually ordered returned to you and one is damaged or even worse, missing? I agree, you have to fight this since it's your FFL that's on the line.

Best of luck in this battle, Jim. I hope it is quick and not too co$tly.

By law he HAS to inform the ATF that guns on his books are no longer under his control. Perhaps she should tell them exactly who stole them.

I am thinking along the same lines. These seem to be stolen firearms at this point, technically, though the court order clearly muddles this. The ATF needs to be notified regardless if for no other reason than to figure out how to account for it.

But I was digging on the topic and the most relevant stuff comes from CA. There at least, it appears that the firearms need to be SOLD to the FFL and not simply held. Not sure if consignment is considered "sold to" and even less sure if it even applies here. This is likely limited to CA law but it seems as though this is a huge headache. Even Dowd looks good over that alternative.

PS: Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom