• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Boston Licensing Process

I called BPD Licensing Dept the other day to see if they were accepting appointments for new LTCs for 2 people I was teaching a class to. The officer told me that Boston had drastically changed their process. First for renewals, there is no need to go into HQ anymore. Everything will be done on line. Also, there is no more Moon Island test. The application they are using is the standard state application.

For new applicants, you have to call to get your name on the list. They are working through the back log of new licenses since March. Once they get to your name, they will call you and have you submit your documents and payment on-line. Then they will give you a time to come in for your finger prints. No more Moon Island test for new applicants either.

The way the licensing officer was talking, this is the way its going to be from now on. Even when COVID is over.

I imagine this is budget with the recent cuts. The city couldn't charge for the Moon Island exam and that's a lot of ammunition and staff time billable to the city each year.

What about the poor / computer-illterate that don't have access to submitting documents online? Are they shit out of luck or is this more purposeful discrimination?
Their out on that lawsuit angle is public library computers. They were already discriminating against poor people that don't own cars because they wouldn't let you out to Moon Island. Taxis/Ubers didn't go out there, so you had to hitchhike from the guard shack with another test candidate if you were lucky.

I imagine this is budget with the recent cuts. The city couldn't charge for the Moon Island exam and that's a lot of ammunition and staff time billable to the city each year.

I figured the non-refundable $100 fe covered the 30 rounds of .38. That said, my Moon Island shoot was actually kind of fun. The RO started talking in my ear after moving back to the 15 yd. line with a perfect score. He chuckled after I zinged a few into the 8 and 9 rings and walked away. He apparently didn't like people getting perfect scores (which isn't terribly difficult). Officers were super nice, no pressure, and extremely easy to get the 210 needed (think I ended up in the high 280's?) they're more interested in muzzle and trigger discipline than they are shooting accurately.

With that said, it was a monumental waste of time and I'm glad to see it go. Some towns require (and many courses offer) live fire with the state basic course anyway, so what's the point of setting up more hoops if nothing more than to discourage those that can't find the time and money to complete all of the requirements? It's a racist licensing system in Boston and people shrug it off 'cuz guns'. 3 days (partial or not) off work for the course, interview, and test, plus $200-$300 depending on the state course, and a total completion time of 8-9 months (as of 2 years ago).

Shall not be infringed my ass.

I figured the non-refundable $100 fe covered the 30 rounds of .38
There is a specified division of the $100. The fact that the fee is not reduced when the test goes away, and that the remaining of the PDs that do not have the test charge $100, undermines that assumption.

Another cost is the officer to administer the test.

You can thank attorney Karen Macnutt for the "Fee free" Moon Island test. She challenged the test requirement and lost, but did manage to defeat the fee.

Last edited:
There is a specified division of the $100. The fact that the fee is not reduced when the test goes away, and that the remaining of the PDs that do not have the test charge $100, undermines that assumption.

Another cost if the officer to administer the test.

You can thank attorney Karen Macnutt for the "Fee free" Moon Island test. She challenged the test requirement and lost, but did manage to defeat the fee.

I learned something today! So it sounds like they initially wanted to charge an additional fee for the test?!?! Bastards. F them to the moon and back.

I called BPD Licensing Dept the other day to see if they were accepting appointments for new LTCs for 2 people I was teaching a class to. The officer told me that Boston had drastically changed their process. First for renewals, there is no need to go into HQ anymore. Everything will be done on line. Also, there is no more Moon Island test. The application they are using is the standard state application.

For new applicants, you have to call to get your name on the list. They are working through the back log of new licenses since March. Once they get to your name, they will call you and have you submit your documents and payment on-line. Then they will give you a time to come in for your finger prints. No more Moon Island test for new applicants either.

The way the licensing officer was talking, this is the way its going to be from now on. Even when COVID is over.
Better get on the list now. I know a guy that sent everything in before March and is still waiting.

Another cost is the officer to administer the test.

Crazy old lady

Of course. Follow the money. Boston PD is definitely watching their bottom line. My bet is all LTCs will still be seriously restricted to target/sporting only.

Of that $100 fee, $75 goes to the State and $25 to the city/town's general fund. That is the breakdown per MGLs and nothing goes to the PD regardless of any extra hoops or not.

Thanks for the info Brother.

Super Happy to get No restrictions in Boston after 136 days when renewal application submitted. Thanks for the info, I submitted 6 months in advanced.
New application or renewal?

I have an unrestricted another PD issued and it is up for renewal in 2023. I am in Boston now, I might still be in Boston in 2 years.

New application or renewal?

I have an unrestricted another PD issued and it is up for renewal in 2023. I am in Boston now, I might still be in Boston in 2 years.
Yeah. Use it 2 more years then renew or do it now. Doesn't matter. Samething. Only renewal will have your current address. Both are valid No restrictions

Then wait. No different beside the address. (Remember to send 3 paperwork forms to police... bla blah...) for address change
I did all that when I moved and bought several guns using the new address so at least the State got the form.

Back
Top Bottom