New Bedford & Fall River Plan Gun Buy Back

hmmm interesting, ill drive down there if i have the day off.....do you just bring some FA 10 forms with you? and is it legal? And what if the gun is "hot" or not registered or if the person turning in the guns arent LTC holders?, see these are the things to ask haha

hmmm interesting, ill drive down there if i have the day off.....do you just bring some FA 10 forms with you? and is it legal? And what if the gun is "hot" or not registered or if the person turning in the guns arent LTC holders?, see these are the things to ask haha

If they dont have an LTC, you take possession to transport it to an FFL, and the FFL will do the transfer between you and the other person.

Sounds interesting to write/read but let's think about it. What are the chances anyone who has taken the pains to obtain a LTC and keep it current is going to show up and give away a gun at a bargain? Then what are the chances a person who feels the need for a gun but has no license is going to come in with a working gun? So you are left with people gaming the system or people who are left with a gun they know little about and are uninterested. Think about your chances of convincing them to come to a FFL... Maybe if you are a FFL this would work for you but business owners might not think highly of this in your face strategy??

I'd love for someone who goes there to update this thread with how things actually went...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sounds interesting to write/read but let's think about it. What are the chances anyone who has taken the pains to obtain a LTC and keep it current is going to show up and give away a gun at a bargain? Then what are the chances a person who feels the need for a gun but has no license is going to come in with a working gun? So you are left with people gaming the system or people who are left with a gun they know little about and are uninterested. Think about your chances of convincing them to come to a FFL... Maybe if you are a FFL this would work for you but business owners might not think highly of this in your face strategy??

I'd love for someone who goes there to update this thread with how things actually went...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well, if it's a case of "guns are icky and scary", they're probably not going to sell to you. If it's a case of I don't care for guns and have no use for this thing that I inherited and don't want it in my house, then it might be about the almighty dollar and who's offering them a better deal to take it off of their hands. Either way, I don't think that the people running the "buy back" are going to be too happy with your tactics. [thinking]

Even if "guns are icky and scary" if you offer someone even half of what a lot of things are worth, compared to the almost nothing the PDs offer, if its not ridiculously inconvenient, I am sure they would come down and take the money you are paying.

Mike

. . . I don't think that the people running the "buy back" are going to be too happy with your tactics. [thinking]

I would expect anyone who tries this to be told to leave or face arrest. If they failed to leave, I would expect them to be arrested on some trumped up charge. And in MA, I would expect a DA and judge to go along and actually convict.

Just a gut feel, but I'll be watching for the news story of the arrest.

[Note: One of my Sgts who was an expert on Ch. 90 used to tell me that he could stop almost any car and cite them for a minimum of 5 different infractions if he so desired, MGLs being most convoluted, almost everything you do is illegal if someone wants to push it. It doesn't just apply to gun or traffic laws either and isn't totally unique to MA either.]

it would be about the most epic thing this site has seen in a long time if an FFL and some buyers were to hang out nearby a "gun buy back" and steal some business....

that being said, i think this is probably the likely outcome unfortuently

I would expect anyone who tries this to be told to leave or face arrest. If they failed to leave, I would expect them to be arrested on some trumped up charge. And in MA, I would expect a DA and judge to go along and actually convict.

Just a gut feel, but I'll be watching for the news story of the arrest.

[Note: One of my Sgts who was an expert on Ch. 90 used to tell me that he could stop almost any car and cite them for a minimum of 5 different infractions if he so desired, MGLs being most convoluted, almost everything you do is illegal if someone wants to push it. It doesn't just apply to gun or traffic laws either and isn't totally unique to MA either.]

it would be funny if some of our LOE brothers/sisters on here were to go down there and steal some business from the buy back, What would happen then? No offense guys and ladies LOE but makes you think, would it be different for them?? hmmm

For those of you new to the site and weren't part of this discussion the LAST 50 TIMES we talked about it...........

You can't do this without getting in trouble. The cops won't let you stand there and pick pieces as they come by.

Do you know when they say that some things are too good to be true??? This is one of those things. Stay at home unless you have something to sell, you aren't going to buy anything.

For those of you new to the site and weren't part of this discussion the LAST 50 TIMES we talked about it...........

You can't do this without getting in trouble. The cops won't let you stand there and pick pieces as they come by.

Do you know when they say that some things are too good to be true??? This is one of those things. Stay at home unless you have something to sell, you aren't going to buy anything.

I only saw the last 49 discussions. I figured the 50th time would be a charm.....

it would be funny if some of our LOE brothers/sisters on here were to go down there and steal some business from the buy back, What would happen then? No offense guys and ladies LOE but makes you think, would it be different for them?? hmmm

One thing that you learn as a LEO, you do NOT go messing in another LEO's turf! [thinking]

If work takes you in another jurisdiction, heaven help the LEO that doesn't check in with the local PD first (assuming not a deep undercover op - and even then there are bad feelings when it gets known).

and here's the news article for it, looks like it will be this saturday

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101207/NEWS/12070326/-1/NEWS01

heres some interesting quotes from the article

Most important, they said, is that everyone must call police at (508) 991-6350 with the time they expect to arrive and their vehicle description. All weapons must be unloaded and carried in the trunk of the car.

Once participants arrive at the drop-off location, they will be met by a police officer who will remove the weapon from the vehicle.

guess its not anonymous lol

Those who fail to follow those steps run the risk of being charged with illegal transportation of a firearm, Teachman said.

No one turning in a weapon will be asked his or her name. Police officers will come to the home of a participant who is apprehensive about handling a firearm or transporting it.

they'll just have your plate number or be in your house is all

All of the weapons will be destroyed following a state lab test to see whether they have been involved in a crime.

sureeeeee they will

Each functional handgun that is turned in will be worth a $100 grocery store gift card. Functional rifles and shotguns will net $75 gift cards. Non-functional guns, $50 gift cards. Ammunition will be accepted for proper disposal.

whupty do, and the ammo "disposal" will go the same place the "good" guns go.... home with the cops lol

Last edited:
and here's the news article for it, looks like it will be this saturday

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101207/NEWS/12070326/-1/NEWS01

heres some interesting quotes from the article

guess its not anonymous lol

they'll just have your plate number or be in your house is all

sureeeeee they will

whupty do, and the ammo "disposal" will go the same place the "good" guns go.... home with the cops lol

Again I loathe the Standard Rag. And I hate how articles like these puts a black mark on ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS who legally own guns.

From the article...
"All weapons must be unloaded and carried in the trunk of the car.
Once participants arrive at the drop-off location, they will be met by a police officer who will remove the weapon from the vehicle.
Those who fail to follow those steps run the risk of being charged with illegal transportation of a firearm, Teachman said."

Really? Now how am I going to be charged with illegal transportion of a firearm if it's on my person? If I am legally able to carry said firearm? B.S.

And shame shame on Mayor Scott Lang, you just made a huge mistake.
"Lang compared having a gun in the home to the Edgar Allen Poe story, "The Tell-Tale Heart," in which a heart beats steadily. "You know it's there and it frightens you," Lang said."

OH MY, Imma so scared to have a gun in my home! I don't worry about robbing people, or selling or doing drugs, or being addicted to drugs, but having a gun in my home makes me shake at the knees.[bs2]

But for us LAC, This is a black mark on ALL of us. Massachusetts is where your 2A rights are getting bent and twsted by ignorant legislators, and eventually will be so far out of whack(as if they aren't already).

Back
Top Bottom