New Acquisitions for May 2011

It's been a good year so far...

In April, I became the happy and proud new owner of a 14 inch barreled 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with ghost ring sights, a Hogue Youth stock, and a Surefire 621FGA Forend Weaponlight! This is my first NFA item that I did as a person-to-person (individual) purchase/transfer from a coworker and fellow LE officer without a trust.

aefc23d6-f9bf-bbf1.jpg

I just ordered and received a GG&G Mossberg 590 Single Point Sling Attachment from Natchez Shooting Supply and a 7-Shell Side Saddle from 3GunGear.com, which has a nylon saddle with elasticized shell holders backed with velcro that affixes to a base on the shotgun receiver. The side saddle carrier allows single-hand removal and attachment so that additional side saddle carriers can be carried on tactical vests or plate carriers. Both will be added before the weekend is over.

Within the last few weeks, I've also added all my pieces and parts to my 5.56 Rock River Arms LAR-15 Entry Tactical carbine, to include:

VLTOR E-MOD stock with mil spec buffer tube
Magpul ASAP sling adaptor
Magpul MBUS rear sight (in FDE)
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul MIAD pistol grip (in FDE)
Magpul AFG2 (angled foregrip) (in FDE)
Magpul RSA (rail sling attachment)
Magpul MS2 multi-mission sling (in FDE)
Magpul Enhanced Aluminum Trigger Guard
Millett DMS-1 1-4x24mm illuminated tactical scope
LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 1.93" QD mount LT-135
GG&G Tactical Modular Carbine Quad Rail
Insight M-6X LED tactical laser illuminator
Ambi selector lever

aefc23d6-022c-d200.jpg

After participating in an Appleseed shooting event this Saturday, I also have a Surefire MB556K muzzle break/suppressor adaptor that will be affixed (in CT we have to have them permanently attached).

Last edited:
Stag A2 stock kit came in today to complete the puzzle!!

74b558ee.jpg

Sightron 3-9x42mm sitting on top, temporarily while my bank account recovers [laugh] then I'll be looking for a 1-4x

Call me if you decide to sell that sightron, is it an S2 or S3. Nice build..... is that a battlecomp I see on that barrel?

Last edited:
GLOCK 37, Feels really good in the hand but still don't know how I feel about the GAP round
K20D3308.jpg
[/IMG]
K20D3309.jpg
[/IMG]

Technically this sig P229 is not new, but I add some upgrade to it. It's totally transform this beast. This P229RM born to run 40SW, but will take 357sig too. New upgrade include E2 slim grip and SRT trigger.

IMG_5132.jpg

Technically this sig P229 is not new, but I add some upgrade to it. It's totally transform this beast. This P229RM born to run 40SW, but will take 357sig too. New upgrade include E2 slim grip and SRT trigger.

IMG_5132.jpg

Looks good!

Where did you pick up the kits from? How long was the installation? Did you need a new mainspring?

Looks good!

Where did you pick up the kits from? How long was the installation? Did you need a new mainspring?

The installation is very easy. There is a pdf instruction on the web that make the installation more easier (though I think everyone can do it). I don't need a new mainspring as my sig 229 is a recent production handgun. It's already using the new mainspring. I just need to swap the necessary hardware that come with the grip kit.

To check if you need the new mainspring, just take off the grip and inspect the mainspring. If you have the black plastic mainspring seat, you already have the correct mainspring.

Well, this ain't one of them-thar newfangled arquebuses y'all are showing pictures of, but it IS a new acquisition and it DOES have a trigger, so...

My 50th birthday present (only 13 months late):

It's an 85LB claplock crossbow. Stock by Garvin the Slow, lock by Alchem, Inc, prod by Master Gladius (I believe). Assembly by a local SCA Grand Master Bowman with my thumb-fingered assistance (Richie insists that if he's going to sell me a crossbow, the buyer assists in the assembly so that he knows how to maintain it - it'll need new strings and new prods over the years as the old ones wear out. Next week I get to learn how to make my own bolts for it. The whole procedure was actually a lot of fun, almost as much fun as shooting it at the end of the day!)

IMAG0441.jpg

The stock is a laminate of cherry and rock maple, we think. It's definitely two very hard woods as we found out doing a slight adjustment to the angle of the prod.

IMAG0442.jpg

Instead of the usual rolling block (or nut) release, this uses a late medieval design called a "clap lock". Much simpler to make, much easier to adjust the trigger pull and release. And much easier to replace when I finally wear it out.
IMAG0443.jpg

Those two black inlays on the table are Micarta, to lengthen the life of the string.
IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

Well, this ain't one of them-thar newfangled arquebuses y'all are showing pictures of, but it IS a new acquisition and it DOES have a trigger, so...

My 50th birthday present (only 13 months late):

It's an 85LB claplock crossbow. Stock by Garvin the Slow, lock by Alchem, Inc, prod by Master Gladius (I believe). Assembly by a local SCA Grand Master Bowman with my thumb-fingered assistance (Richie insists that if he's going to sell me a crossbow, the buyer assists in the assembly so that he knows how to maintain it - it'll need new strings and new prods over the years as the old ones wear out. Next week I get to learn how to make my own bolts for it. The whole procedure was actually a lot of fun, almost as much fun as shooting it at the end of the day!)

IMAG0441.jpg

The stock is a laminate of cherry and rock maple, we think. It's definitely two very hard woods as we found out doing a slight adjustment to the angle of the prod.

IMAG0442.jpg

Instead of the usual rolling block (or nut) release, this uses a late medieval design called a "clap lock". Much simpler to make, much easier to adjust the trigger pull and release. And much easier to replace when I finally wear it out.
IMAG0443.jpg

Those two black inlays on the table are Micarta, to lengthen the life of the string.
IMAG0444.jpg

IMAG0445.jpg

That there is purty. How does she shoot?

Very sweet considering that I haven't had any time to customize it. The trigger pull is too long and a bit rough, so I'll be shortening the sear. On recommendation from Richie, I'll just shoot it in to smooth it up rather than stoning it.

Point-blank range he thinks will be about 35 yards - at 20 yards, it' shoots about 16" above point of aim. I just need to practice with it to learn what the trajectory is. But it groups pretty nice.

Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Very sweet considering that I haven't had any time to customize it. The trigger pull is too long and a bit rough, so I'll be shortening the sear. On recommendation from Richie, I'll just shoot it in to smooth it up rather than stoning it.

Point-blank range he thinks will be about 35 yards - at 20 yards, it' shoots about 16" above point of aim. I just need to practice with it to learn what the trajectory is. But it groups pretty nice.

Overall, I'm pleased with it.

Pretty cool, enjoy it!

We do... and the bunny huggers in Boston have set a friggin' SEASON on the little bastards!! I can't go 'yote hunting until October, I think. Season ended in March. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom