New 4473's

I have read on another Forum that new 4473's will be in use by this November. Among other changes the dealer will now be required to distinguish between complete firearms, and stripped recievers.
Has anyone seen the new 4473's yet, and if so is this true.

Haven't seen the new ones yet. It's about time that change is made. I have been writing it in the discription for years.

The new form is set up to make it easier on everyone who purchases say a pistol lower or assembles an AOW (think pistol instead of other in the box) and to catch those 'dealers' out there that are skirting taxes on manufacturing and breaking the law by not having an 07 FFL. Its about the FET more than anything though.

ATF Manufacturing of firearms guideline

Last edited:
That site shows a 2001 form? Jack.

oooops,

your right!

i saw something else, maybe an article about it changing in November 2008. i was at home when i read it.

i did a quick google and it looked similar.

sorry

i'll try to pull up my history later today.

edit: this link is shorter than the one i saw... i think the other link was batfe-dot-something-something...

The new 4473 on ATF site

A pdf of the new 4473 is at the following link.

http://www.atf.gov/press/2008press/100308atf-important-ffl-notice.htm

The major change that most people will notice are the boxes to mark or check Yes or No so that one does not have to write out the word. This should help retailers avoid the violations that they are cited for concerning this question.

There are other form issues and spacing that has changed as well.

From what I have read the concern seems to be that if the 4473 is marked as a Reciever, and @ some point there is another AWB, that reciever may not be grandfathered unless you can prove that it was a complete rifle before the ban.

Recievers would not be exempt under a new AWB (they say, not me) if one went into effect. (federal) The reasoning being that in order for a rec. to be exempt it would have to have been built into a complete gun.
Also, what I gather, no reciever can be transferred to anyone under 21 because of the open endedness of the wording being it could be potentially turned into a pistol.

Marc0 or others. According to this information, would it be a good idea to build any receivers and send in an FA-10 right away. Rather than keep an unbuilt receiver that would not be exempt, I think it might be better to build and register (FA-10) any serial numbered lowers in my possession.

We still don't know if there will be a ban, or if current production parts will be included in such a ban. I still have a feeling it might be better to register the gun now, rather than wait and see if the ban forbids building up the receiver.

With the NES lowers, how were they described on the 4473's at pickup time? The buyer never sees what the seller/transferer puts on the form.

I would strongly suggest the the buyer reads the 4473 and the FA 10 before signing. You could be signing a confession if an error is made. Also, I have given buyers copies of the 4473 if asked for them. Jack.

The 4473's were filled in as rec. only, multi caliber and crossed off as a long gun on top.
The whole AWB stuff in MA is gonna be moot anyway as our ban never expired.

The major change that most people will notice are the boxes to mark or check Yes or No so that one does not have to write out the word. This should help retailers avoid the violations that they are cited for concerning this question.
Gee, however will they manage to force law-abiding dealers out of business with an easy to fill out form. [rolleyes]

Am I off, or does it sound like this was drummed up precisely to stop people from stocking up on lowers?

Am I off, or does it sound like this was drummed up precisely to stop people from stocking up on lowers?

Could be, or...

It could be an attempt to make sure that all the dealers calling the FBI for NICS checks don't throw off the stats that the FBI compiles, or have to say they are selling a hand gun or long gun when they aren't, or that it actually helps people that want to build pistols or AOWs from stripped receivers, or the new popularity of semi auto guns that aren't rifles, like the semi 1919s and M2HBs... Etc, etc...

--EasyD

Back
Top Bottom