New 1911 problem

Ok, a belated update.

I did read in and consider myself capable of enough to detail strip the gun and did so. Clean as a whistle and mechanically correct as far as my novice eyes could tell. Regardless, I sent it out to S&W anyway because it was still messing up. Sent them a nice detailed report of what was happening. Explained that it was happening after 15-20 rounds had gone down the pipe, explained that it started with the hammer simply following the slide and not locking back, then after cleaning and adjusting the trigger it seemed like it was gone, then I took it to the range again and found it suffering from the same condition and intermittantly firing 2 or 3-round burst. Realizing a runaway gun is inherently dangerous to the operator, I figured best I leave the home gun smithing to the "experts" at S&W. They sent it back with an RO that simply read "Condition: Multiples, Solution: adjusted trigger bar"... HUH?!? I got it back dirty (to no doubt prove they had actually fired it) and found it suprisingly (though not really) STILL firing multiples. I'm gonna have to send it back again, I don't need a machine gun out of work, thinking of selling it off if this fix proves to be as useless as the last one. Any thoughts? Are they f'n me or jerking my chain on the repair or what?

O I got it back dirty (to no doubt prove they had actually fired it)

When we took the tour a few weeks ago, they said they had stopped cleaning the guns after repairing them. Apparently, they used to clean them very well, but people wouldn't believe that work had actually been done, and would send them back again.

Not really an excuse for the work to not actually be done, though...

I figured as much. Sounds like a lame policy. It occurred to me when I got it back, I said jeez, if the customers are saying their gun's too clean and the condition still exists, their concern shouldn't be leaving it DIRTY to prove they worked on it, it should be leaving it FIXED to prove they worked on it.

There are a bunch of reason for hammer follow. I had a 2011 that was following because the sear body was dragging on the safety. When the gun was clean, it was fine, when it got dirty (over 150 rounds) it would occasionally drag and follow

take it to a good local gunsmith ( I recommend Greg Derr) and have him fix the issue.

You can spend a few buck and get it done right the first time or spend month F'in around with S&W

LOL, maybe you've got some money you'd like to donate to me then. I just bought a house, spending money I don't need to on a gun I shouldn't have to is not in my budget right now.
As far as my OP, maybe someone has an opinion on whether or not they blew smoke up my ass on the first repair or not?

Back
Top Bottom