Never Been Hunting...

I could probably go hunting without any remorse (due to the fact that I'd eat what I shot)...but I think I'd have a problem with field dressing a deer. I could probably handle plucking and gutting a pheasant (given that someone walk me through it), but I don't think my shoulder could handle a shot gun. I've tried shooting them before (a 20 guage and a .410) and after a few rounds the shoulder was telling me I had played enough. Guess I'll have to stick to shooting paper.

dwarven1 said:
That's why I'm looking for someone who'd be interested in hunting with a couple of newbies - so if we do get a deer, we can learn how to gut it!

See, that's what I'm talking about. Maybe that now that we're having a NE Shooters Get together.

We can start a NE Shooters Hunting Club... Just a thought. I would be willing to take the class with a couple of you guys. Then go out and have someone that knows what's going on teach us the ways of the woods.

Help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope.

C-pher said:
Ok, so I got my first rifle at the age of 6. But I've never been hunting.

Don't have any gear other than a .308 or a 30-30. My shotgun is a trap gun, so I can't shoot slugs. I have a TC Encore, have the .308 for that. Along with the 45LC/.410.

Other than that, I used to do a lot of Fly Fishing. Closest to staking prey that I've got to hunting. You do have to be smooth and slick to sneak up on a Ranbow, but it's still fun.

I've thought about, but like Chris said...I don't think that it would be fun to do by yourself.

I have a Remington 870 with 28" vent rib modified choke barrel. I've put plenty of slugs through it no problem.

Nothing stopping you from using buckshot either.

C-pher said:
... And an old fridge that you would have to eat all the food, open and defrost every so often because it would build up with ice.

I really miss that place.

You mean people don't have those any more?

You can come defrost mine if you want.

Coyote33 said:
C-pher said:
... And an old fridge that you would have to eat all the food, open and defrost every so often because it would build up with ice.

I really miss that place.

You mean people don't have those any more?

You can come defrost mine if you want.

As long as it's filled with good food, that I get to eat, them I'm there. :D

I haven't hunted since I was a kid, and it was for pheasants/grouse then.

I'd go bird hunting again if the opportunity ever presented itself. Of course, I'd have to read up on the latest laws...

I will likely bag a few squirrels in the back yard with the pellet gun, and am also considering coyote hunting this year. For that, I will probably use again the shotgun unless I can find a .22 Hornet or maybe just maybe a .223 at a good price.

I'd LOVE to try deer hunting some time, and am considering a muzzleloader for that purpose, though I might just use the 870 as is or with a new deer-type barrel. As far as deer, I am not sure whether or not I could actually shoot one. I've eaten and will continue to eat venison, and have no problem with killing game either. I am just not sure if I can pull the trigger on a deer or not, but would like the opportunity to find out.

I am also in the group of not knowing what to do next if I shot one. The hunter safety class I had when I was a kid never mentioned that aspect, and it was a long time ago. We need a mentor or "sensei" program for we who were brought up in "the way", but have fallen astray.

I think I know some good hunting spots. I'm a decent enough shot. I have the equipment (need orange stuff though). I think I can sit still enough and maybe even bag one if I have the wherewithall. The trouble is, I just haven't put the pieces all together and actually tried it. Oh, and then while doing all of that, trying to stay within the confines of the state laws (no guns on a street, distances from houses/roads, seasons, sizes, tagging regs, etc.).

Maybe THAT is why I never pursued it, as it is overregulated to the point of being cumbersome.

WHEW! That's all for now.

Back
Top Bottom