Never Been Hunting...

Ok, so I got my first rifle at the age of 6. But I've never been hunting.

Don't have any gear other than a .308 or a 30-30. My shotgun is a trap gun, so I can't shoot slugs. I have a TC Encore, have the .308 for that. Along with the 45LC/.410.

Other than that, I used to do a lot of Fly Fishing. Closest to staking prey that I've got to hunting. You do have to be smooth and slick to sneak up on a Ranbow, but it's still fun.

I've thought about, but like Chris said...I don't think that it would be fun to do by yourself.

Well, it sounds like you've got enough guns. Your trap gun would probably work for Pheasants, but not grouse (ask Derek about pheasant hunting). A skeet gun works great for grouse, just so you know.

Now, you'll need proper clothing and woods gear. Don't go overboard, you really don't need some of the hyped stuff. That being said, don't skimp on boots.

YEa, that's the next thing. I would have to buy clotes. DO I just shop at an army surplus? Or do you have to have special hunting clothes?

I'm guessing that you would be better off with that bark cammo, rather than military cammo.

What kind of hunting, deer? Jeans, Red chamois shirt and a red vest (if no orange is required) with a red cap won't spook deer at 50 feet, if you don't move.

For camo, Army woodland camo works as good as anything. Check out Plaster's video, Ultimate Sniper if you can. I've got the VHS, and he talks about camo, and says woodland is as good as it gets.

Dry and warm is the second priority, right after safe. Wear orange, or at least red.

Well if we get another hunting dog,we'll have to see what we can do. Abrena my small cocker has a phenomenal nose just hates thick brush. Plus we haven't shot aound her yet either. She loves going to the field and working it though.

C-Pher... Just so you are aware... In MA I believe the minimum requirement is 50 square inches of hunter orange on your person. Also there is NO rifle hunting in MA. They have a season for Bow, one for shotgun, and one for primitive arms (black powder). You are allowed to use primitive arms in the shotgun season, and bow in all 3 seasons but shotgun is only allowed in shotgun season. This is for dear season only. I am not sure for the other seasons, but I believe the clothing requirements are the same in regards to the orange. But remember dear are color blind anyway.

As for someone to go with... If I end up with extra time in one of the seasons (not probable) I will be more than happy to have another hunting buddy... Other than that I am pretty tied to hunting with my girlfriends father.. Not that it's a bad thing though.. He has taken over 50 dear in his life and is a hard core hunter... He will stop at a dear scrape that I didn't even see, and when I go over to him, he is bent down feeling the dirt, and lord help you if there is some dear poo left behind.. He will pick it up, feel it, smell it, and tell you weather or not it was a doe or buck, and how long ago it was dropped... Pretty funny to watch actually! :D

Adam

Yea, could be.

<shudder>

Maybe I know now why I don't go hunting...

You know, I think that my part would be cleaning the animal. That's why I fish trout and bass. No real cleaning. Just chop, slice, and remove and it's ready to cook. Although I don't do too well with blood and guts. That's why I think that I've never really been gung ho to go hunting.

I think that the shooting would be fine. It's the cleaning up after that I would have a hard time with.

Yea, I'm a wimp. I can admit that. :D :D

If you don't do well with the insides... You wouldn't like field dressing a deer! It's pretty messy! I've only done it under the watchful eye of my grandfather who says "Ok boy, you're up... This here is the best part of hunting" Not to sound like a nut... But he's right. The whole experience of being out in the woods, stalking your prey, killing it, then using your own two hands to dress it.. Something very primitive and satisfying about the whole ordeal! It's still instinctive for us humans to go back to our hunter/gatherer roots. Lets you know that you even in todays modern convenience world, can still provide.

Adam

Yup, definate on delivering a calf.or other such animal. Adam your grandfather sounds just like the way my father-in-law was.

When I worked on farms up here, we let the cow do her thing, usually in the summer, so usually out in a pasture.

In Germany, they keep the cows in the barn all the time, so, I got to help deliver a few, after my friends discovered I wasn't a city boy. The C-Section was definitely different. Breached birth, so we helped the vet open up the side of the cow. The kids were really young at that time, so they didn't get to watch that one. First time I'd seen staples instead of stitches as well. Kinda thought that was funny when the Vet said he was going to staple her together. At first I thought I'd screwed up the translation. Nope, I was right, staples.

Yea, you would think that I would be better at it. Being that my grandparents had a farm. My grandma would get a chicken, break it's neck and clean it for dinner.

But no, I have to get squrimish around blood and guts. Hell, I have to pull my shirt up around my nose when I'm changing my daughter. And she's laughing at me because I'm still going, "WHACCHHHTT!" the whole time.

MrsWildweasel said:
Okay, note to self remember not to have you around when we slaughter pigs. [lol]

Do you sell them? We have our annual Pig Roast on Sept 17. Used to use a local farmer, but he got out of the business. Now we get our pigs from Blood Farm in Groton, but would love to get a farm raised and slaughtered pig again.

One of the reasons I love living out of the city is that I can get farm fresh eggs, milk, veggies, and sometimes meat. (ever have veal steaks just out of the aging rack? ummmm.)

But I digress.....

C-pher, I totally understand your feeling. I've done a few field dressings (well, helped) when I was younger and it never failed to produce that queezy feeling. But once it's cleaned and butchered properly, it's fine. I also have no problem with the whole pig I cook each year. Even injecting the BBQ and rubbing the dry herbs inside and out don't bother me at all. As with anything, you get used to it. It's probably the very fact that most people do not slaugher their own food that so many of the anti-hunting and animal rights groups get such support. You tak to people who grew up on a real family farm and you hear about the time they learned that there are two types of animals - pets and food. And it's a lesson you learn the hard way.

One of the other reasons I never wanted to go hunting alone was the field dressing and lugging of the carcass to the vehicle. (talking deer and bear)

By the way, Bear is one animal that is legal to hunt with a handgun in MA. It's an interesting meat, and requires some good marinade to do it justice. If you've had moose, it's similar.

Have not had any experience with waterfoul, but have heard plenty of stories as many at GOAL are waterfoul hunters.

Chris

At this point don't have pigs. Hoping to raise them again next year. Have to build a way bigger pen out back,since they rototill so nicely. I can ask my sister in law where she gets her pig for the pig roast she does every year. I personally like raising my own animals that way I know what they have been fed. Hoping to raise 2 pigs again next year. See what happens.

Chris, if you go duck or goose hunting, stuff the bird with apples, oranges and onions, then roast. Throw the stuffing out after. It removes grease and adds a nice flavor to the bird.

Yea, I don't have any issues with meat once it's there. I can chop up a side of beef if I had to. It's the innards that I have a problem with.

Hell, I pretty much knock off the horns and hold a lighter under it when I eat meat. I LOVE steak Tar-Tar.

But I don't know how I'd do with field dressing an animal.

When I was little on my grandma's farm. I would sit on the porch and drink a bottle of ne-hi while she was getting dinner ready. That or I was fishing on thier lake with macaroni and cheese as bait. I'll tell you, that worked great. Or I was plinking cans on sticks with my .22 in the back yard. Of course they had a 180 acre farm in Kentucky. Those were the days. They still had an outhouse, and a well where the gutters of the house would drain. A big barn for drying Tabacco. And an old fridge that you would have to eat all the food, open and defrost every so often because it would build up with ice.

I really miss that place.

Yeah I know. It'll just be a salad. Glad you're feeling better. I also had a late breakfast. I'm one of those that can't eat right away in the morning. I have my coffee,then an hour or two,something to eat.

I used to regularly while active duty, though not at home. At Annual Training I eat Breakfast, while TDY I eat Breakfast, at Bike Rallys I eat Breakfast and when in Deer Camp, I eat Breakfast, but not usually during a normal workday.

When I do eat Breakfast, it's usually eggs and such, never cold cereal. I've found that milk doesn't like me anymore.

Nickle said:
When I do eat Breakfast, it's usually eggs and such, never cold cereal. I've found that milk doesn't like me anymore.

Try a product called "Lactaid" or the generic is "Lactase Enzyme". Works like a charm if you're lactose intolerant.

Back to topic... I've never cleaned a deer, and I suspect that I'm going to be real squeamish about it... but hunting is something I want to do, so I'll just have to deal with it, I guess. (That's why I'm looking for someone who'd be interested in hunting with a couple of newbies - so if we do get a deer, we can learn how to gut it!)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom