NES CSI 9mm Makarov

J.A.C

NES Member
Well I got a Polish Radom p-64 pistol and shot it last Sunday for the first time. Picking up the brass it looked like it went through hell. I noticed a bulge on the lower portion of the cases. Once I got a stove pipe and the shell was torn apart. That's when I put it away for the day and switched to the sig.

I was shooting PPU not the best ammo but I didn't expect that. This is the first time I've had this happen to me. Do you think it was more due to the ammo or the gun.

I know I still have some of the spent brass I will try to take pics.

Oh snap. I think that caliber is super hot and tears up casings. My mosin shoots a hot Russian rifle round and the cases crack a lot and bulge

The only 9mm makarov gun I have is a CZ82 but I only shoot the cheap $9-$10 a box steel cased makarov ammo. Seems to work great, never tried the PPU makarov ammo. But their 30-06, 7.62x25, 7.62x54r, 30 carbine and 44 magnum ammo has shot well in my experience and great brass to reload.

that's odd, it's a blowback pistol but bulge is just unusual. I never seen one on any Mak brass and PPU usually pretty good quality. I'd check the chamber, round fitting in it and how well slide goes into battery. It sounds like round isn't all the way in.

I think it would chamber similar to .40 in a 45 because isn't the Makarov actually wider than 9mm. But anyways ppu is hit or miss I have a 10mm and ppu is half the cost of normal ammo so I picked a bunch up and then Googled the ammo. Seems to be at least in their 10mm offerings quality control is a little lacking. Not totally bashing the ammo just seemed about for every 30 or so good you'd hear about double powder loads. Primer only loads bad box here or there all kinds of scary to shoot stuff. I realize sooner or later every company even top notch makers have issues. I did a lot of research on it however due to a 10mm blowing up in my hand seemed no bueno. And ppu had more. Might want to try a box of something else before you get too worried. If your in the Worcester area I know the non sucky place on 20 in Auburn usually stocks a box or 3

Thanks for the responses. Yes it was definitely 9mm makarov. The PPU was the only stuff I found at the last Marlboro show. I will thoroughly check the gun and look for different ammo to try. Now just need to try the Tokarev I got too. These were my first two purchases with my C&R

It's tough to see the bulge (that's what she said) on the lower left of the shell in the pic. The second pic is of the shell doing its best Rosie O'Donnell after a Buffet impression.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
it looks like bad seating or premature eje...ction. Like I said, blow back guns will not baby brass, but this def abnormal. I have a lot of maks, shot PPUs through them and I never seen shit like that. Take the slide off, put a round into it, see how it seats and how the chamber is closed.

it looks like bad seating or premature eje...ction. Like I said, blow back guns will not baby brass, but this def abnormal. I have a lot of maks, shot PPUs through them and I never seen shit like that. Take the slide off, put a round into it, see how it seats and how the chamber is closed.

Will do

I have both a CZ82 and the P64. I bought 1000 rounds of the Silver Bear ammo for it. I didn't notice anything unusual about the spent casings. I also had a box of more expensive brass ammo for it (before I found the silver bear) and I kept the brass so I had more of a look at it than the aluminum stuff I just swept up and threw away. It all seemed fine coming out of the P64. No failures of the pistol or casings that I saw. I love the trigger on that little gun, pretty snappy little thing too.

I am going to email Classic Firearms.

Post a pic or two here of a new round sitting in the barrel before you clean it. It may be that there's some grit or a burr or something preventing your round from fully seating, or you have a really generous ramp into the chamber. PPU brass is generally good stuff.

Also - visually check your PPU 9x18mm Mak ammo vs a regular 9x19mm parabellum round - they should be 1mm (~0.040") shorter on the brass. You can absolutely get a regular 9x19 round to fit in there, I make 9x18 ammo by cutting down regular 9mm brass and resizing. Different diameter projo tho.

55_grain

I was having trouble uploading the pic last night but here it is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 59
^ Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the way the round is seating in the chamber.

The P64 is a pretty tough, quality gun. I have one and I've never had one problem with it besides the safety engaging while firing which I fixed by altering a 1911 safety plunger and using that instead. No issues after that.

Could be that you just got a bad batch of ammo but I've never had any problems with PPU and I've shot a lot of it through my Makarovs, P64 and when I used to have a CZ82.

weak spring maybe? slide moving back too soon causing a partial ejection while the powder is still burning?

the case shouldn't rupture like that if it's supported by the chamber.....

yeah not sure, I want to find some different ammo and give it another try and a thorough cleaning.

Thanks Msant. I might take you up on that. I just want to clean it and go over it thoroughly and they the ammo again to see if it still happen. If so I would like to trade for some different ammo just to rule it out

Back
Top Bottom