Need some advice concerning 1911

Guys,

I'm looking for some advice and info on the Colt or Springfield 1911. I tried one at Braintree Rifle & Pistol and fell in love. I know I can't purchase one in Mass. thanks to our wonderful gun laws, but I can buy one if someone in the state that already has one or if it was manufactured before 1998 (I think). I know that S&W makes one, but I'm sure it's not a true 1911 (something to do with an extractor?). Any advice on how I should go about trying to get one?[grin]

Colts can be had if you look around hard enough. Springfields seem a lot rarer in MA.

FWIW there is nothing wrong with an S+W 1911, even if it has an extractor on the outside... they seem to work great, overall, for the money... I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

-Mike

Thanks DrGrant I think I'll take a ride to four seasons Sat. It's a shame, I noticed someone from NES had a Colt 80 series for sale a few days ago, but it wasn't available for long.

Go for the Smith and Wesson. A purist could argue that it's not a "true 1911" because of the external extractor and the firing pin safety. S&W's external extractors are as reliable or more than the GI style internal ones. Series 80 Colts have a firing pin block also, and IMO the S&W version is better because it doesn't affect the trigger (operated by the grip safety). I'm not sure about Springfield.

If you find an excellent deal on a Colt or Springfield, go for it. If you'd have to pay more for a used Colt or Springfield than a new Smith, get the Smith.

Guys,

I'm looking for some advice and info on the Colt or Springfield 1911. I tried one at Braintree Rifle & Pistol and fell in love. I know I can't purchase one in Mass. thanks to our wonderful gun laws, but I can buy one if someone in the state that already has one or if it was manufactured before 1998 (I think). I know that S&W makes one, but I'm sure it's not a true 1911 (something to do with an extractor?). Any advice on how I should go about trying to get one?[grin]

You should check out Zero Hour Arms, they always seem to have at least one Colt 1911 lying around. They had four or five when I went last Sat. The only time I've ever seen a Springfield Armory 1911 in a gun shop in this state was at Four Seasons, but it was all raced out and the frame was drilled and tapped for a scope rig.

If you're willing to drop the money on a Colt, though, I'd definitely take a trip to Zero Hour Arms.

That's all I needed was a little advice from a couple of members that know there stuff. Thanks guys, it's gonna be a S&W 1911. On a side note, since I've started getting into shooting I can't stop spending money PLEASE MAKE ME STOP!

There is nothing like a Colt. It is a real 1911. A S&W is a 1911 style pistol. They're both good for plinking, target, and defense purpose. But if you are looking to add a genuine 1911 to fill a spot in your collection then the Colt is a way to go. But in the same token, with the off the shelf reliability and accuracy that I've seen from the Smiths, if I were to carry one it would be a S&W.

Last edited:
If you can find and afford a good condition Colt (either WWII or something in MA preban), go with it. But I'll reiterate what has already been said, there is nothing wrong with a S&W.

What do you think the difference would be price wise between a Colt and S&W? I'm just looking for an estimate.

Depends on the exact model you buy, and with the Colt, what you can get your hands on in this state, most of em are used. I've seen some Colt Series 80s for $750-800 and others for well over a grand. With the SW1911, for the base model, once in a great while you can find a used one for under $600, not sure what they're going for new.

-Mike

What do you think the difference would be price wise between a Colt and S&W? I'm just looking for an estimate.

Depends on the Colt. A 70s series GI could go from $800-1200. Smiths brand new last time I looked were around $800.

S&W seems to be fine but, call me old fashioned, I'm in love with JMB's design.

Colts can be had for about $200 more than you'd pay for a new one outside Mass. A good condition Smith can be had for $700, sometimes less whereas a good condition colt will run you $900+ at the least.

Get the Smith, have fun with it and save your pennies for a Colt, Dan Wesson or a Springfield down the road.

Actually some of the very first 1911's designed by John Brown had a external extractors and the Army didn't like it so he had to change it, to get the Army to accept it.

The reason was, they wanted a pistol that the average soldier could take apart easily. So it it was redsigned by John Brown to have a internal extractor.

External extractors are not exclusive to just S&W. Over the years Kimber and Dan Wesson have used that design too.

S&W is so sure about their external extractors that they will not sell them on the open market. They tell you to send it back and they will fix it for free.

They seem to have a proven system with their external extractor, I've never heard of any having problems with one.

Would it be mean to post pics of my Baer TRS and SA TRP? [smile] Sorry, the dark side comes out sometimes. Steve

I have 2 S&W 1911's and they work great. Also S&W has some of the best customer service.

Supermoto, if your having that problem I would send it back. Is that after the round is fired?

I have a bunch of Colt 1911's and I also have 3 S&W 1911's, one is the Commander size PD the other 2 are full size 1911's and have never had that happen to me with any 1911. In fact in 40 years of shooting 1911's that's never happened to me.

Supermoto, if your having that problem I would send it back. Is that after the round is fired?

Its on extraction of the fired round. The extractor is not controling the round during link down, I haven't spent enough time looking into the problem, whether its brass, mag, extractor profile. I rarely shoot to slide lock so I don't see the problem often.

I have zero confidence in S&W smiths.

Back
Top Bottom