• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need Gunsmith Recommendations

Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of projects I'd like to have a gunsmith look at, and I'm hoping the brain trust can recommend some.

I recently purchased a pre-94 Colt AR. Due to it being shortly before the ban, Colt sawed-off the bayonet lug for reasons. I'd like to have a new one put on while keeping the barrel (its a 1/7 Chrome HBAR and I'm pretty fond of it). Is this even possible or would I be better off spending my time and money getting another barrel?

Thanks,

An AR noob

This is fairly easy - you replace the sight tower. Since the cross pins holding the tower on are drilled with the barrel, it is pretty much impossible to drill an original design sight tower and fit it to your existing barrel. That's the bad news. The good news if you can remove the existing sight tower and replace it with a clamp-on style with the bayonet lug. One such model is A.R.M.S. Silhouette #41-B-L - Folding Front Sight Barrel Mounted, With Bayonet Lug.

The only limitation of clamp on towers (which contain an integral gas block) is the screws can work loose under extended full auto fire.

This is fairly easy - you replace the sight tower. Since the cross pins holding the tower on are drilled with the barrel, it is pretty much impossible to drill an original design sight tower and fit it to your existing barrel. That's the bad news. The good news if you can remove the existing sight tower and replace it with a clamp-on style with the bayonet lug. One such model is A.R.M.S. Silhouette #41-B-L - Folding Front Sight Barrel Mounted, With Bayonet Lug.

The only limitation of clamp on towers (which contain an integral gas block) is the screws can work loose under extended full auto fire.

Isn't the front sight the gas block too? Unless there is something different with a Colt it's just a pinned on part.

PSA AR15 A2 Front Sight Gas Block w/ Bayonet Lug

kpc_5504.jpg

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone know of a gunsmith that is good at installing APEX trigger kits on M&P 2.0 between Waltham and Worcester?

How much should I expect to pay for such a service?

I am sure that this is not the most complex job, but I really don't have experience in this area nor a lot of time to mess with it, so seeking a professional. Thanks

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone know of a gunsmith that is good at installing APEX trigger kits on M&P 2.0 between Waltham and Worcester?

I am sure that this is not the most complex job, but I really don't have experience in this area nor a lot of time to mess with it, so seeking a professional. Thanks
Four Seasons in Woburn says they will do it for $90 plus tax.

Try Chris at Precision Point in Woburn.

you want an apex in a 2.0? unless S&W is installing the gorilla heavy trigger springs in the 2.0, every 2.0 i've felt was nice and probably wouldn't much benefit from an apex. it's an easy installation. the most complex part is drifting the rear sight to exchange the firing pin plunger. wherever you go just be sure they are doing this step...i've seen one apex "job" that left the factory firing pin plunger in place which is pathetic.

if your'e near worcester i would check with pullman arms.

you want an apex in a 2.0? unless S&W is installing the gorilla heavy trigger springs in the 2.0, every 2.0 i've felt was nice and probably wouldn't much benefit from an apex. it's an easy installation. the most complex part is drifting the rear sight to exchange the firing pin plunger. wherever you go just be sure they are doing this step...i've seen one apex "job" that left the factory firing pin plunger in place which is pathetic.

if your'e near worcester i would check with pullman arms.
Thank you. Factory MA Compliant 2.0 and yes the trigger sucks.

Does that include full-semi auto as well?

Does that include full-semi auto as well?
Use a decent loctite and check it from time to time and you probably won't have a problem. The situation I am familiar with was a military qualification where they ran thousands of rounds full auto through a gun with a screw clamped sight tower and the weapon was disqualified because the screws loosened.

And there are at least three systems:

- Pinned
- Clamp on w/screws
- Set Screws

(I dislike the later since it craps out the barrel with screw head scratches)

I have original colt sight towers in stock with the bayo lug that I can install on your original colt barrel without drilling new taper pin holes or modifying the original barrel if that's something that your interested in doing

northeast arms Rt1 south Peabody
978-826-5457

I have original colt sight towers in stock with the bayo lug that I can install on your original colt barrel without drilling new taper pin holes or modifying the original barrel if that's something that your interested in doing

978-826-5457
Most interesting. How do you that?

They'll still do it for less than $135 then. I just can't remember what they charged, but it was reasonable. I had already bought my kit too.
Yup. Took your advice and went down to Pullman today. They charged me $45 for the install. From what I can tell from dry fire, it’s pretty damn nice!

Thank you for the recommendation. Not only do they do work at a good price , they are also fighting Dimples’ BS!

Yup. Took your advice and went down to Pullman today. They charged me $45 for the install. From what I can tell from dry fire, it’s pretty damn nice!

Thank you for the recommendation. Not only do they do work at a good price , they are also fighting Dimples’ BS!

Happy to hear it! I love mine. Night and day difference.

978-826-5457

Dammit Steve you really are good at separating me form my money, I'm interested. I don't suppose you have any bayonets to go with it?

Last edited:
Uhhh ... me thinks it's more properly called the Front Sight Block (FSB) or Front Sight Block Assembly. And ditto the good word on the guys from NE Arms in Peabody.

Back
Top Bottom