• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need case trimmer recommendations

Huh?

Except for trim length, there's no set up involved. Setting the length is so easy, I can't see needing more than one.
Jim, since they are inexpensive I would rather set it and forget it but it is not neccesary. It was just a suggestion.

My “Portable” Wilson Trimmer Project . . .

These are the few simple steps taken to make my portable Wilson trimmer.

As I've stated in an earlier post, I wanted the Wilson trimmer to be portable so I could use it while watching TV or out on the balcony enjoying nature or some sounds and not just stationed in the reloading area. I've posted a few easy steps that I used that may give others an idea of how they might set up their trimmer, if they also want portability.

DSCN2655-1.jpg

The trimmer with holes drilled and countersunk through the frame, with screws.

DSCN2658-1.jpg

Trimmer mounted on the plastic-board that’s cut to size. The plastic-board seems about triple the weight of regular wood which I like because it makes it more stable but regular wood should be fine also.

DSCN2678-1.jpg

I used 1/2” rubber feet to raise the trimmer some and also help keep it from sliding around. I drilled and put small screws through them to hold them, knowing full well the glue tape that was on them wouldn’t hold them on very long.

DSCN2677-1.jpg

Installed rubber feet.

DSCN2673-1.jpg

Ah, my working portable trimmer. Now to attach the two trimmer holders to the unit so they’ll stay together.

DSCN2679-1-1.jpg

Why not use the casings that the holders are designed for? That’s what I did, drilled appropriate size holes in the base of the shells and attached shells to unit with brass screws.

DSCN2681-1.jpg

I’ve got my .30-06 and 30-30 shell holders installed with plenty of room to add whatever shell holders comes next.

DSCN2685-1.jpg

Top view of Wilson trimmer unit.

DSCN2684-1.jpg

Finished trimmer unit, with the possible exception of drilling a couple holes to hold the allen wrenches, then I would have it all in one unit. [coffee]

Last edited:
Nice!

It looks like you have unresized cases in those holders. You probably know this, but you have to resize them before you trim them.

Nice!

It looks like you have unresized cases in those holders. You probably know this, but you have to resize them before you trim them.

Thanks for the heads-up on sizing before trimming, (you’ve got a sharp eye) knowing that this is my first trimmer. I’ve heard and read that it should be done but I was originally reloading all my rifle cases just the one time after the first shooting and thought I wouldn’t be in any trouble that way.

Now that I have acquired large batches of, supposedly, once fired cases I surely want to know that they are at the correct length so it was high time I purchased a trimmer. I also bought a new reloading manual from Midway, Speer (#14), and have been rereading much that my older (#11) had imparted upon me. It has been years since I’ve reloaded so it’s nice to go over things and refresh the ol‘ brain cells.

I just ordered a Wilson case trimmer and a handful of case holders from Midway. Of course, with all the positive comments from NESers, there must have been a run on them in the warehouse as the .223 holder is on backorder. (chuckle)
If this new trimmer works out as well as everyone says, I'll give my old RCBS trimmer to my daughter.

EddieCoyle ~ Scrivener ~ HardJeepGuy

Thank you for your kind comments. The unit did come out a little better than my usual butcher jobs, I’m pleased to say. [grin]

I just ordered a Wilson case trimmer and a handful of case holders from Midway. Of course, with all the positive comments from NESers, there must have been a run on them in the warehouse as the .223 holder is on backorder. (chuckle)
If this new trimmer works out as well as everyone says, I'll give my old RCBS trimmer to my daughter.

Cledus J. Crabb ~ It would be nice to hear your comments on the Wilson in comparison to the RCBS once you start using it. I was a little surprised to read that your daughter reloads, I don’t know why except that I’ve haven’t heard of a girl reloading. I’m sure there are females that reload just that I haven’t seen any.

She's been shooting since she was nine and she started doing Civil War skirmishing at age 15; blowing through 120 rounds of .58 rifle-musket ammo every other weekend. So, after casting minie balls and charging countless powder tubes over the years, it was a natural progression for her to get into .223, handloading and shooting.
She shoots at least 50 rounds a week when we start our Winter matches in November. I've got all I can do to get mine made up, so it's not at all uncommon to hear her all hours of the night down stairs making up rounds for the next day.

Back
Top Bottom