• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need case trimmer recommendations

Scrivener

Banned
As in MANUAL, please. I'm not dropping beaucoup bucks for the magic Dillon one.

I had an RCBS some time back; is there a "hot case trimmer" out I should look at? All I need to do is trim .223 and .30-'06 cases.

Thanks

Can't help with trimmer but I have a bunch of .223 brass you can have if you like. I just have to sort it.

I use an RCBS trimmer. It's a manual timmer- you clamp the case at the rim, and trim the desired preset length by rotating a little handle. It works fine but it's still a PITA. Fortunately it's not something you need to do often. I've only used it for .223 to date and my reloads worked just fine. [smile]

I use the Lyman and I also added on the Power adapter It's a great manual trimmer, that's easy to use and quick, and the power adapter lets you use any power drill to speed things up.

I've got that same Lyman trimmer with the Power Adapter - no major complaints. The only minor complaint would be that if I leave the empty storage hole for the pilot I'm using under where I'm cutting, it fills up with brass shavings.

I like the power adapter for doing large numbers of cases, and the Universal chuckhead hasn't failed me yet.

I had an RCBS that I thought was OK, then I bought an L.E. Wilson and could not be happier.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=487924&t=11082005

It's only $30, and the holders for each caliber are about $8 each. It's much faster and easier to use than the type that hold the base of the cartridge in a collet, and it does not require piloted cutters like the others (the same cutter trims all calibers).

Most importantly, it does a beautiful job on the cases.

I have a Redding and bought the Titanium Nitride cutter works very well. There's videos on you tube about the trimmer from Possum Hollw you might want to checkout. I believe they are $20 each at midway.

Last edited:
I use an RCBS power trimmer (about $180 from Natchez) and couldn't be happier with it. The trimmer trims, chamfers, and deburrs in one operation.

If anyone else besides me couldn't figure out how the LE Wilson trimmer worked from Midway's picture, there's a much better one here on Wilson's website. They have deburring tools and neck reamers and a bunch of other bits for the trimmer as well.

I like that design, I may have to get one. I'll hang on to the Lyman for all the mutant cartridges I shoot, but I can see a Wilson in 223, 308 and maybe 280 Ackley in my future.

Thanks for suggesting the Wilson trimmer, guys!

I swear by my Wllson.

At $36.- for the trimmer (the case holders and accesories are very reasonably price) it is the toughest ...easiest... most accurate... least expensive trimmer made.

Last edited:
EddieCoyle ~ I’ve been looking and reading about trimmers for quite a while now and I believe you have the definitive answer for what I need and at a decent price at Midway. Thanks for the heads up. Just wondering if it’s possible to use a “C” clamp or vise grips to attach it to a table temporarily?

Last edited:
EddieCoyle ~ I’ve been looking and reading about trimmers for quite a while now and I believe you have the definitive answer for what I need and at a decent price at Midway. Thanks for the heads up. Just wondering if it’s possible to use a “C” clamp to attach it to a table temporarily?

No. In order to clamp it to a table, you'd need to clamp it by the bed of the device, which can't be done because the case holder rests on the bed.

I clamp mine into a machinist's vise, which I then clamp in a Black and Decker Workmate. A company called Sinclair makes a rail onto which the trimmer can be clamped.

MOUNTING HOLES?

MOUNTING.gif

XXX-XX-order2.gif

I can’t find mounting holes for the Wilson case trimmer in any photos. I was wondering if it has a couple mounting screw (bolt) holes through the frame? If it doesn’t, is there any reason that I couldn’t drill a couple and countersink them so the tops of the screws or bolts would be flat and not interfere with the workings of the trimmer? I could mount the unit to a block of wood if this trimmer could be able to be held down with the bolts. Thanks.

There are no mounting holes, but the threaded holes for the two "bushings" at the ends could be used with longer machine screws. That is what the Sinclair mount uses.

If you are making something up though, just drilling through the middle is easy enough.

Thanks gents for your help, it looks like when Midway gets the trimmer back in stock and sends it out I’ll be experimenting to see just what works out best for me. I want it so I can carry it in to the living room once and a while and trim up some casing while watching the tube. Most of the time I’ll be using it with my loading equipment.

I find it strange that Midway sells the Wilson trimmer case holders for either new brass or used (fired) brass and also have them that aren’t marked for either? I take that to mean you can use it for both, right? [hmmm]

I just bought the Wilson trimmer on Midway on sale for $30 with C&R discount. That C&R pays for itself pretty quickly!

I just bought the Wilson trimmer on Midway on sale for $30 with C&R discount. That C&R pays for itself pretty quickly!

Arrived this evening. Well built product and a unique shell holding mechanism. Dont have my calipers here with me, so a review will have to wait.

FINALLY ordered mine tonight, w/the two case holders.

While a power trimmer might be nice w/all the .223 I have, I don't need it all at once and I don't need to do large volumes each time. The "power attachment" looked like a joke, especially for that price. I have nut drivers already.

I'm thinking I'll use my Vacu-Vise to hold it to the kitchen table and trim cases while watching tv.

FINALLY ordered mine tonight, w/the two case holders.

While a power trimmer might be nice w/all the .223 I have, I don't need it all at once and I don't need to do large volumes each time. The "power attachment" looked like a joke, especially for that price. I have nut drivers already.

I'm thinking I'll use my Vacu-Vise to hold it to the kitchen table and trim cases while watching tv.

Just received my L.E. Wilson trimmer yesterday from Midway and I must comment it seems very substantial, to say the least. I also ordered two shell holders with it like you but one came in marked for a “30-30 REM” !? I had ordered a 30-30 Win. case holder. I believe they marked the holder wrong but I’ll check a few sites first. The purchase order states that it’s a 30-30 Win. so we shall see.

Now the hunt goes forward to find my calipers, micrometer and drill . . .man, when will I ever get organized? The drill is to tap and countersink a couple holes in the trimmer base so I can mount it to a block of wood and the whole thing in a container to catch excess brass shavings. Then I should be able to work with it in any comfortable environ, not just clamped to a bench.

For those like myself that have never used a trimmer, there’s a decent You-Tube video with a gent showing the process of trimming brass using the 50 BMG Wilson trimmer and primer pocket reamer:

Last edited:
I would also recommend the LE Wilson. They are on sale now at Midway for $30.00
You can buy one for each caliber and have them set up and ready to go.

I would also recommend the LE Wilson. They are on sale now at Midway for $30.00
You can buy one for each caliber and have them set up and ready to go.

Huh?

Except for trim length, there's no set up involved. Setting the length is so easy, I can't see needing more than one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom