Need Advice - Pre Ban Colt SP1 AR15, what do you guys think???

I'm pretty new to the rifle scene and want to pick up an AR15 soon. I recently contacted an old friend of mine that once told me that he wanted to get rid of an AR 15 that he had. Come to find out it's an all original Colt SP1 .223 cal, SN# SP1490** - date of manufacture 1969, in mint condition with less than 1000 rounds fired. It has the triangular forend, no forward assist on the bolt, threaded barrel with flash suppressor, bayonet lug, includes bayonet, and one 30 round magazine and four 20 round magazines also.

What do you guys think? He wants $1000.00 cash for it. Is this more desirable than your average pre-ban AR? Being that it's 40 years old is it as good as say a newer AR? Can I modify this thing like a newer AR, like installing a floating forearm, different barrel, colapsable tactical stock, sight rail, flip up front and rear sights, etc?

Another idea I had was to just buy the Colt SP1 pre-ban and not touch it at all, then buy something new like a S&W M&P15 or a YHM Diamond Spectre that has the tactical features that I like so much.

Any advice or info you can give will be appreciated.

No, I would not buy it for that price. All ARs are EVIL. Tell me where it is and I will take care of it for you.[smile]

Seriously. Congrats on the EBR, definately worth it. Grab it before he comes to his senses. Welcome to the board.

Buy it...You could keep it pristine and a safe queen, which many will suggest. I however feel safe queens are a tragedy...I think you should shoot it and enjoy it. You could also buy a variety of uppers and switch back and forth between the classic lines of the old SP-1 and the advanced features of todays modern carbines...

I'm going to buy it either way. I was just wondering if this thing is really special or desirable other than for the obvious reason being the pre-ban? What do you think it's worth, really? Fixxah, what's an EBR????

Last edited:
First models of anything are much more desirable than later ones.

If you mod it, you will spend $500 or so in addition to the $1000 and you'll end up with an $800 gun.

Buy it but DO NOT bitch it up. Use it as it is and take care of it. You'll get more than your money back when you sell it.

I'm going to buy it either way. I was just wondering if this thing is really special or desirable other than for the obvious reason being the pre-ban? What do you think it's worth, really? Fixxah, what's an EBR????

Economist's answer: $1000
The answer to the question you were really asking: $1200 - $1800 depending on A LOT of factors. Condition being a major one.

EBR = Enhanced Battle Rifle

Sounds like a very nice rifle! Keep it stock and shoot it! And go green so you can bring it to a member's shoot!

First models of anything are much more desirable than later ones.

If you mod it, you will spend $500 or so in addition to the $1000 and you'll end up with an $800 gun.

Buy it but DO NOT bitch it up. Use it as it is and take care of it. You'll get more than your money back when you sell it.

I have yet to see a Pre-Ban AR15 for $800, modded or not. I would be able to change it back to stock also you know, I'm not selling the stock parts. I like the idea of buying a new style upper.

Back
Top Bottom