Need a new spotting scope

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so I had the Konus 20x60x80 it has done well by me BUT it has been put out of service.
So I need to replace it.
I would like to know if the Celestron with LER eye piece is a better scope for the few hundred more or should I save and get something else?
I was happy with the konus but honestly the eye relief was good vs many other scopes but I hope the celestron is better it claims 32mm that's huge over the konus.
Thoughts...

I have a Zhumel 20-60×80 as a spare and is really a pretty good scope. Best part is its only $200 or so.

I have the Celestron 22-66 100mm without the LER and (other than eye relief) it is a good spotting scope. I haven't used it past 200 yet and know it won't spot .223 holes at 600. The LER intrigues me, hopefully you try it and report back. [smile]

Nothing shows holes at 600. Damn lucky if you can see them at 2 or 3.

I can on very special days pick up 22 holes in the white with the Konus although the time I see them it's to late !
The konus eye relief is ok it takes a bit of work and set up to use it easily.
I'm not looking for holes in the target all that often I can see 30 cal holes well at 200 yards especially when I shoot my flat nose cast loads. Leaves a nice wadcutter like hole.
I ordered the Celestron I will give a review .....I was going to buy a Kowa but really just could not do it. I was planning on spending this chunk of change on reloading supplies... so at least now I will have a scope that is better than the konus and still have some money left for bullets.

I'm more concerned with eye relief. If you ever have to lift your glasses to see through a spotting scope you need more eye relief. Lifting my glasses while in prone position is not fun. Spending time trying to see through the scope with poor eye relief is no fun ..... being able to just turn my head and get a view through the scope....nice. I was going to up grade anyway at some point I was just forced to do so sooner than later. If it's a nice scope I can always get the 20x60 zoom eye piece for other uses. The konus was good enough to see a few of Jupiter moons last year. Was cool to see that a first for me and my daughter.
I want to get a better star gazed also.

Last edited:
A lot depends on what the intended use of the scope is. For general range work where you are trying to save trips back and forth to your target, a zoom lens might work. I say might because usually the higher magnification, the higher distortion, worse eye relief, etc..
For use in competition, a fixed power in the 25x range is the standard. Generally not trying to see bullet holes, but instead looking at mirage, shot values/placement, neighbors targets, number board, etc..
My spare scope has a 20-60 zoom, but it's almost useless above 30x.

I bought a 20-60x80 45 degree angle scope from B&H a few years ago that looks just like the Celestron but had a different name. It's worked really well for the cost.

I've looked through a lot of spotting scopes and in my opinion all of the lower tier scopes (Konus, Celestron, etc.) are pretty much the same as far as image quality and ability to pick up mirage. You're probably not going to reliably see .223 or 6mm holes at any real distance with any of them (you might get lucky if the conditions are just right.)

The mid tier (Kowa) have marginally better image quality but they're much more rugged. You have a better chance of seeing holes but I still wouldn't count on it. They do pick up mirage better and it's easier to watch traces with them.

If you're a light or occasional user I'd go with whichever one of the cheaper ones is on sale. If you use it every weekend and it gets tossed in the back of your truck to bounce around when you go to road matches the Kowa is worth the extra money just for the ruggedness.

If you have the means the Kowa with the flourite or whatever lens is a nice upgrade but they're too rich for my blood. I do take donations though.

In any case you want the long eye relief eye piece, even if you don't wear glasses.

Last edited:
The LER on the Celestron is fixed at 30x magnification. That doesn't help me when viewing .223 holes. Maybe swap it out as needed? idk

The LER on the Celestron is fixed at 30x magnification. That doesn't help me when viewing .223 holes. Maybe swap it out as needed? idk

We where able to see 22 holes with a members Celestron LER , well for about 10 minutes then the light changed and they vanished.
I use my scope for shooting matches. A zoom eye piece might get you a little more mag but as mentioned the resolution clearity and eye relief diminish quickly.
My Konus served me well for 5 years with normal use but not white glove gentle care. Above 30x it was ok eye relief was reduced quickly though. If you go anywhere between 30 and 60 x with it any where inside 300 you cant focus it well. Think putting on up close corrective lens and looking down range.

sadly I cant do a side by side test my konus was stolen a few weeks ago. I had all intentions of trading it up to the kowa through jarheadtop but I no longer shoot as much as I used to and spending more than 600$ was just not in the cards. I split up the difference and bought the Celestron and 500$ worth of needed bullets. running to low to wait to buy more bullets.

I have the standard Celestron- I'll have to look to see what magnification it is. Pretty happy with it- good enough for my purposes. .223 holes no problem at 100 yards and .308 at 200. Haven't used it for anything else.

I use full magnification all the time. I used it today to spot my holes at 100 & 200.

The 100mm Celestron is 22-66x and the wide lens allows me to see all of our steel at 200y maybe around 40-50x or so. Enough to spot rounds on the eye box.

Ok so I received the Celestron regal LER 27 x 80
Right from the package
1. Packed 100% better than the konus
2. The "stay on" carry case is 100% better than the cheap nylon Konus bag
3. The Lens caps are 100% better and actually stay/screw on also has the typical small rubber lens cover for the eye piece.
4. I know it's not always a indicator of quality but it just feels better.
Have not a chance to play with it on the range but a few other things right from the box I noticed.

Weight noticeably heavier I looked it up and it's about 1lb more @ 3.5lbs.

The sun shade does not feel like it will break if you extend it.
The adjustments feel good and smooth.
The clarity from my quick test appears to be better.
The mount has 4 holes and the mount is metal vs plastic with metal insert on the Konus.
Eye relief is 32mm and this showed instantly that it is better than the Konus. I didn't have to move around as much to find the view.
So is it worth 300$ more than the Konus ? Are there other scopes out there with 32mm eye relief and decent contrast and clarity..... I couldn't find much when I was looking and bought the Konus . I hope to play with it today shooting 17,cal air rifle at 65 yards.

Now for 230$ the Konus 20x60x80 was a pretty darn good scope vs anything I tried. I seldom used my high mag X on my konus. Anything over 30x seemed to just loose clarity and the adjustment was just not fine enough.
From what I have seen and tried there's not much in scopes that are better than the Konus for under 300$ and not much if anything better than the celestron for under 500$.

I was looking at Vortex because of the Guaranty but they don't offer a LER in the sub 600$ models and their LER eye piece is 200$ if I read it correctly this only fits the Razor model at 1000$-1600$ and you need to buy the LER for another 300$?

I have a Kowa TSN-880 with a 27X long eye relief eyepiece and I can see .223 holes out to 300 yards on most days. If there is heavy mirage or high humidity it is hit or miss.

I could only find the 883 and 884 seems the 880 is no longer.... and at 2k plus ouch

Hey Mac,

When will we see you at a match at NFGA.
Been a couple years.

We still have a good amount left on the schedule.

George

Have yet to make it to any match out side of reading. As much as I like to come up and shoot other clubs. Wife works weekends and kids still need baby sitters so no long travel for me.
I have been trying to plan vacations around shoots so I can shoot and wife and kids can go do something else. I can only hope my kids will want to shoot when they are old enough and we can still shoot.

Back
Top Bottom