• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PRS Scopes and progressive lens eyeglasses???

Cuz

NES Member
Ok, so I've been messing around with the scope I have and confirmed that trying to aim at blurry stuff 25 yards away won't work. I'm going to need a scope that can focus closer than 50 meters. While screwing around, I notice I'm having a hard time just getting behind the scope and getting a clear picture, mostly because of my eyeglasses. I have progressive lenses, and it seems difficult just sitting at a bench, I can't imagine how it would be from multiple positions.

What are you folks that are near-sighted doing when shooting? Do you keep your glasses on? Or switch to plain non-prescription safety glasses? Something different???

Thanks.

I'm severely nearsighted and need corrective lenses all the time. I can/have shot matches with glasses, but I strongly prefer to wear contacts. That's me. There are lots of good shooters who wear prescription eye glasses. It might be the way you have the rifle/scope setup.

I use progressives now. Had the problem you describe Cuz. I had a pair done with the with reading on top of lense instead of the bottom. For me it was a game changer. Few other guys did this and worked for them as well. Might be worth trying.

I use progressives now. Had the problem you describe Cuz. I had a pair done with the with reading on top of lense instead of the bottom. For me it was a game changer. Few other guys did this and worked for them as well. Might be worth trying.
Thanks, I played that game when I was shooting iron sighted pistols. After about 6 years of that it finally got too hard to do anything else, like score targets, etc. so I gave it up, went back to my regular glasses and started shooting a red dot.

I’m hoping it was just me and not setting up the scope correctly. More research is needed.

I too wear contacts, the same prescription for everyday life works for all types of shooting. You will need to spend some time getting the scope set up with the correct eye relief. Also the scopes diopter adjustment, read the manufactures instruction on how to do this properly, or find a video explaining it.

I too wear contacts, the same prescription for everyday life works for all types of shooting. You will need to spend some time getting the scope set up with the correct eye relief. Also the scopes diopter adjustment, read the manufactures instruction on how to do this properly, or find a video explaining it.
Unfortunately, I looked into contacts many years ago, they don't work for me. I just had my eyes checked last week, and I also have cataracts starting to develop, so that will probably add a level of complication over the next 10 years or so.

As far as setting up the scope, I'll have to do that multiple times. First get it all set up, then start shooting, and realize I didn't really know what I was doing when i set it up, so repeat the process and try again. Then, I discover I have all the wrong gear because I can't hit shit (must be the gear...), so I have to replace everything and throw all the old (but only used once or twice) stuff into my "for the kids" pile and start again. Usually after the third round of this I end up getting into something else. Come to think about it that's how I ended up here, I started out shooting Trap, bought the nice OU shotgun, then another one "for the kids", lots of gear, sucked at it, next thing you know, I'm starting up in Precision Rimfire. Now that I think about it again, I think I got into Trap because precision centerfire didn't work out, the targets were too far away, and hard to hit. I could tell right away it would take practice to get good at it, so I knew it wasn't the game for me.

I think I need to go buy a new bipod or something. I'm really good at buying stuff online...

If you get proven quality gear to start off with, stuff that you know is working well for others, you can rule out the 'must be the gear' mentality. Personally I need a high level of that to have much accountability of my own or failures - or success.

Seriously tho, nothing will beat a sport strap behind the head slid onto each stem of your glasses. Keep a clean lense cloth in an accessible clean empty pocket and pad that nose piece so you can wear em tight. Thats what i do. Contacts are a problem waiting to happen. If everything goes perfect, murphys law anyone, they are probably great - that day.

Back
Top Bottom