• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a little advice - M1 Garand CMP

rocket500

NES Member
I've had an order in with CMP for what will be my first M1 Garand. I ordered a service grade Springfield. They are now on backorder and I have an email offering me a substitution of one of the following:

HR field grade- $525
HR service grade- $625
Winchester field grade- $695
Winchester service grade- $795

Or I can keep the Springfield on back order.

Any advice?

I had the same thing and got the SG Winchester. I've seen some nice FG Winchesters going out in this batch too. You usually get a more complete Winchester with the FG's because they seem to have gone a long time between rebuilds.

Here is the thread on mine.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/241292-I-just-got-a-Winchester-M1

By the way, the CMP isn't selling Winchesters, but they are still selling H&R's.

They also are shipping one of these substitution rifles within 2 weeks so let them know as soon as possible. I got mine in about a week after I chose the Winchester.

Last edited:
SG HR for sure: excellent shooters.

Issue with "Winchester" is that it's likely the only part on it that is Winchester is the receiver, and their receivers weren't particularly good. Barrel, stock, even trigger group and op rod are likely SA parts.

i guess i'm still almost a month out on my order...ugh. I would prefer an H&R just because it's from WISTAH! I don't remember the building on Park Ave, but supposedly my grandfather worked there after serving in 3 of the four existing branches of service in WWII (Army and Navy) and post war (Air Force.) He passed when I was a kid, but I think I'd feel a connection through a rifle he might have helped make.

Last year I had the same thing, where they asked if I wanted to sub, and I went with the other SG model and it shipped within a few days and I was very happy!

As mentioned, there will be very little "collector" value between the choices. Thecprice swing for the Winchester is just the fact of less production. 500,000 or so. One thing about Winchester m1s is it will be of WWII era.
Personally if you want a better shooter go with the HRA service grade.
The cmp cherry pics the rifles and picks the best for auction.
As some mention you may choose for other reasons also. I started a "made in Massachusetts" subcatagory of my gun collecting. The first two specimens where a no brained. Springfield and HRA M1 garands! The HRA are nice. Both of mine are very good condition vs my Springfield service grades.I sold my Winchester it shot horrible and as previously mentioned the reciever was the only Winchester part.
Guy I sold it to rebarreled it and put some correct parts on it?

The wait is killing me, if I get the email to switch I think I may go for the HRA too, I'd prefer a better chance at a good shooter over a particular date range, from what I've heard the HRA may have the edge in this case.

The wait is killing me, if I get the email to switch I think I may go for the HRA too, I'd prefer a better chance at a good shooter over a particular date range, from what I've heard the HRA may have the edge in this case.

I have always tested each of my garands right from the box. After cleaning it of course. Before doing any type of " accuracy " improvements and with the same lot of hxp ammo. The HRA win. Even with all the tweaks with in JCG match rules for accuracy. The HRA group better. My 1952 SA SG is still my thorn. She will shoot great sometimes. I tried fitting a new stock with out any improvement.
Now they all shoot measurably better with hand loads.
I have high hopes for my latest HRA with lmr barrel. She shot very well out of the box. Loose gas cylender and all.

Here we go. Gun is overall in decent shape. Handguards look new or near new and are very dark. Stock is pretty well used and a bit dry looking- quite a lot lighter in color than the hand guards. The receiver looks to be in good shape. Barrel show a fair bit if exterior wear. Not sure about the marks on the stock- an eagle with stars and a circle "p".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 34
that's the DAS stamp on the stock, its a good thing! I've seen handguards like that on SG SA's too, pretty sure they are new stained birch. Looks pretty nice though, now strip it down and get it ready for the range!

you could try a bit of Murphy's oil soap on the stock to clean it up then hit it with some oil, I've used mineral and lemon oil both with good results.

The supplied en bloc clip looks pretty sad to me. Not sure it will function.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 27
if you're near the northshore and need one, I've got some spares. Looks like it would be ok though

Ok, it's been stripped, cleaned and is ready to go. Other than the stock the rest of the gun is in quite good condition. Surprisingly good, given its age. The stock is fair. Lots of gouges and scratches but no cracks. None of the numbers seem to match although oddly some are very close.

Not it hard to take apart but it took me a while to get it back together!

Back
Top Bottom