• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a little advice - M1 Garand CMP

Ok, it's been stripped, cleaned and is ready to go. Other than the stock the rest of the gun is in quite good condition. Surprisingly good, given its age. The stock is fair. Lots of gouges and scratches but no cracks. None of the numbers seem to match although oddly some are very close.

Not it hard to take apart but it took me a while to get it back together!

Numbers do not match on M1s. Its more like "correct parts for time frame of build" its a service grade it may have correct parts it may not. Its been through the arsenal a few times in its life. Seeing your numbers it either had a new barrel on before it went into mothballs or was used very little. 2 and 2 is about as close to new as your going to get. Nice rifle now have fun and go to a cmp shoot!

Ok, it's been stripped, cleaned and is ready to go. Other than the stock the rest of the gun is in quite good condition. Surprisingly good, given its age. The stock is fair. Lots of gouges and scratches but no cracks. None of the numbers seem to match although oddly some are very close.

Not it hard to take apart but it took me a while to get it back together!

As mentioned above, the numbers you find stamped are not serial numbers, and hence will never match. They are actually Drawing Numbers. That means that each part with a number is refering back to the design drawings, and serves as a reference for what the part is. That's why many seem close, but don't quite match. If you really want to determine originality/correctness, you'd need to look at the drawing number and determine not only the manufacturer( -SA = Springfield, HRA = Harrington & Richardson, WRA = Winchester), but also the appropriate change number. For Instance a '43 Springfield manufactured M1 might have a bolt marked D2827-12SA B3. One could look at that and say, there is a real possibility that this is the original bolt, as Springfield was using bolts marked with this drawing number in June of '43. However, if the bolt was marked 652827-SA Z3, one would know that the bolt could not be original to the gun, as Springfiled was marking their bolts in that way during the period of January '55 to December '57.

I've found this site to be very helpful in understanding the different components and manufacture dates of my M1's. Certainly may have flaws and not likely as comprehensive as some of the books out there, but helpful none the less

http://usriflecal30m1.com/

Hope that helps.

Chris

Thanks, stuff I did not know. The barrel shows wear on the finish externally and definately looks used but the bore looks excellent.

Back
Top Bottom