Navy SEALs tell top House lawmaker they don't have enough combat rifles

Reptile

NES Member
WASHINGTON – The tip of the spear may be losing its edge.

Navy SEAL teams don't have enough combat rifles to go around, even as these highly trained forces are relied on more than ever to carry out counterterrorism operations and other secretive missions, according to SEALs who have confided in Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif.

After SEALs return from a deployment, their rifles are given to other commandos who are shipping out, said Hunter, a former Marine who served three combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. This weapons carousel undercuts the "train like you fight" ethos of the U.S. special operations forces, they said.

Hunter said he's been contacted by several SEALs, but he declined to provide further information about the weapons they use in order to protect their identities.

U.S. military officials said they were looking into the issue.

Sharing rifles may seem inconsequential. It's not. The weapons, which are outfitted with telescopic targeting sights and laser pointers, are fine-tuned to individual specifications and become intensely personal pieces of gear.

"They want their rifles," Hunter said. "It's their lifeline. So let them keep their guns until they're assigned desk jobs at the Pentagon."

The problem isn't a lack of money, according to Hunter. Congress has frequently boosted the budgets of special operations forces in the years since the 9/11 attacks, he said. Rifles also are among the least expensive items the military buys, leading Hunter to question the priorities of Naval Special Warfare Command, the Coronado, California, organization that oversees the SEALs.

"There is so much wasteful spending," he said. "Money is not reaching the people it needs to reach."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-lawmaker-dont-have-enough-combat-rifles.html

-------
I guess they will have to buy their own rifles.

Sharing rifles may seem inconsequential. It's not. The weapons, which are outfitted with telescopic targeting sights and laser pointers, are fine-tuned to individual specifications and become intensely personal pieces of gear. ...

Wait, I thought there were "standard issue" um, standards; for this VERY reason. Shouldn't everything all be the same?

..."They want their rifles," Hunter said. "It's their lifeline. So let them keep their guns until they're assigned desk jobs at the Pentagon." ...

Is a desk job at the Pentagon now a given?

-------
I guess they will have to buy their own rifles.

Wait, is this for duty use, or personal use?

If I was a SEAL and being sent to a war zone without a rifle - I'm going shopping.

They aren't being sent to war without a rifle. But according to the original post, when they come back from the war zone, their rifle is being taken from them and given to someone heading to a war zone.

Hillary has the solution. Confiscate the military weapons on the street and give them to our soldiers.

They aren't being sent to war without a rifle. But according to the original post, when they come back from the war zone, their rifle is being taken from them and given to someone heading to a war zone.

I would imagine the rifles need to be reworked after a decent amount of time in a war zone. I can only imagine the round count between training and actual combat these guys see.

They just deadlined a bunch of our rifles due to cracks and other wear, our M4's don't see nearly the action those rifles do.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/1...y-agencys-gun-recall-puts-them-in-danger.html

It's a ****ing joke really. The United States of America can't supply special operation forces with the right rifles. Something is most definitely ****ed up.

SEALs, microphones, tv cameras, shocker.

When 3rd Squadron 7th Cav led the advance into Iraq, most of their Scouts were equipped with captured AKM's because they didn't have enough M4's.

A Marine LT went the entire invasion without any magazines for his M9. I scouted around and bought him some from Brownells.

This is a no brainer to keep that rifle for that operator till the end of time or he wears it out. What a cluster on top of all the other clusters .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SEALs, microphones, tv cameras, shocker.

When 3rd Squadron 7th Cav led the advance into Iraq, most of their Scouts were equipped with captured AKM's because they didn't have enough M4's.

A Marine LT went the entire invasion without any magazines for his M9. I scouted around and bought him some from Brownells.
What a disaster. That sounds unbelievable but not surprised...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

But not 15 other brands a SOF would rather have. Which was the point of the article.

I know retards that would rather have their spike's or windham over a Noveske too.

Noveske, KAC, Larue is pretty much their list.

Well sure- 99.99% of us are the retards that would be just as well served with a Spikes or Windham. I'd like a Noveske just to have one but thus far have mostly opted to build and spend the extra $ on something from the mens' department- like a Garand.

LOL... I keed, I keed. (but only a little)

I wonder how many MK12's they could issue if we weren't wasting money on fighter jets that will never work.

After SEALs return from a deployment, their rifles are given to other commandos who are shipping out, said Hunter, a former Marine who served three combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. This weapons carousel undercuts the "train like you fight" ethos of the U.S. special operations forces, they said.

Well, what ****ing idiot decided that was a good idea????

But not 15 other brands a SOF would rather have. Which was the point of the article.

I know retards that would rather have their spike's or windham over a Noveske too.

Noveske, KAC, Larue is pretty much their list.

Well sure- 99.99% of us are the retards that would be just as well served with a Spikes or Windham. I'd like a Noveske just to have one but thus far have mostly opted to build and spend the extra $ on something from the mens' department- like a Garand.

Combat rifles can cost up to several thousand dollars depending upon the type of weapon and quality of the sights and other attachments. But the M-4 carbine, the standard combat rifle used by the military branches, cost less than $1,000 each when bought in bulk, according to Defense Department budget documents.

NES 'bulk buy'? I'd like a Noveske for $1K.

This is a pretty standard practice really, especially among reserve units or other non combat arms. Usually they go to a depot and get serviced and then transferred to the new unit.

Surprising to see this in NSW, seems like mismanagent within the command. They get plenty of money.

As for brands, COLT SOPMOD M4 kits are their standard.

This is a pretty standard practice really, especially among reserve units or other non combat arms. Usually they go to a depot and get serviced and then transferred to the new unit.

Surprising to see this in NSW, seems like mismanagent within the command. They get plenty of money.

Yup. This is not a funding issue. This is mismanagement in the command, and possibly a 4-shop with its head in its ass.

Combat rifles can cost up to several thousand dollars depending upon the type of weapon and quality of the sights and other attachments. But the M-4 carbine, the standard combat rifle used by the military branches, cost less than $1,000 each when bought in bulk, according to Defense Department budget documents.

NES 'bulk buy'? I'd like a Noveske for $1K.

Standard m4 is colt/fn

Consideration must be given to certain missions that SEALs are assigned to where this rifle exchange is the norm. Without too much detail....The reason being is that they are transiting thru an area that is not U.S. territory. They are not on a battlefield or base, the firearms are forbidden in the territory they are transiting thru and teams transit thru this territory on a frequent schedule to support the mission. Once on station (and out of that territory) they take possession of the outgoing team's firearms who then transit back thru the same territory..unarmed. This scenario could be the safest, simplest and most efficient/quick way to support the mission and not completely disregard the laws of a friendly country. I don't know much but I know the basic details of the mission and when I read the article I immediately suspected what it was and perhaps somebody is trying to make an issue of it.
That is all

Consideration must be given to certain missions that SEALs are assigned to where this rifle exchange is the norm. Without too much detail....The reason being is that they are transiting thru an area that is not U.S. territory. They are not on a battlefield or base, the firearms are forbidden in the territory they are transiting thru and teams transit thru this territory on a frequent schedule to support the mission. Once on station (and out of that territory) they take possession of the outgoing team's firearms who then transit back thru the same territory..unarmed. This scenario could be the safest, simplest and most efficient/quick way to support the mission and not completely disregard the laws of a friendly country. I don't know much but I know the basic details of the mission and when I read the article I immediately suspected what it was and perhaps somebody is trying to make an issue of it.
That is all

One would think that if SEALs are being deployed, the "laws" of where they are being sent would be ignored completely by design. WGAF about foreign laws when you're sending troops into battle?

This is the backwards ass decision making that ruins a country.

Back
Top Bottom