Natick mulls banning guns on town property

Gun restrictionist dog whistle alarm triggered on "common sense."

Gun restrictionist dog whistle alarm triggered by "reasonable."

h72CB195E

Yeah, because licensed gun owners are the problem, and all the nutcases with a beef against some local pol will observe the no guns sign, and wait patiently across the street before shooting someone.

They have a very hard time banning all guns, so they will start to chip away at our rights this way, by banning firearms on certain properties. Starting with Natick, others will follow making the law abiding having to eventually leave firearms at home. I can see it now. [roll eyes]

Fired from my HTC One with high capacity storage

NATICK – Town officials are mulling a potential fall Town Meeting article that would ban guns on town property such as parks and buildings.

The proposal stems from an incident where a person involved in what was described as a heated discussion at a public meeting appeared to have a gun. While officials are not sure the person actually had a gun, it brought to mind the ban, which Town Administrator Martha White and Police Chief James Hicks deem to be a "common sense proposal," according to a memo from White to selectmen.

No one was shot, no one knows if the guy who didn't shoot anyone even had a gun, so the proper course of action is to pass a law banning guns from public property? Makes perfect sense. Let's extend that reasoning a little.

It was a guy, so he probably has a penis and testicles. No one saw them, and he didn't sexually assault anyone, but to prevent any future sexual assaults, perhaps Natick should ban anyone with male genitalia from public property.

Make all of Natick a "penis free" zone and put up appropriate signage. [smile]

It would become very confusing and unmanageable if every hamlet, city, and town passed their own set of firearm restrictions. The state laws should be all that is necessary. To go beyond what is State and Federal statute and write your own picayune restrictions is ludicrous. How is a lawful gun owner carrying on a lawful LTC supposed to keep abreast of regulations that are different in every locality.

This is absurd. We need a bill filed that will make only state and federal regulations the only laws that will be enforced, PERIOD.

How about Natick specifically bans police details within city limits since the detail officers rarely ever do anything besides sit in their vehicle and read the newspaper. It's a common sense cost savings that should be implemented immediately.

The "over reaction" here tells me that the town administrator and the chief have irrational fears based on nothing more than speculation. Isn't THAT a mental disorder based on the DSM-IV? Do we want employees who irrationally fear lumps and bumps under clothing, in positions of power? Argument and heated exchanges are what town meetings are FOR. For someone to project THEIR fears onto YOU and feel that you will act as THEY FEAR THEMSELVES CAPABLE OF, and call that a valid platform for response, is, irrational, and thus a mental disease.
I am a TMM in Natick and I cannot WAIT to address this in public forum.
(I was "persuaded" from teaching a FREE firearm safety course in Natick town buildings because someone there "feared" having guns in the building). Watch out for the Frankenstein mob coming to YOUR town next!

Last edited:
He "APPEARED" to have a gun?
He either had one or he didn't!
If that isn't the ultimate Bullsh*t, lame assed, fear mongering fairy tale crap, I don't know what is.
You guys that live there hopefully will hammer that story hard.

So it any Natick resident moves to NH, do they automatically have to answer YES on question 6 now?

Hicks is a joke.

No one was shot, no one knows if the guy who didn't shoot anyone even had a gun, so the proper course of action is to pass a law banning guns from public property? Makes perfect sense. Let's extend that reasoning a little.

It was a guy, so he probably has a penis and testicles. No one saw them, and he didn't sexually assault anyone, but to prevent any future sexual assaults, perhaps Natick should ban anyone with male genitalia from public property.

Make all of Natick a "penis free" zone and put up appropriate signage. [smile]

It's ok,they have no balls right now.

How about Natick specifically bans police details within city limits since the detail officers rarely ever do anything besides sit in their vehicle and read the newspaper. It's a common sense cost savings that should be implemented immediately.

Defund the pd at town meeting

Did the gun influence the outcome of the argument?

Did the alleged carrier suddenly find everyone agreeing with him?

No?

Wow, that gun is fairly feckless.

Probably a .40

So I can only assume that MASS has no state preemption? You could not pass this load of sh!t in Rhode Island BECAUSE the state has preemption. The only laws a town can pass is actual discharge distances in relation to houses.
There is to a degree - I don't think the town can impose any criminal penalties without an approved "home rule petition".

These local things pop up from time to time, and often die once the facts are examined. It happened 20+ years ago when then selectman Fessenden was shocked, shocked I tell you, that AR15 were sold at the Arms Merchant (now the location of B&K); then in Weston not so long ago. Hopefully this one will die as well.

Since we are so keen on banning things:

I propose a ban on SWAT teams in Natick, and a ban on Natick police officers participating in regional SWAT teams.

Who will sign my town meeting warrant? We only need 10 signatures!

Fear isn't even the issue beyond using it as a tool to gin up public support. The pols saw an _opportunity_ to pass a gun prohibition ordinance under the auspices of public safety.

IIRC, Natick has an ordinance that prohibits sale of lighters and matches to minors.

It was proposed by a minor that had a psychological condition that made him start fires.

At least, they're consistent. [rolleyes]

perhaps Natick can also ban auditory and visual hallucinations as well, so we don't have to worry about any psychotic folks -> violent.

so a person may have had a gun.......didnt use it to threaten anyone but may have had one so now we must ban all guns from town premises?
Imagine being arrested, charged, brought before a jury and lose and jailed because someone you've never seen, or met, had a panic attack and called the police because he/she thought you had a gun, and all the legal system required for conviction was proof the person had a panic attack, said the word "gun" and pointed at you.

How's their drug ban on school property working out?

This should be brought up in any discussions held about this latest ban. Make sure it is on cable TV, going out to the masses. Call the cable TV folks and invite them over to have them record it, if that is what it takes. It is up to YOU to create your own destiny.

Holy crap! I bene one lucky SOB then. I never knew that. What kind of town runs meters on weekends?

Every city/town in MA that I've ever been in, the meters are effective Mon-Sat. Some places (tourist places) also include Sundays. ALWAYS read the meter and don't assume anything.

The selectman mentioned, Josh Ostroff, he's a douche. A good friend of Linsky's, a Dem town committee member (long time) and a big time far left liberal. The majority on the school board and selectmen are also members of the democrat town committee. Natick is much more like Newton than 20 yrs ago. Quite a few who moved to a town, then tried to change it.

Back
Top Bottom