Natick mulls banning guns on town property

Every city/town in MA that I've ever been in, the meters are effective Mon-Sat. Some places (tourist places) also include Sundays. ALWAYS read the meter and don't assume anything.

This. The point of parking meters isn't the paltry money they bring in but to encourage turnover on parking spaces.

The warrant closed yesterday. I haven't seen it and have no official word, but the Metrowest Daily News article indicates the gun ban is in there:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/article/20140823/NEWS/140828301
Town administration has proposed a gun ban that would include municipal buildings after a person involved in what was described as a somewhat heated discussion at a public meeting appeared to have a gun. Officials are not sure the person actually had a gun, but it brought to mind the ban.

Well, that IS the home of...

Rep.Linsky.jpg

so if the residents are voting in this guy, I'm not surprised they would support this.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

yah, except this time it's two unelected town officials who added the article to the warrant, the CLEO (Hicks) and a town administrator.

It's in the warrant, article 1.

ARTICLE 1
Amend Town By-Laws to Prohibit Firearms on Public Property
(Board of Selectmen and Town Administrator)
To see if the Town will vote to amend the General By-Laws, specifically Article
50 – Police Regulations, by adding a new Section 15a therein, as follows:

“Section 15 a Prohibition of Firearms on Public Property
No person shall carry or possess a firearm of any kind (including but not
limited to a rifle, shotgun or handgun) on property owned or leased by, or
otherwise under the care, custody or control of, the Town of Natick, including
but not limited to all buildings, structures, parks, playgrounds, open spaces, or
other public properties. This restriction shall not apply to law enforcement
personnel, nor shall it apply to active duty military personnel carrying out
authorized military exercises,” or otherwise act thereon.

Wow... just wow...

So did this pass

This is the town meeting warrant - i.e. the public "warning" of articles that will be decided at town meeting. Town meeting starts Oct 21 and proceeds Tuesdays and Thursdays from there. Before town meeting the Finance Committee and probably the Selectmen will hold public hearings on the article.

It's in the warrant, article 1.

Wow... just wow...

Are streets not an open space under the control of the Town?
[puke]

IANAL, but my non-lawyer reading says, NO POSSESSION on any town streets/sidewalks, etc.

ETA: This would also mean no gun shops as they couldn't legally bring in or let you leave with any firearms.

This is precious.

Bring it. Natick will be paying a lawyer bill in the near future.

Sic 'em!

Glad that I upped my monthly contribution level this month.

Considering the dirtbags behind this, a massive lawsuit couldn't happen in a nicer town!

This is so bad it's almost laughable. Federal courts recently ruled that the post office could not ban firearms in their parking lots - so there's no way such an extensive ban on possession on public property would hold up. Why should I help make their bylaw "better" by fighting it? - if it can't be killed outright it might be better for this to pass as-is.

If town counsel looked at this first and allowed it to be worded like this they should be fired. Then again these are the same lawyers who wasted money defending the chief against the Commonwealth's laws at the same time the AG was essentially throwing in the towel.

Why is that so complicated for you to understand? It's common sense, makes total sense.

Notice in the OP's article the town manager said it would make sense to ban weapons from where tempers could flare up. Then they come out with a warrant for town meeting that bans it from parks, streets, all town buildings, etc. So tempers could flare up at the town library? Late fees are a quarter I think. How about at the park, sitting on a bench might push someone over the edge.

Ah, the ago-old time-tested libtard mantra to justify their next set of only-for-you-ad-not-for-me rules: The "what-if" scenario. What if he had a gun? What if he got angry and shot someone. We must enact measure to ensure this thing that has not happened will never not happen again....

So this looks like it's definitely going up for a vote at the Natick town meeting in October. I've contacted a few town officials and they really have no idea what time of day it is. I think the best position to take is to let it go to town meeting as is and show up in force and get it voted down. Anything prior to that, they might rewrite it narrower where it has a better chance to pass and be upheld in federal court. They really have no idea what they wrote, how broad it is and how badly unconstitutional it is. I was told the town administrator wrote it and I suspect had very little legal help. She really has no clue that she wrote a complete ban on possessing a gun in Natick off private property.

Article 1, the text of the article was posted here already but there it is in the warrant on page 3.

http://www.natickma.gov/sites/natickma/files/file/file/14ftm_posting.pdf

Can someone chime in on if towns and cities are legally allowed to write bans on carry in say town parks and buildings under MA state law? I doubt you could be arrested for it but could they fine you, etc? I have very little knowledge of this area of MA state law. Thanks.

They should do this correctly and ban the appearance of guns, not actual guns. The alleged gun holder probably just had a smart phone holstered under an untucked shirt.

So, arrest anyone who looks like it is possible they could have a gun. I would support that. If you are going to go retard, might as well go full retard. It is more entertaining that way.

/thread

Another flaw I noticed (among many) - Natick has town operated senior housing, so this would, as written, be a direct violation of Heller.

People will be focusing on "town meeting" and "what if tempers flare", so it will be relevant to point out that guns are already banned at town meeting since it is generally held at a school.

Another flaw I noticed (among many) - Natick has town operated senior housing, so this would, as written, be a direct violation of Heller.

People will be focusing on "town meeting" and "what if tempers flare", so it will be relevant to point out that guns are already banned at town meeting since it is generally held at a school.

Yes, there is senior housing and it is owned in most cases, might be leased in others, by the town of Natick. I believe all town meetings are at the High school. Most if not all other meetings for zoning, board of health, selectmen, etc. are at the town hall.

This was part of the response from one of the selectmen.

....knowledge of what the laws are and citizens rights, I don't know why anyone would feel it necessary to carry a gun into a Library or at a meeting in Town Hall. Those are my feelings, but you are welcome to speak at the Selectmen's Meeting under Citizen's Concern.

If you're referring to Natick Housing Authority, they are an independent entity that is not owned or controlled by the town. I think they do receive some discounted/free recycling and maybe trash services. Or is there something else owned by the town?

If you're referring to Natick Housing Authority, they are an independent entity that is not owned or controlled by the town. I think they do receive some discounted/free recycling and maybe trash services. Or is there something else owned by the town?

Is the property owned by the town? The board for the housing is all elected on the town ballot like other offices. Is it like massport is to the state, quasi independent but still part of the town.

Is the property owned by the town? The board for the housing is all elected on the town ballot like other offices. Is it like massport is to the state, quasi independent but still part of the town.

They are completely independent as far as I can tell. The assessors map lists the owner of their property as "Natick Housing Authority" versus town own land is usually "Inhabitants of the Town of Natick", or "Natick School Committee", or "Natick Conservation Commission". Yes their board is mostly elected in local election (except one member appointed by the Governor).
Web GIS tool: http://www.mapgeo.com/natickma/

Housing Authority website: http://www.natickha.org/

Interestingly, however, MGL 121B indicates that they are created by a vote of the town/city.
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXVII/Chapter121b

PUBLIC HEARINGS PRIOR TO TOWN MEETING

The Natick Board of Selectmen has on their agenda for Monday 9/8 @ 7pm
Discussion and Decision

I do not think this is intended to be a public hearing, rather it may be discussion of whether or not to hold a public hearing.

The Finance Committee will hold a public hearing. This article is scheduled for Thursday Oct. 2nd. However, they may also have a subcommittee hearing before that time.

It will be important to attempt to convince the Board of Selectmen and the Finance Committee to recommend "No Action" or "Indefinite Postponement". "Referral to sponsor" would also kill it but send a message that a revision in the future might get a better reception.

I didn't read all nine pages of this thread... maybe someone already asked this.

Several cities/towns have tried and failed to enact gun laws that overrode (i.e. were more restrictive) than state law. San Fransico comes to mind. They tried to ban carry in city parks. The courts shot it down.

How is this Natick proposal any different?

Back
Top Bottom