N.H. Dog shooting

This notion that these rabbit were livestock is laughable and anyone putting that argument forward is really making a stretch. This guy didn't raise rabbits for food, he didn't sell rabbits, he did not depend on them for his livelihood, these rabbits were pets.

$0.33 .223 round to protect a $10 investment (and it's more than that really) sounds like a smart move to me. The reason people are being stupid about this is our society has become so far removed from our roots as farmers that the average person doesn't have a freaking clue how it works or what goes into it. If you put time and effort into keeping livestock, you protect that investment, no questions asked. The initial cost of the animal is trivial, as you feed, house, get vet care for, and breed animals carefully to get the results you want. In some cases it could be your livelyhood. But whether or not it was for that in this case is irrelevant. Getting rid of some yapping dog that will screw up potentially years of work is a no-brainer.

Investment?

Were these Sub-Pime rabbits?

Ignorant city dwellers trying to impose their values on a topic they know less than zero about on others. Have I incorrectly summarized the topic? I think not.

With the getting intimate part? Me too. They're soft. [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

This notion that these rabbit were livestock is laughable and anyone putting that argument forward is really making a stretch. This guy didn't raise rabbits for food, he didn't sell rabbits, he did not depend on them for his livelihood, these rabbits were pets.

So what?

Ignorant city dwellers trying to impose their values on a topic they know less than zero about on others. Have I incorrectly summarized the topic? I think not.

in your case , I agree, the law was written for ag. use to protect livestock. another look has to be given in the burbs, w.r.t. pets. on non farm small house lots.

None of us were there. For you people to say "that wasn't necessary" is bullshit. His property, his call. Your property, your call.

Your 30 round mags aren't necessary - boy how you react to that one...

What if I had pet mice in a cage in my backyard and my neighbors dog got lose and started barking would it still be cool for me to shoot the dog since mice scare easily?

What if I had pet mice in a cage in my backyard and my neighbors dog got lose and started barking would it still be cool for me to shoot the dog since mice scare easily?

If it's pissing on my lawn mower I may feel compelled to shoot it. The bottom line, keep your ankle biter off my property.

I think this is a perfect way to eff my crappy neighbor, buy a dumb rabbit set it up out back, now I have bait and revenge in one package.

What if you just keep your dog on your own property?

LOL!

Yeah, how many dogs have you owned where you were able to 100% of the time keep them on a leash or keep them from getting out accidently, it happens.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's pissing on my lawn mower I may feel compelled to shoot it. The bottom line, keep your ankle biter off my property.

A lawn mower isn't livestock and you didn't answer the question.

A lawn mower isn't livestock and you didn't answer the question.

I think I did, you just didn't get it. Maybe there was a better approach. I'm just not going to judge the guy. You may find yourself in a position where you feel you need a firearm. I don't think you'll want every internet warrior demonizing you over it.

All of them. Maybe irresponsible dog owners shouldn't own dogs. At least don't cry why your irresponsibility gets them killed.

Gee looks like we found the Dog Whisperer of NES.

100% control huh.

And I don't own any dogs now, but I had them for about 20 years and yes I kept them on leashes and yes a few of them got out on me a few times.

100% control huh.

And I don't own any dogs now, but I had them for about 20 years and yes I kept them on leashes and yes a few of them got out on me a few times.
I guess I've been lucky too. I've had two dogs in the last 12 years and neither have escaped my control.

100% control huh.

So if they got out and hit by a car, would you blame the driver or yourself?

I think I did, you just didn't get it. Maybe there was a better approach. I'm just not going to judge the guy. You may find yourself in a position where you feel you need a firearm. I don't think you'll want every internet warrior demonizing you over it.

I agree this entire discussion is merely mental masturbation and there is more to the story that we don't know.

Funny you say that because that is exactly how one of my dogs died when I was a kid.

My parents were coming up the drive way and this a**h*** always blocked our driveway that would visit the people next door, my old man honked the horn and I opened the door to see what was going on, out goes the dog right at the same time the guy was hurrying to move his truck, he never saw the dog and ran him over, the poor bastar died a few hours later. A nice german shepard and my favorite dog.

He died because I let him get out, it was my fault, the same as in this situation.

I'm not arguing that the owners were not repsonsible for what happened to the dog, they are, I'm saying that given what we know, this guy *might* have done things differently, and that killing a dog over two pet rabbits while legally acceptable doesn't sit well with me.

if the driver purposely swerved off the road and across someones front yard to hit my dog I would blame the driver of course, however this man was not target practicing and the dog ran in front of the bullet it was purposely shot.

I'm not arguing that the owners were not repsonsible for what happened to the dog, they are, I'm saying that given what we know, this guy *might* have done things differently, and that killing a dog over two pet rabbits while legally acceptable doesn't sit well with me.

Fair enough, and I agree that in my mind I would have handled things differently, but I'm not going to judge this guy because I wasn't there and it wasn't my property.

if the driver purposely swerved off the road and across someones front yard to hit my dog I would blame the driver of course, however this man was not target practicing and the dog ran in front of the bullet it was purposely shot.

Not what I asked. You are responsible for the whereabouts of your dog.

Fair enough, and I agree that in my mind I would have handled things differently, but I'm not going to judge this guy because I wasn't there and it wasn't my property.

Not what I asked. You are responsible for the whereabouts of your dog.

sure it is what you asked if we want to equate it to the original story otherwise it is a strawman

I just read 119 posts in this thread and I can't believe some of the drivel that has appeared here. This is really very simple - follow the logic:

1. What the rabbit owner did was legal.

2. None of you were there, so you have no idea whether there was more to this story - whether this was the first time or twentieth time the dog harrassed this rabbit cage.

3. Therefor, nobody here is qualified to judge the shooter. Saying what you would or wouldn't have done is a ridiculous exercise because you don't know.

For a board with so many self-professed libertarians, I can't believe there has been this much argument.

Maybe it is because not all Libertarians here are mindless, feelingless, reptilian cyborgs that see everything in black or white.

Besides it's Friday, and I suspect a lot of people are killing time waiting for the day to be over.

I just read 119 posts in this thread and I can't believe some of the drivel that has appeared here. This is really very simple - follow the logic:

1. What the rabbit owner did was legal.

2. None of you were there, so you have no idea whether there was more to this story - whether this was the first time or twentieth time the dog harrassed this rabbit cage.

3. Therefor, nobody here is qualified to judge the shooter. Saying what you would or wouldn't have done is a ridiculous exercise because you don't know.

For a board with so many self-professed libertarians, I can't believe there has been this much argument.

There's no disagreement from either party that the dog wasn't actively attacking something. That being the case there are plenty of non-douchebag ways to handle the issue.

No one is saying it wasn't legal and that it shouldn't be... nothing anti-libertarian about that. Nice try.

Seriously how much does a god dam rabbit cost anyways? $10.

Doesn't matter. My 8 year old has three little parakeets, they cost 15 bucks. For all I know in their native country they are flying rats, doesn't matter they are her pets and very dear to her. These were his rabbits on his property. Putting your value judgments over someone else's personal property is pretty darn hypocritical for gun owners.

Doesn't matter. My 8 year old has three little parakeets, they cost 15 bucks. For all I know in their native country they are flying rats, doesn't matter they are her pets and very dear to her. These were his rabbits on his property. Putting your value judgments over someone else's personal property is pretty darn hypocritical for gun owners.

The rabbits lives weren't in imminent danger. What part about this is so ****ing hard to comprehend?

Back
Top Bottom