N.H. Dog shooting

The guy could have just gone out at smacked the dog.

Was the dog really THAT dangerous at the time.

Sounds like a neighborly quarrel.

I have a farm. My wife raises dwarf goats and she has in excess of 70 of them. They represent 10+ years of planned acquisitions and breeding. She shows extensively and is a nationally recognized breeder. If a dog enters my property and starts harassing stock, as it is lawful, I would not hesitate to shoot it.

The outcome is totally avoidable if the owner maintains control of his dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What a friggin' scumbag this guy is who shot that dog because it was running around his rabbit hutch! I wish nothing but bad things for him.

It was a Britany, of course it was barking at the rabbits. That guy could have easily returned the dog, Britany's are not ( generally) aggressive to people in the least. What an idiot, shooting a family dog over barking at what were probably meat rabbits.

It's a bummer for the neighbor but keep your dog in your damn yard. As far as I'm concerned it was the dog owner's fault the dog died for not maintaining control of his animal. The guy might have been able to fend off the dog otherwise but who knows. Maybe the dog killed two of his chickens or rabbits last week and 3 the week before and he had enough.

ETA: Out yourself thread

They say their dog, Sadie, was shot in retaliation because they have complained about Gibbons' late night target shooting.

Is it legal to target shoot at night ????
I always heard that shooting at night was a no-no because of deer jacking.

We had legislation to remove "worrying" from the law a few years back. "Worrying" is a legal term meaning to attempt to bite. If you wait until the dog wounds the animal, well, then you have two dead animals.

The real question is whether the dog could have harmed the livestock in that situation. If yes, then snapping teeth at them is the line according to the law. If no, then the shooter should have some explaining to do. That is a matter of fact, not of law.

Not a cop, AND with an EBR? Division by zero posting this here.

Retired cop.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy shot a dog to piss off his neighbors. I hope he gets cancer and dies a slow painful death!

No. The dog was attacking his rabbits. On his property.

The whole incident wouldn't have happened if the dog owners were more responsible.

Shooter was a former cop. Afraid for his bunnies, he said he knew better than to approach a dog, fired a warning shot and then killed it when it didn't respond to the warning. [rolleyes] What a douche. Yes, the dog's owners should have been more responsible. Still not the way to handle it, IMNSHO.

Maybe I'm wrong, but at least in MA, I thought the whole "worrying" thing permitted someone to shoot a dog if they feared for their own personal safety, not that of another nearby animal.

RSA 466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.
The term "worrying" goes back to the 1800s version of the section and means to snap at with teeth.

Maybe I'm wrong, but at least in MA, I thought the whole "worrying" thing permitted someone to shoot a dog if they feared for their own personal safety, not that of another nearby animal.

In MA it is livestock and fowl. You can't protect domestic animals/pets which are just property.

In MA it is livestock and fowl. You can't protect domestic animals/pets which are just property.

Thanks. That's how I recall it. As in, "yes Occifer, I did shoot that dog because it charged [STRIKE=undefined]my dog [/STRIKE]me while we were out walking."

what effen homo shoots a britney? fag of the largest order.

he prob called for back up trying to arrest an 80 yr old woman.

I will just say I have and have had animals all my life and I keep them on my own property. If others did the same this would not happen.

shit happens... leashes break, clasps freeze... wireless devices fail... doesn't morally justify him for being a pansy ass piece of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

what effen homo shoots a britney? fag of the largest order.

he prob called for back up trying to arrest an 80 yr old woman.

this

not saying what he did should be illegal... but there's another way of dealing with this... were the dogs owner to drag him behind a truck on a gravel road i'd move to nullify were I on that jury.

Last edited:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJMEWYmlIc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D5kJMEWYmlIc

......for those who have never owned a Brittany. Great dogs but virtually unstoppable if they get their minds to something. I have seen mine do amazing things. However, with a neighbor with an obvious issue against me I would have ensured he stayed away from the rabbits. Thing is that if the rabbit cage was coyote proof it was definitely Brittany proof. He is a coward taking his feelings for his neighbors out on a 40 lb dog........

Why are you guys so pissed off? Because he was a cop? The guy was well within his rights to protect his property/livestock. One of the the pics. in the story showed the dog with one of those "invisible fence" collars, so seems to me there was either a problem or an attempt to train the dog to stay on the yard, looks like it failed.

Owner fails=dog looses

Get over it, the dog saw the rabbits as food, not toys, they can't help it. OWNERS FAULT!

Why are you guys so pissed off? Because he was a cop? The guy was well within his rights to protect his property/livestock. One of the the pics. in the story showed the dog with one of those "invisible fence" collars, so seems to me there was either a problem or an attempt to train the dog to stay on the yard, looks like it failed.

Owner fails=dog looses

Get over it, the dog saw the rabbits as food, not toys, they can't help it. OWNERS FAULT!

^^^^^yup^^^^^

I saw the interviews with the people who's dog it was and the guy who shot it.The guy said he shot the dog once from his second floor window because it was barking at his 2 rabbits. He said the stress could give them a heart attack. I guess the muzzle blast of a .223 doesn't bother them.

It's funny, (or tragic), what happens sometimes when folks start mixing ethics and the law...This guy is an a**h*** - plain and simple. It has nothing to do with whether or not he was 'within the law', or "oh well, the owners should have had more control over their pets". What it's really about is ethics. The "that dog could have given my bunnies a heart attack from barking" is bullshit - especially when you consider at least two rounds from an AR15 were fired, (probably more since most cops can't shoot). If you're trying to be a good steward of the world, you call the neighbor and at a minimum say: "Please, your dog is loose on my property and scaring my rabbits, come get it", or at a maximum: "Get your goddamned barky piece of shot off my property, or I'm going to kill it!" Either instance would do just fine as opposed to not getting off your fat ass and dealing with a small dog, but rather crack open your second floor window and shoot an animal who is (A) doing what an animal does and (B) loved by someone. What did he accomplish here? I suppose the "fu*k it - it's his property" crowd will say he got a nuisance dog away from his rabbits and I guess that's good enough - especially in a world where ethics and moral code oft take a back seat to simply putting forth a little effort to be human....

Back
Top Bottom