N.H. Dog shooting

There's no disagreement from either party that the dog wasn't actively attacking something. That being the case there are plenty of non-douchebag ways to handle the issue.

No one is saying it wasn't legal and that it shouldn't be... nothing anti-libertarian about that. Nice try.

Ah, so it's just the moral judgment against him, not a legal one? What happened to MYOFB that I see posted here about 50 times a day?

The rabbits lives weren't in imminent danger. What part about this is so ****ing hard to comprehend?

Libertarianism isn't about being in imminent danger...what is so hard to comprehend about that? Its about people being able to make decisions on whats best for them without infringing on others. The dog owner infringed on the rabbit owner and things were taken care of.

This guy must have really loved his rabbits. At my ski house in Maine there's a new neighbor and he has two pit bulls. It's a townhouse in a row of connected townhouses. My kids like to play outside and I've though about what I would do if his dogs got out and came at my kids. I'd shoot them without thinking twice, obviously. It's a scary thought and even scarier mental image, my kids being ripped to shreds by snarling animals in a fit of unreasonable rage. Once a pit bull tastes blood, it's all over, not to mention the lock jaw. I've heard that you need a crowbar to get them off. Imagine them not being able to grow up and live their lives. I get choked up just thinking about it. That's how this guy must have felt about his rabbits. Sad.

And the question is where do you draw the line of reasonability?

I have an ant farm for the kids, what if it was out back, and my neighbors dog came over and was barking at them and about to knock it over, potentially collapsing the tunnels and killing my ants, would these same people here argue that I had a right and an obligation to defend my "property" by killing the dog?

What about mice, or gerbals of hamsters?

This law is about protecting livestock, not uncommon household pets, but it is the law, and this guy is within his legal rights, but I sure as hell wouldn't want him as a neighbor.

So you agree with the duty to retreat laws. That's nice you live in the right place.

And dispatching a tresspassing dog and duty to retreat are somehow equivalent? The dog wasn't making off with his TV.. it was barking.

Last edited:
Libertarianism isn't about being in imminent danger...what is so hard to comprehend about that? Its about people being able to make decisions on whats best for them without infringing on others. The dog owner infringed on the rabbit owner and things were taken care of.

Libertarianism protected his right to defend his property, as it should have. Doesn't mean he's not an a**h***.

Man, it's got to feel sooo good to wake up in the morning knowing you wasted a family's dog for barking at a couple of rabbits, in a hutch.

Ah, so it's just the moral judgment against him, not a legal one? What happened to MYOFB that I see posted here about 50 times a day?

If someone is uncivil, it's the business of everyone around him and they should return the incivility. Furthermore, his actions reflect poorly on us as gun owners, be it unfairly.

This guy must have really loved his rabbits. At my ski house in Maine there's a new neighbor and he has two pit bulls. It's a townhouse in a row of connected townhouses. My kids like to play outside and I've though about what I would do if his dogs got out and came at my kids. I'd shoot them without thinking twice, obviously. It's a scary thought and even scarier mental image, my kids being ripped to shreds by snarling animals in a fit of unreasonable rage. Once a pit bull tastes blood, it's all over, not to mention the lock jaw. I've heard that you need a crowbar to get them off. Imagine them not being able to grow up and live their lives. I get choked up just thinking about it. That's how this guy must have felt about his rabbits. Sad.

Lets bring emotion into it that will help.

Lets modify the situation, lets put the dog on its owners, Joe rabbit owner put the hutch right next to the property line dog stays on it's side of the line but next to rabbits and barks, is it still okay to protect the rabbits?

Lets modify the situation, lets put the dog on its owners, Joe rabbit owner put the hutch right next to the property line dog stays on it's side of the line but next to rabbits and barks, is it still okay to protect the rabbits?

I was just trying to imagine what emotion I'd have to feel to shoot a dog for barking at rabbits in a cage. For me, the emotion was love. So I drew the conclusion that this guy loved his rabbits, you know, like you'd love a person.

ETA: I guess it's actually fear. Fear of a loved one being killed.

Yes. You are either allowed to protect yourself and property or not. I know he should have called the dog catcher, and if there wasn't one petitioned the town to hire one. A public employee would solve the problem.
And dispatching a tresspassing dog and duty to retreat are somehow equivalent? The dog wasn't making off with his TV.. it was barking.

Yes. You are either allowed to protect yourself and property or not. I know he should have called the dog catcher, and if there wasn't one petitioned the town to hire one. A public employee would solve the problem.

Comprehension fail, yet again. I never said he shouldn't be allowed to protect his property. Though in this case I don't think it was actually protected, but assuming it was... his action was beyond reprehensible.

If I lived next door to the guy who killed my pet dog, then my new pet rock would occasionally get loose on his property. And let me tell you, those pet rocks can be quite a nuisance.

But that wasn't the case, now was it? You can twist this any way you want to try and get you desired answer, but the guy shot a dog that according to the shooter's wife, was tearing up the back of the hutch.

But that wasn't the case, now was it? You can twist this any way you want to try and get you desired answer, but the guy shot a dog that according to the shooter's wife, was tearing up the back of the hutch.

we don't know what the case was other than the dog was shot and on the rabbit owners property. Legally he was right but we all know someone can be legally right and and be wrong at the same time, just like someone can be legally wrong but in reality they are right. you know like the black person sitting in the front of a bus they may be wrong but right at the same time.

It was mentioned already that the shots weren't fired next to the rabbit hutch. Most of the noise could have been in the house.

From what I have been able to find the decibel level of a barking dog at 3 feet is around 70 decibles. A power mower is 85 a power saw 110. Each increase of 10 decibles DOUBLES the perceived sound as it is a logrithmic progression. the .223 from an 18" barrel is 155db

at 50ft away the db of an AR has got to be a least 100+db, well above the threshold of a dog barking

Almost. a 3db increase is a doubling of the sound, not a 10db.

From what I have been able to find the decibel level of a barking dog at 3 feet is around 70 decibles. A power mower is 85 a power saw 110. Each increase of 10 decibles DOUBLES the perceived sound as it is a logrithmic progression. the .223 from an 18" barrel is 155db

at 50ft away the db of an AR has got to be a least 100+db, well above the threshold of a dog barking

If you would pay attention you would know that a dog barking in a rabbit's face can easily cause it to drop dead. It's not an exaggeration.

wouldn't gun shots potentially cause the same reaction?

It was mentioned already that the shots weren't fired next to the rabbit hutch. Most of the noise could have been in the house.

Almost. a 3db increase is a doubling of the sound, not a 10db.

None of this matters until you know whether or not the rabbits had good hearing. The could have been deaf for all we know.

[grin]

Ahhhhh... Who doesn't love the occasional "dog shooting" thread? It's a proven crowd pleaser.

Right, wrong, good or bad... The dog shooter didn't do gun owners any favors given the current climate. And did he HAVE to use an AR, just to add more fuel to THAT fire? Shit...

Yay my 1st post... Seriously this guy was within his rights to do what he did but he didn't have to do it. I suspect relations with the neighbor were sour before this because he just made an enemy for life. And there is my point. People who do stupid shit just because they can end up ruining it for the rest of us. He could have beat the dog with a stick or chucked a stone at it but instead killed someones beloved pet. Because he could. That said I'll bet those neighbors will think twice about screwing around with a gun toting nutbag...

People who let others make rules after people do stupid shit are the problem. Which is really all of us. What good is the freedom to do stupid shit if doing stupid shit gets the freedom to do stupid shit taken away? Just as dumb as burying guns.
Yay my 1st post... Seriously this guy was within his rights to do what he did but he didn't have to do it. I suspect relations with the neighbor were sour before this because he just made an enemy for life. And there is my point. People who do stupid shit just because they can end up ruining it for the rest of us. He could have beat the dog with a stick or chucked a stone at it but instead killed someones beloved pet. Because he could. That said I'll bet those neighbors will think twice about screwing around with a gun toting nutbag...

Back
Top Bottom