My wife is at her LTC class right now!

No, it was the Blue Stag School in Chelmsford. I shudder to think my description could apply to more than one place.

There was a MA Dealer in Norton whose home fit that description . . . well at least the kitchen did . . . I never ventured further than that into his home and only once at that.

The guy you refer to always has a table at all MA gun shows (and NH too, IIRC).

Yes there are undoubtably a few diploma mills out there. OTOH, I ran a HFS class a couple of years ago for a two people who needed it in order to get their LTCs under out wise laws. One was a SpecOps bird colonel just retired on his return from Afghanistan; the other was a Ranger captain back from Iraq. I spent just under an hour going over the Mass laws for them. Now exactly how long should they have been required to put up with me teaching them how to use firearms safely? Not wanting to upset the powers that be at the NRA's Education and Training division, let's just say that it was a somewhat shorter than usual class.

Ken

I've done that myself with guys who've just gotten back from the sand box, Ken. They've been over there shooting at the bad guys, and I'm going to tell them how to handle a firearm? Ah...yeah. However, and that being said, my "shortened" HFS is about 2 hours. I give them the MA laws, and I go over the safety rules and cartridge malfunctions with them. I also can't charge them for the course. There's not a whole hell of a lot I can do to help our troups, but that's one thing that is within my power. It's my way of saying thanks.

Someone who's never fired a gun before, or has only done it a few times get's the Basic Pistol course.

+1 Not to mention I've seen holders of DD-214's that don't know how to load a magizine. [thinking]

I've seen people with DD214's that can't spell magazine[smile]

That's a sweet sentiment, but a DD214 doesn't mean that the holder of the same has _any_ knowledge of Massachusetts' firearms laws.

It would be very sad if a former military member got in deep trouble with his guns or gun storage simply because he was not required to take the training conducted by a MA State Police Basic Firearms Safety Instructor, and wasn't even aware of the laws that he violated.

Darius Arbabi

What's sad is that former military guy didn't research the laws knowing that MA is a nanny state.

CA has more wacked out laws than this state,but my DD214 waived me from any BS classes in CA.

Sorry Darius,I don't buy into the nanny state idea that I need someone to tell me the MA laws,much less an instructor that is profiting off these licensing requirements.It's my own job to know the firearm laws I am bound to,it's shouldn't be somebodys job to tell me.It's all about personal responsibility,something you guys like to harp on,but for some reason when it comes to firearms,you guys seem to forget that part and buy into the MA nanny state frame of mind.

I don't think you guys even see the problem with range officers..LOL

These courses benefit the new shooter,and they are quite beneficial to them.To me,not so much.All that being said,I took all the classes,but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them.[smile]

Last edited:
The state law and CMRs mandate the MA gun law training. In my 31 years of shooting, including ~25 in law enforcement, I have been very depressed with the lack of gun law knowledge by law enforcement and every day shooters alike. Ignorance is bliss, and most have blisters! [sad]

Well my wife went to the PD today and applied for her permit. It is strange how some towns have so much trouble getting their permits, my wife did not even fill out an app. She just talked the LEO through the personal info and he took care of the rest even putting Class A "All Lawfull Purposes" into the computer without even asking her what she wanted (of course that is what she wanted). Then she looked it over and signed it, got printed, and pics taken. All set in about 20 mins.

Thank you to my local PD. Now comes the wait![rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom